Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Suh was talking the other day about how the Lion's beat the Packers, a team that is now in the Superbowl. Some on sports talk radio said that beating the Pack doesn't mean anything. I kinda think it does. That was a big game for the Packers that they needed to catch Chicago. Sure, Rogers only played half the game, but when he was in he was ineffective against the Lion's defense. And our best QB didn't play at all. I think beating a team that went to the Superbowl says a lot. Would like to hear my fellow Lion's fans thoughts on this.
    Statistically for the Lions, it's just another W and in the big picture, it really didn't matter that much to won/loss record. We weren't going to the playoffs. But I think if they, the players feel as though it's a watershed moment for them, then so be it. So much of the game is also played on raw emotion so I can see how they feel as though it is important. It was a game the Lions weren't supposed to win [[weren't we like 12 point underdogs?) and somehow they managed to hang in there to win.

-Clinically, it didn't mean beans.

-Emotionally, it could be a building block to changing the losing mentality of this team- in the long run.

If Ndamukong Suh and his team mates can use that seminal moment as a rallying cry to dig deeper in future games, then it's got some value. It's valuable experience to the younger players in understanding the potential that they have. I think it also bonds the individual players to one another and more importantly at the time, I think it also gave them trust again in Jim Schwartz and his coaching staff. If memory serves me correctly- there was some doubt about Schwartz' ability, specifically with his time & game management. That Green Bay game probably brought back a lot of the credibility in Schwartz' message to the team.

As a fan, I loved it then and I'm still savoring some of that Kool-Aid weeks later. It made us believers again and we felt pretty darn good about it; I can only imagine what it did for them.

I'm seriously looking for more scraps and battles like that this upcoming year [[if the lock-out doesn't KO the season). I'm hoping that we'll be on the winning side of the ledger more so than not- but then as a loyal fan, I expect no less.

I'm a fan, but I think we should be focusing on the future, not the past. The packer game was just a game, last season. Let's look to the next season, if there is going to be one. The old saying that, "on any given Sunday, any team, can beat another". As football fans, we know that it's certainly true. Let's look ahead, not backwards. IMO, beating the pack was a good game, and that's all. If it's a sign of the future for us, that's well and good. Other than that, it's just a victory in the win column for last season. Come on 2011!!!!

Suh was talking the other day about how the Lion's beat the Packers, a team that is now in the Superbowl. Some on sports talk radio said that beating the Pack doesn't mean anything. I kinda think it does. That was a big game for the Packers that they needed to catch Chicago. Sure, Rogers only played half the game, but when he was in he was ineffective against the Lion's defense. And our best QB didn't play at all. I think beating a team that went to the Superbowl says a lot. Would like to hear my fellow Lion's fans thoughts on this.

Your darn right is was a huge win for us. That was a big game for GB and is proves we can compete with the best. And your right Rodgers was not effective the first half, our D was very good and we used our 3rd string QB. Teams like Detroit have to plant seeds and start moving up, the end of the year was just that. We beat a superbowl team, and won some road games which was very important.

It may well be the start of a turnaround. Let's hope so. come on 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Teams like Detroit have to plant seeds and start moving up, the end of the year was just that. We beat a superbowl team, and won some road games which was very important.
    Let's not forget the fact that some of those victories were against teams still in the playoff hunt. Our team really didn't have anything to play for other than pride- and it showed.

I really also hope that those few performances also showed to the rest of the league that we're no longer the laughing stocks and we could actually be a destination for other talented free agents to come to. I'm also liking the fact that even though Suh didn't play in the Pro Bowl, he still showed up [[he deserves a free trip to Hawaii if ever there was a Lion that deserved it) and talked up our team a little bit. He very well could've stayed home and relaxed but I'm sure he rubbed some elbows there and was noticed by the others.

Suh very well could be that enigmatic leader that our team hasn't had in eons. Even as great as Barry Sanders was, he was never one to rally his team. Suh very well might be the guy that can get some things done off the field for this team. If he truly believes that this team is headed somewhere [[and I think he does), he could be the glue that binds this team together. Imagine if he were to be the guy who goes up to Calvin Johnson in a few years and convinces him to stay for a shot at bigger & better things in Detroit. Imagine Suh actually recruiting other free agents who want to play alongside him. From all accounts he seems to be a bright, articulate, well spoken young man. He's also moved here which shows a commitment to the area and that's really refreshing to see.

For a guy who plays such a mean role on a team, Ndamukong Suh could very well be the soft spoken lightning rod that attracts the best to this area. Beyond the awards and accolades handed down to him from the league, he's quickly become the fan fave and I can't wait to hear that roar of "SUUUUUUH!" echoing at Ford Field again.

No more blackouts.

Well there you have it, we beat the Super Bowl champs. Can't wait for next season.

Well there you have it, we beat the Super Bowl champs. Can't wait for next season.
    Next season, eh? Let’s see how the league fares come March 3rd when the lock out could conceivably start. Roger Goodell needs to do everything in his power as commissioner to make sure that the NFL continues- not just for the fans’ sake but for the owners as well. It’s a huge money making juggernaut that really shouldn’t stop moving forward at all.

There are fewer than four weeks to hammer out such hotly contested issues such as:

-A proposed 18 game season, to which I would not want to see. As much as I love watching the game, it’s a long enough season already and people are just getting hurt way too much. I’d much rather see more quality than quantity.

-A rookie wage scale, which makes sense considering how much some of these completely unproven players are making. Some of these busts are still crippling teams in this day and age of the salary cap [[think Jamarcus Russell of the Raiders… ouch!). This is an issue that I think needs to be resolved quickly for all professional sports. If money is saved here somehow for the owners, I’m sure the NFLPA will want to see it distributed elsewhere for their rank & file.

-Health and safety issues which will always be a work in progress. Concussions have been on the rise and something needs to be done there from the players, the equipment manufacturers, and the League. Again, another reason NOT to have an 18 game season. Esquire magazine [[of all places) ran a great and scary article about the injuries:

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/feat...l-lockout-2011

-Players retirement funding which is huge considering the career lifespan of a lot of these players is minuscule. Sure the elite players get guaranteed contracts, huge upfront bonuses, incentive clauses and all sorts of perks but what about the fifth round draft pick or journeyman player that goes from team to team? It’s always sad to see once great players destitute because once they left the game, they no longer had an income. The NFL makes more than enough to cover its own and some of it should go to taking care of these folks who were once in their ranks.

-Possibly the most contentious of the negotiations will revolve around the profit sharing. There’s an $8 billion dollar pie to be divvied up. The owners want to skim a hefty $2-2.5 billion right off the top before it gets distributed to the players. That’s a full $1 billion up from where they’re at now. It’s the same routine where owners cry about how much it costs to build new stadiums, but last time I checked- none of us really head down to Ford Field to see the architecture on Sundays. And once it’s built, it’s a cash cow for the owners. With the revenue stream that the NFL gets from television and other marketing, I just see the owners getting greedy over this part. I don’t blame them for wanting to re-negotiate it but please don’t dig their heels in so deep that it can’t be resolved and we end up losing an entire season to it.

Super Bowl’s done with now. It might be awhile before we see another football game. I know as Lions fans, our team finished on an impressive four game winning streak. We’re hopeful, guardedly optimistic, and want to see where this team can go. But if the higher-ups in the NFL can’t get together and hash things out, come Fall- we could all be raking more leaves, cleaning out more gutters, attending more family functions, and pretty much be a much more productive human being- instead of enjoying those few hours on a Sunday watching our beloved football games.

If the NFL is locked out this fall, it could be a huge opportunity for the NHL to get some exposure. Bettman should schedule back to back Sunday afternoon nationally televised games. I'm sure a lot of people would rather have a few ginger ales and watch a little hockey than clean gutters and rake leaves. lol

If the NFL is locked out this fall, it could be a huge opportunity for the NHL to get some exposure. Bettman should schedule back to back Sunday afternoon nationally televised games. I'm sure a lot of people would rather have a few ginger ales and watch a little hockey than clean gutters and rake leaves. lol
    It would be a shrewd move on Bettman's part but as far as commissioners go, I think Roger Goodell is just a tad brighter than Gary Bettman. I'd be willing to bet he's going to do everything he can to keep the NFL going forward- whereas Bettman just doesn't exactly strike me as a commissioner who's in touch with the NHL and their fan base. I look at the growth of the leagues and the NFL is by far the top banana when it comes to maximizing its exposure and growing its fan base. Sadly the NHL has branched into geographic areas where it's barely received which much enthusiasm and might fall below NASCAR for a fan base.

Besides I'd like to think I'm doing my part to keep capitalism going by hiring the local kids to rake the leaves on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    -A proposed 18 game season, to which I would not want to see. As much as I love watching the game, it’s a long enough season already and people are just getting hurt way too much. I’d much rather see more quality than quantity.
    I think it's a crock having to watch four pre-season games already. Having an 18 game season just makes for lousy play by third and fourth stringers filling in for the battered first stringers we bought season tickets to see. This extended 18 game crap is just a money grab by the owners and I seriously hope the NFLPA shoot this stupid idea down in flames. Hell, I'd even consider shortening up the pre-season a game or two. Three games to get the teams up to speed is plenty considering how much these guys do in training already. SAY NO TO 18 GAMES!

C'mon people. Get it together. You're supposed to be grown men & women who are able to discuss and hammer things out here. This didn't sound like good news to us fans:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6107737

And I'm not so sure about this quote the NFLPA got from a Ford Field employee who they brought in to nudge the negotiations along:

""Football and other major sporting events are some of the only things that bring people to downtown Detroit after 5 p.m.," said John Marler, who has worked at the stadium since 2007."

That's probably because I'm a loyal Detroiter who does hang around downtown Detroit after 5 p.m. for all sorts of other things beyond sports. Don't get me wrong either- I love being downtown for the sports but it I think it also paints a pretty narrow view of what downtown Detroit has to offer too.

Multi-millionaires arguing with billionaires and we, the payers pay the ever increasing price. I say should this extend close to the start of the season, how about the fans protest them both! After all, it is the vendors and employees at the stadium who are going to hurt should this lock-out happen.

I'm tired of paying higher prices so that the cry-babies can have another 3 sports cars. I'm tired of owners crying poor mouth when they won't even open up the books [[something to hide perhaps??).

As for the 18 games? I would say yes to a degree. If it took away 2 useless pres-season games then I don't see an issue with it but injuries could pose a problem. Instead of getting screwed to pay for 2 pre-season games at FULL price, how about paying $15 pre-season for a $50 game-day ticket?

Does anyone here currently have Lions season tickets [[or have in the past)? I find their customer service to be pathetic.

I do. My guy is spectacular and calls me back within an hour if he is not in. Ask for Hoa Tran [[pronounced Wah Tran).

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    As for the 18 games? I would say yes to a degree. If it took away 2 useless pres-season games then I don't see an issue with it but injuries could pose a problem. Instead of getting screwed to pay for 2 pre-season games at FULL price, how about paying $15 pre-season for a $50 game-day ticket?
    I like the price structure but I'd still keep it a 16 game season. There's no way anyone should be paying full price for pre-season games because we're not seeing the real deal. It's like paying full price to go see tryouts. I still remember back in the stone ages when the Red Wings tossed in the pre-season tickets for free as a bonus to the season ticket holders. The Lions should do the same or offer them at half off at the very least.

Give us the four pre-season games at half off, play the sixteen regular season games like their frickin' lives depend on it, and make it a good product on the field for us fans. Is that too much to ask from our POV?

Hoa lives 3 doors down from me, great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Hoa lives 3 doors down from me, great guy.
    It's moments like this that you wish certain customer service venues paid their employees on commission. It's nice to hear that there are still people out there that put the service into customer service.

An extension of seven more days for the CBA to be hammered out.

There are some serious sticking points that still have to be hammered out. Seven days enough? Personally I don't see it happening but optimistic that both sides are still talking as opposed to squabbling at each other.

The draft is coming up and it's really going to be awkward seeing these guys go up there holding up their prospective team's uniforms and really nowhere to go. I'm just hoping somehow some way both sides can come to terms- even if it's just the Rookie Salary Cap issue. I don't see the next season being cancelled but I can also see this delay, negotiate, dance, and fidget lasting up until the very last week prior to training camp too.

I'm with you smog.

GUSHI Guest

Superbowl bound

Huffington Post digs up this classic again. Even if you're a Lions fan, you can't help but think this is funny.

Detroit blows...

I wish the Lions and the media would quit putting so much focus on their supposed lack of a third receiver. Regardless of who you put there, in many of our formations he's actually a 4th or 5th option. There isn't that many balls available, and the Lions like a two tight end formation where he wouldn't even be on the field. I understand that some of this focus is because Williams and Puss Johnson have been busts, but I certainly don't see it as any kind of draft priority, especially when compared to other needs.

I don't think they will take a receiver [[at least I hope not). I have even heard of yet another RB. But it is way too early to say where they are going in the draft. MLBs OLB and OT would be where they should concentrate imo.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast