Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Return of Brush Park Village North[?]

A condominium project on the SE corner of John R and Eskine was under construction in 2008 by the then HipCityDetroit.com that had its fingers on several nearby properties. The ?question mark in the thread title indicates I don't know if this project still has the same name.

A victim of 2008 it sat unfinished for the next seven years. Miraculously it did not seemed to be vandalized or stripped. This summer I noticed that construction had resumed. I appreciate its attempt to be architecturally in the spirit of the neighborhood.

Does anyone know anything more about his story? Shot below from today.

Construction in 2008.

For sale in winter 2008.

No takers in 2008. In the background is the lovely turreted Luben Apartments, lost to fire since.

You could always call the listing agent and ask. the pictures look like the same buildings.
    http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...92-01002?row=9

this is my favorite...prices 2010 vs 2015

http://citylivingdetroit.com/blog/br...ce-reductions/

3160 John R – Smith: Open Loft | 1 Bath | 834 sq ft | Was $139,000 Special Pricing $79,000

200 Erskine – Craigen: 3 Bedrooms | 2.5 Baths | 1,837 sq ft | Was $309,900 Special Pricing $150,000

212 Erskine – Asher:
    2 Bedrooms | 2.5 Baths | 2,017 sq ft | Was $295,900 Special Pricing $169,000

3156 John R –
    Asher Rooftop Terrace: 2 Bedrooms | 2.5 Baths | 2,116 sq ft | Was$340,900 Special Pricing $214,000

2015 price:
    1 BEDROOM
    $275,000 For Sale 1.0 ba 866 sqft
    2 BEDROOM
    $430,000 For Sale 3.0 ba 1,712 sqft
    3 BEDROOM
    $599,900 For Sale 4.0 ba 2,661 sqft

Last edited by hybridy; December-04-15 at 03:11 PM.

The question becomes, Are they selling at that price? And do they have a valid NEZ? I can't see paying $275K for a 1 bedroom and then having to pay $9000 a year in taxes on top of it.

SEV = market value/2
    taxes = [[SEV/1000) * Millage rate

[[[[$275000/2)/1000) * 65 = $8937.5

Never could understand why the corner section and part of the section just south of that section is so different from the very south section and the newly constructed section that looks identical to the very south section. The very south section and new section look aesthetically pleasing. If I was the developer I would not have deviated from that look. In my opinion, that corner section will be the last to be sold. I don't think they'll sell for what they are currently asking for, however.

Hope those condos are selling like hot cakes. It didn't sell a room after the sub-prime mortgage crash of '08.

It probably will because of Dan Gilbert's prime real estate next door.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Never could understand why the corner section and part of the section just south of that section is so different from the very south section and the newly constructed section that looks identical to the very south section. The very south section and new section look aesthetically pleasing. If I was the developer I would not have deviated from that look. In my opinion, that corner section will be the last to be sold. I don't think they'll sell for what they are currently asking for, however.
    And just to prove it is just a matter of tastes. I like the corner unit the best. I think the others are quite bland in comparison.

Name:  IMG_0671.jpg
Views: 3358
Size:  110.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0674.jpg
Views: 3316
Size:  125.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0688.jpg
Views: 3342
Size:  105.0 KB

Anyone got any info on the developer name or the architect?

urgh, wtf happened to that castle-like apartment building?

God dammit

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Name:  IMG_0671.jpg
Views: 3358
Size:  110.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0674.jpg
Views: 3316
Size:  125.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0688.jpg
Views: 3342
Size:  105.0 KB

Anyone got any info on the developer name or the architect?
    G.A.V. Associates of Farmington is the designer

info here: http://www.brushparkcdc.org/developmentprojects

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post

God dammit
    It was torn down something like a decade ago.

God dammit
    sadly torched in 2010...it was bad then
    http://detroitfunk.com/castle-apartments/

Brush Park had many 19th century homes in mansions as late as the 1990s that were in need of renovation but the city had decided to raze many of them illegally. Those in city government at that time didn’t care about what was historical but looked out for their friends by giving out demolition contracts and razing structures in Brush Park as well as the Monroe Block

It just had to survive at least 5 more years and it could have been saved.

The fact that anybody ever left immaculate and stunning Brush park for what? Suburban shacks in the suburbs, for no good reason. Unacceptable stupidity this should never happen again.

It just had to survive at least 5 more years and it could have been saved.

The fact that anybody ever left immaculate and stunning Brush park for what? Suburban shacks in the suburbs, for no good reason. Unacceptable stupidity this should never happen again.
    Actually, the rich and elite probably left Brush Park years before suburbia was developed. I would guess that many of them left for newer homes in the city like in Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, Rosedale Park, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    Actually, the rich and elite probably left Brush Park years before suburbia was developed. I would guess that many of them left for newer homes in the city like in Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, Rosedale Park, etc.
    I wasn't around in those days, but I remember my dad telling me that Brush Park was where all the hookers were. I also had several coworkers who not only reiterated such things but also actively participated in such events *wink wink

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    I wasn't around in those days, but I remember my dad telling me that Brush Park was where all the hookers were. I also had several coworkers who not only reiterated such things but also actively participated in such events *wink wink
    Yep!
    Even Bob Seger referenced The neighborhood in his now famous "Live Bullet " album.
    Said Seger in song "Go down to John R and Brush let a massage parlor take care of you".
    Last edited by Uncledave54; December-03-19 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    In the early 90's, I was trying to eek another year out of my car, which was starting to have problems. One day it began to sputter on I-75, so I exited and made it half way through Brush Park before the car died. A nice woman approached and offered her services, but she wasn't talking about the car. I thanked her for offering and then called a tow truck.

Many of the mansions in Brush park had been divided up and turned into rooming houses by the severe housing shortages before and during WWII. The great depression had wrung all the value out of them as single family homes.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Many of the mansions in Brush park had been divided up and turned into rooming houses by the severe housing shortages before and during WWII. The great depression had wrung all the value out of them as single family homes.
    That’s interesting to know. So BP heydays were in the 1800’s? I guess what the world considers prime location meant nothing for >100 years

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    That’s interesting to know. So BP heydays were in the 1800’s? I guess what the world considers prime location meant nothing for >100 years
    Turning the houses into multi-tenant from single-tenant actually does suggest prime location. It means that there was a demand for space.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Some intresting facts...
    https://detroithistorical.org/learn/...toric-district

Yeah basically what happened is the rich people living in Brush Park moved into newer mansion districts on the edge of town. The same pattern that exists today, except back then, the city was annexing exurban areas. They moved to the WSU area, then to Boston Edison, then to Palmer Woods, then to the various places in Oakland County. On the east side, the same story, you can still see some of the mansions of Jefferson right outside of downtown [[and for example the first DIA was located in this area) but they moved to Indian Village and then to Grosse Pointe.

Architecturally, victorian was out of fashion. How much interest would there be today in a dilapidated ranch house in the inner city? And then of course it IS a prime location, but for transit dependent people, which incentivized subdividing them.

Then, historically, the east side of Woodward was for black people. Brush park was the hood. Middle class blacks lived in the North End, and wealthier blacks lived in Arden Park.

If anything, it's surprising that any of those mansions survived at all, considering what ended up happening across the city.

They ruined their own neighborhood. And others did. They put their factories only a few blocks north. And East; and every direction. The center of Detroit's industrial revolution. What bad neighbors: Filthy, stinky, dangerous, loud!

The industrialists moved a few dozen blocks away.
    And further, and further...

Remember the Once-ler, too.

Name:  Lorax-32.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  70.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    They ruined their own neighborhood. And others did. They put their factories only a few blocks north. And East; and every direction. The center of Detroit's industrial revolution. What bad neighbors: Filthy, stinky, dangerous, loud!

The industrialists moved a few dozen blocks away.
    And further, and further...

Remember the Once-ler, too.

Name:  Lorax-32.jpg
Views: 1135
Size:  70.2 KB

So Detroit's Brush Park [[part of Gilberttown's annexation) is Thneedville! with Old Chicago-esque row homes. I like it!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast