Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Closed Hospitals?

Other than St. John Riverview, are there any other recently closed hospitals in the Metro Detroit area?

Riverside Hospital in Trenton.

When did that one on Carpenter in Detroit close?

not real recent, but remember Deaconess on Jefferson?

There's one off of Michigan Ave. west of the MCS that closed in the last couple of years I think.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    There's one off of Michigan Ave. west of the MCS that closed in the last couple of years I think.
    I believe that is the former Southwest Detroit Hospital you are referring to. If so it has to have been closed for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I believe that is the former Southwest Detroit Hospital you are referring to. If so it has to have been closed for 15 years.
    Is that the futuristic [[well, once-futuristic) stainless-steel looking thing between Mich. Ave. and the rr. tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Is that the futuristic [[well, once-futuristic) stainless-steel looking thing between Mich. Ave. and the rr. tracks?
    Actually it is around 21st between the former Zeitgeist Gallery and the Expressway.

Yeah, I used to see that when I'd take the train to Chicago. Nothing ages more poorly than the future ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

That's probably the one, although it had a sign on it with a different name for quite some time, and I thought it still had lights on inside a few years ago. Now the sign is no longer visible and it is clearly empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingellgirl View Post
    Other than St. John Riverview, are there any other recently closed hospitals in the Metro Detroit area?
    St. John Northeast/Holy Cross [[Outer Drive & Van Dyke).

lilpup Guest

Part of Sinai is closed now, isn't it? And the emergency sections of all the smaller hospitals...

Into the early 2000s the hospital off Michigan housed the DPD Vice Squad. I believe other parts of the building held a drug rehab facility.

Sinai on Outer Drive
    Saratoga on Gratiot
    Riverside in Trenton
    Detroit Osteopathic in Highland Park

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    When did that one on Carpenter in Detroit close?
    North Detroit General Hospital was bought out of bankruptcy about 1994 by a doctor whose name escapes me. He drowned in his car in the late 90s and the hospital sputtered to an ugly end shortly after.

Beyer Hospital in Ypsi, within the last 10 years I belive.

Wayne County General Hospital in Westland near the Eloise institution. Demo'd in 1999.

Renaissance High School is now on the former site of Sinai Hospital on W. Outer Drive.

North Oakland Medical Center in Pontiac closed in 2008 only to be purchased by a group of physicians and re-opened a couple of weeks later as Doctor's Hospital of Michigan. The closing and re-opening were done with pretty big fanfare, but I haven't seen much about whether it's been successful.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    Beyer Hospital in Ypsi, within the last 10 years I belive.

That's still a medical facility- now it's a bariatric clinic.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    North Detroit General Hospital was bought out of bankruptcy about 1994 by a doctor whose name escapes me. He drowned in his car in the late 90s and the hospital sputtered to an ugly end shortly after.
    Actually the said doctor's name is Dr. Moon and he didn't die in an auto accident, but was criminally indicted for improperly burning old hospital records on his farm in Livingston County.

The old hospital [[NDG) is now being converted into: a charter school, out patient clinic and a nursing home.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Actually the said doctor's name is Dr. Moon and he didn't die in an auto accident, but was criminally indicted for improperly burning old hospital records on his farm in Livingston County.

The old hospital [[NDG) is now being converted into: a charter school, out patient clinic and a nursing home.
    No, I'm talking about the guy before the current crook. Perhaps Dr. Moon bought the hospital from the one I'm thinking of. I lived down the street for a few decades, but it's been long enough that I'm not remembering his name. His drowning made the news, because of its freakish nature.

He was driving in a parking lot in the Farmington Hills area and accidentally drove into a pond. It was raining so hard, the pond overflowed into the adjacent parking lot, and the doctor had no idea he left the asphalt until it was too late.

9mile&seneca Guest

Anyone know anything about Arts Center Hospital on Woodward? I can't find any history or anything about it.

Yes, I worked at North Detroit General which changed name to Greater Detroit Hospital when the drowned Dr. bought it. He actually re-opened it since it had been closed for several years. Damn what was his name?

Lincoln Hospital on 25th and W. Lafayette, closed in the 60's. Was owned and run by Jewish Dr.s who were not permitted to practice in some other larger hospitals. I was told.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast