Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I live in the Fort Shelby building, and we received an email today that demolition is starting this week...they've got the construction equipment in place and the adjacent back lot is closed off...too bad this couldn't be saved

^ it has to be approved, how about you fight it? voice your outrage? Why do you want to live surrounded by empty lots?

Quote Originally Posted by KnnNike View Post
    I live in the Fort Shelby building, and we received an email today that demolition is starting this week...they've got the construction equipment in place and the adjacent back lot is closed off...too bad this couldn't be saved
    This is ridiculous. This owner is awful.

Read the 2008 article from Crains about Moten.

It's almost humorous, that much scum in a human body.

Almost every deal and almost very person mentioned in the Crains article, that Moten has dealt with or been apart of in the past, we now know to be scandalous and complete garbage. I wont rehash the development deals or the names, read the 2008 article. Of course, all of players and deals seemed great at the time they took place, but we now now, the dirty details and negative effects theyve had on the city, not withstanding how many hundred of millions of dollars were ill gotten gains on these deals.

This guy makes the current fleecers of the city look like choir boys. Of course, those names are all in the Crains article too.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...ime-developers

"Can do Moten."

More like can steal and bribe everyone Moten!

One good guy in the Crains article on Moten - Chuck Forbes. And of course, he got screwed by Moten, the Illitches and the city.

Update, the Detroit City Council Planning and Economic Committee voted for an interim historic district status for the building but we're not really out of the woods yet since BSEED granted a demo permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    Update, the Detroit City Council Planning and Economic Committee voted for an interim historic district status for the building but we're not really out of the woods yet since BSEED granted a demo permit.
    Yes! So the demo permit is issued, but interim status allows it to be on the docket at the DHDC for potential historic district status?

Moten is wasting no time pulling an Ilitch. I hope the city will stop him before its too late. This city has lost too many historic buildings. There is no reason, when we have 24 miles of vacant land, to lose another for a surface parking lot.

Name:  IMG_3213.JPG
Views: 759
Size:  156.0 KB

The far west side of downtown is basically a glorified office park with every SINGLE building having its own surface parking lot or parking structure. This is sad that this guy thinks this is how a big city downtown should function and look like.

NO WAY!! save that building.

Do we start the pool on when it's coming down. I'll put in a bet for 9:00am Saturday.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2019/10/2...wntown-detroit

Funny how these buildings survived all these years not dependent on parking,even through the massive auto age,now all of the sudden they cannot survive without parking even when the future points to less parking is going to be needed.

What a building to destroy for a lousy 12 spaces,not a very good trade off.

How about lets never ever give pension money to scammers ever again.

They're tearing down that building for only 12 parking spots !?
    What a travesty !
    What is wrong with those people down at city hall ? they'll allow almost anyone who owns a build to demo it for parking spots.
    We have learn anything in 50 years SAD

Sadly, the building will be torn down.

This is ridiculous tearing down a perfectly fine building, for TWELVE PARKING SPOTS.

How about lets never ever give pension money to scammers ever again.
    It does not add up,project was funded as a viable project without the parking,then it becomes not a viable project without the parking.

Unless the original plan was based on the demolition from the start.

This is infuriating news. Honestly, I'm disgusted with Moten and city government. It seems to me that renovating the building into residential and retail and constructing a new garage on one or two of the lots Moten already owns on the block would make more sense as it would make Moten more money. He could also rent retail space in the new garage as well as rent out parking spaces to downtown employees. And, if he wanted to, a car rental business, gas station or car wash could go in the garage too.

But in typical Detroit fashion, the easy, shortsighted and plainly ignorant option is the one chosen. This is a scar on downtown's revitalization and an embarrassment to the city of Detroit.

Apparently this will be a hard demo since there's live wires and the basement is flooded. I hope there will be protests at least.

It seems most of the time council votes in favor of historical status like when they saved that huge crop of buildings in cass corridor. But now they're suddenly blinded by pension money in a landslide vote? WTF? I want to know who voted against it. Is James Tate the only council member who voted for the historic designation? So he's our only good guy. Wow, just wow.

Every bit of this is so shady, why now suddenly? Why can't he build a garage? Why cant he just make a deal that allows residents to park in a nearby garage? Like there are so many options.

So many back door dealings done and property given to con men back in 80's an 90's that are now still screwing us over as a thanks. Fort shelby's condo problems are not parking. I hope they sit there and never sell, I certainly wont be buying one.

Apparently this will be a hard demo since there's live wires and the basement is flooded. I hope there will be protests at least.

It seems most of the time council votes in favor of historical status like when they saved that huge crop of buildings in cass corridor. But now they're suddenly blinded by pension money in a landslide vote? WTF? I want to know who voted against it. Is James Tate the only council member who voted for the historic designation? So he's our only good guy. Wow, just wow.

Every bit of this is so shady, why now suddenly? Why can't he build a garage? Why cant he just make a deal that allows residents to park in a nearby garage? Like there are so many options.

So many back door dealings done and property given to con men back in 80's an 90's that are now still screwing us over as a thanks. Fort shelby's condo problems are not parking. I hope they sit there and never sell, I certainly wont be buying one.
    The entire council voted for it's demolition. The one for against was an absentee vote. I agree this off and infuriating

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    The entire council voted for it's demolition. The one for against was an absentee vote. I agree this off and infuriating
    That doesn't make sense, so Tate voted against it despite introducing it? How would an absentee vote count? What kind of musical chairs...

And who exactly was absent?

There are 9 council members. 7 voted against the study. One voted for it. One was absent.

A council member must be present to vote.
    Last edited by ndavies; October-03-19 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    There are 9 council members. 7 voted against the study. One voted for it. One was absent.

A council member must be present to vote.
    Ah, well I just look stupid then. Thanks for the correction

Love

I want to know exactly who was absent and who voted for what. Where is this information?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast