Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Gratiot - 7 Mile Shopping Corridor.

My first real Detroit shopping adventures were here. Federal's, Kresge's, Cunningham's, Montgomery Ward, Woolworths, Ollie Fretter, and Sanders. Stereo City which later became an arcade whose Tempest game became my quarter depository.

Fond memories. Have you any?

Yes. Think there may be an old thread about this. It was a thriving area, in the 1960s. Six Mile, too.
    Memory is fuzzy, but I bought Levi's from Jack's Fifth Avenue. He would sell them cut to half inch lengths. Don't remember if it was closer to 7 Mile or Six?

Jack's was north of 7 on the east side of Gratiot. Conned my parents into letting me get a suit from there, dark gray with tan iridescent highlights. Next to or close to it was Cancellations Shoes, selling famous brand seconds if you didn't want to buy from Flagg Bros. on the Southeast corner.

I spent a lot time in that Kresge's waiting for the 7 Mile or Schoenherr Shuttle bus to get me the rest of the way home from school. I may have even bought a few 45s there.

I noticed the discussion of the Ramona Theater in that thread. The Ramona was at 6 Mile & Gratiot [[northwest corner). The Benjamin Franklin branch Library was on 6 Mile just west of the theater.

A 2009 thread about Gratiot and 7 Mile....
    http://www.atdetroit.net/forum/messa...tml?1182005933

A 2010 thread partly related to a Gratiot and 7 Mile discussion....
    https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...Ethnic-Markets

Is Hornwrecker still around? I'd like to ask permission to use a photo he posted on DetroitYes about 10 years ago or so, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Is Hornwrecker still around? I'd like to ask permission to use a photo he posted on DetroitYes about 10 years ago or so, Thanks!
    Sure, I probably swiped it from somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post
    Sure, I probably swiped it from somewhere else.
    Thank you! It's the map of the area with street names shown. I thought you said you created it, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by kathy2trips; September-24-18 at 09:46 PM.