Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default For the Amazon haters

I meen really how can you not like such a nice company?

They are so nice that they are only charging over 40 States $100 to provide cloud service for the voting process,just think of the billions they are selflessly loosing in order to provide that.

Everybody should be like Amazon.

While it does not handle voting on election day, AWS — along with a broad network of partners — now runs state and county election websites, stores voter registration rolls and ballot data, facilitates overseas voting by military personnel and helps provide live election-night results, according to company documents and interviews.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/15/how-...elections.html

They also run the voting platform for the entire county of Mexico.

What could go wrong?

I've expressed my grievances with Amazon's business practices before, but it's WAY past time that they be forcefully broken up, and not in a way that's just for show.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; October-31-19 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    They also run the voting platform for the entire county of Mexico.

What could go wrong?
    I wouldn't trust AWS all that much, but I trust them a lot more than some hack IT project run by a state.

The only successful large-scale IT project I've seen run by the government is the IRS tax master file system. They tried updating it a couple decades ago and it was a disaster, and they reverted to the old system. The FBI tried a billion dollar modernization project a decade ago, and it also was a disaster they abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I've expressed my grievances with Amazon's business practices before, but it's WAY past time that they be forcefully broken up, and not is a way that's just for show.
    So you break up Amazon to weaken their influence and power. This gives Alibaba group a huge economic advantage. As a Chinese company, you'll *never* get them to break up. So... then what? You've just replaced Amazon with Alibaba. Trade war with China? Is that a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I've expressed my grievances with Amazon's business practices before, but it's WAY past time that they be forcefully broken up, and not is a way that's just for show.
    The leading left candidates have already vowed to be as Roosevelt was to Standard oil.

Amazon has already done what Standard Oil and Ma Bell was forced to do and created many different entities,so it sounds good but there is nothing to really “break up” legal wise.

So the face is Amazon but each division is legally a separate company protected by the corporate veil,so really the only way to “break them up”
    would be to totally change how the corporate structure is established in the United States,effecting every corporation in the United States no matter what size.

The only way Chavez did it in Venezuela,which was structured much like in the US ,was to just appropriate every private corporation,foreign and domestic as state property.

During the Bush and Obama administration there was talk of turning over government logistics over to Wal-Mart military and civilian,Wal-Mart already has the largest logistics company in the country if not the world.

But Halliburton already controlled natural disaster logistics and political wise they still had more power then Wal-Mart or then president Obama.

So there is history of the privatization of government,look at the trillion dollar security industry form after 9-11.

We live in an information is power world now,when it comes to voting that gives Amazon excess to every voters information including a copy of everybody’s signature.

Weather I agree with the whole process or not my concern is that it is already done and begs to question on what path we should be on now.

The energy and scope is directed on they are to powerful break them up and not boundaries on what they are allowed to do with the information they are collecting or how it is secured.

Is it possible for a radical left or right person within the company to use the information in a nefarious way?

We know there was attempts to meddle in the voting processes from outside sources,which will continue but we also know that the extent was only based on a local level attacks and not enough to alter the course of the election.

Was this system in place at that time and did it prevent a large scale attack from occurring?

The whole trade wars thing is much more then what is on the surface,Alibaba is the Chinese governments clearing house for Chinese products and the market,they could literally crush the likes of Amazon because their government would cover any losses while creating tariffs against American products.

What is happening now is an American will develop a product,patent it,and place it on the market place of Amazon.

China will purchase that product,copy it and then it will be placed back on the market within months at half the price and crush the original inventor.

We as consumers have already given China full rein over our pocket books and Standard of life,the trade wars are about taking those reins back.

Back to Amazon and I guess that is our choice,continue to use the energy in order to break them up or use our energy in order to find out exactly what it entails and how it does and can effect our voting process.

We talk about gerrymandering and the voting process but comparatively none of that matters when all of the information is stored in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    So you break up Amazon to weaken their influence and power. This gives Alibaba group a huge economic advantage. As a Chinese company, you'll *never* get them to break up. So... then what? You've just replaced Amazon with Alibaba. Trade war with China? Is that a good idea?
    Alibaba does very little business here in the U.S at the retail consumer level. What it does have is largely due to the ridiculous USPS subsidies that were mandated by Congress and thanks to Trump are finally being abolished.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; October-31-19 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Amazon has already done what Standard Oil and Ma Bell was forced to do and created many different entities,so it sounds good but there is nothing to really “break up” legal wise.

So the face is Amazon but each division is legally a separate company protected by the corporate veil,so really the only way to “break them up”
    would be to totally change how the corporate structure is established in the United States,effecting every corporation in the United States no matter what size.
    There are plenty of ways to break them up. A complete forced separation of the AWS cloud computing arm from Amazon's retail division would be the first step. Profits from AWS allowed Amazon to rapidly expand as a retailer while at the same time covering what would have been massive losses. Few online retailers stood a chance against this then, and it's even less likely they will now.

Another possibly is to forcibly separate Amazon's in house shipping services, their digital media platforms such as Audible and Amazon Prime TV. The issue at the heart of this matter is Amazon is using its size and nearly unlimited [[And unrelated) funding to sustain abnormally long term losses that deter almost all would be competitors from even considering the same sectors, and smother
    the existing competition
    [[Or simply buy them out as they did with Woot, Zappos, Diapers.com and more). Without interventions there's only one way this ends and that's Amazon having a virtual monopoly of the space as consumers won't have another option.