Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

DetroitBoy= DB

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I love how people are trying to make it sound like her life was in danger or this was some sort of attempted carjacking. According to the article I read someone snatched a purse through an open window in her car.
    [sarcasm]Yeah, why would she be in danger? It's not like people ever get killed when they're being robbed. Usually these people are nice folks that thought it was their stuff.[/sarcasm]

When thugs do stuff like this the threat of force is implied. If you try to get your stuff back you might be staring at a knife, gun, or a multiple thugs looking to do you harm for resisting, and this case, being being a part of the majority.

I don't think this is a huge setback for Detroit, but it is a reminder of the reality of the problems we need to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I got robbed at gunpoint. That will not stop me from coming to Detroit.

Nicole Curtis got robbed by thug hoodies. That will not stop her from coming to Detroit.

Doesn't matter if you're a Detroiter, suburbanite, or from somewhere. Thugs and folks wearing Trayvon Martins will rob, shoot and kill anyone who resists. It's a crime of opportunity. If folks don't a job, education or money. They will rob, shoot and kill and take to get it. It's being at the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Sometimes the criminal can be at the wrong place at the wrong time too, so be careful who you rob.

She wasn't "robbed". That denotes taken by force. This was a larceny. It was a snatch and run. Plus lets not ignore the racist tones this thread has taken. People here should be ashamed of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Plus lets not ignore the racist tones this thread has taken. People here should be ashamed of themselves.
    It's reality. Just as black people have to worry about themselves around cops, white people have to worry about themselves when in predominately black areas. Ask Steve Utash, he'd probably agree.

Zero to shitshow in 9 posts. Nice work.

Do people believe she is anything more then window dressing on these projects?

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Zero to shitshow in 9 posts. Nice work.
    and skipped right past the victim blaming. I figured they're be at least ten posts on how Curtis should know better than to be outside at night or have anything of any value anywhere on her person at any time while in the city. Good job everyone... take the rest of the week off.

First of all, as someone has pointed out, the very title of this thread is factually incorrect. She was not "robbed". This was, apparently, larceny from a vehicle or something of that nature.

Second, I'm glad Ms. Curtis is rehabbing in Detroit, but I would expect a savvy eight year old child to know better than to leave a purse in an open and unoccupied car. She might as well have painted concentric circles on the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    First of all, as someone has pointed out, the very title of this thread is factually incorrect. She was not "robbed". This was, apparently, larceny from a vehicle or something of that nature.

Second, I'm glad Ms. Curtis is rehabbing in Detroit, but I would expect a savvy eight year old child to know better than to leave a purse in an open and unoccupied car. She might as well have painted concentric circles on the vehicle.
    oops ..spoke too soon. Yup, no one should be able to put a kid in a car seat and expect the work bag/purse to still be in the car when they turn back around. Especially after being at JazzFest in Detroit.

I'll let you split the hairs on this but I consider her event a larceny. I've been a victim of both. The larceny was when I left my bicycle unattended a few feet away and a kid rode off with it. The robbery was when I had a gun pulled on me and placed against my head while my wallet was lifted from my pocket. Either way its no fun and having your kid with you has to be really upsetting.

I don't know what to say except it was just her turn. It's bad for her and Detroit but both will get over it.

Larceny -The unlawful taking and carrying away of someone else's personal property with the intent to deprive the possessor of it permanently.

Robbery - The illegal taking of property from the person of another, or in the person's presence, by violence or intimidation. [[note the emphasis on person being there is some way)

Now can we get back to restoring the Ransom Gillis mansion?

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    It's reality. Just as black people have to worry about themselves around cops, white people have to worry about themselves when in predominately black areas. Ask Steve Utash, he'd probably agree.
    no they don't. They're actually safer vs. the cop situation.

Whoa......

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I'll let you split the hairs on this but I consider her event a larceny. I've been a victim of both. The larceny was when I left my bicycle unattended a few feet away and a kid rode off with it. The robbery was when I had a gun pulled on me and placed against my head while my wallet was lifted from my pocket. Either way its no fun and having your kid with you has to be really upsetting.

I don't know what to say except it was just her turn. It's bad for her and Detroit but both will get over it.

Larceny -The unlawful taking and carrying away of someone else's personal property with the intent to deprive the possessor of it permanently.

Robbery - The illegal taking of property from the person of another, or in the person's presence, by violence or intimidation. [[note the emphasis on person being there is some way)

According to her account, I think it's also attempted grand larceny.

However, I'll play the "it happens everywhere" card. Because... it does.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Whoa......
    So you're telling me that you honestly believe that white people don't have to worry about going through black neighborhoods? You don't think Steve Utash's near-death beating had anything to do with race?

I think all racism is bad. The racism that still exists that black people are the victims of, as well as the other way around. We can deny it, or we can recognize that it does exist, it's a bad thing, and do our best to teach our children to be better.

So you're telling me that you honestly believe that white people don't have to worry about going through black neighborhoods? You don't think Steve Utash's near-death beating had anything to do with race?

I think all racism is bad. The racism that still exists that black people are the victims of, as well as the other way around. We can deny it, or we can recognize that it does exist, it's a bad thing, and do our best to teach our children to be better.
    The only thing I'm thinking is that your comment is pretty racist.

The only thing I'm thinking is that your comment is pretty racist.
    What part of it is racist, and how so? Be specific, and quote my words exactly.

Here's my comment:

Just as black people have to worry about themselves around cops, white people have to worry about themselves when in predominately black areas. Ask Steve Utash, he'd probably agree.
    I acknowledge that black people aren't treated fairly by cops, and also point out that white people may not be treated fairly when in predominately black neighborhoods. I then point out the specific example of Steve Utash who was nearly beat to death by a mob of black people. Steve Utash is white. I believe that Steve's beating was racially motivated.

It doesn't mean that all cops are racist. It doesn't mean that all black people are racist. It means that there are some folks out there that are, and you have to be careful in certain situations.

Here's my comment:

I acknowledge that black people aren't treated fairly by cops, and also point out that white people may not be treated fairly when in predominately black neighborhoods. I then point out the specific example of Steve Utash who was nearly beat to death by a mob of black people. Steve Utash is white. I believe that Steve's beating was racially motivated.

It doesn't mean that all cops are racist. It doesn't mean that all black people are racist. It means that there are some folks out there that are, and you have to be careful in certain situations.
    It's racist, bro. If you don't understand why then that's your problem, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    "Yeah, WTF? Get over it". "Detroit, where the weak are eaten".... Good Call!

From the WXYZ article: "Curtis is currently in Detroit, working with Quicken Loans to rehab the Ransom Gillis House."

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "Yeah, WTF? Get over it". "Detroit, where the weak are eaten".... Good Call!

Last edited by Dan Wesson; September-10-15 at 03:06 PM.

Here's my comment:

she was, supposedly, at griswold and Larned after Jazz Fest. it's not a neighborhood its the CBD.. and I'd bet money the CBD is not predominantly "black"...just from my observation of the daily make up of the CBD and who lives in what little residential there is there.

So is your point that white women aren't safe in any part of Detroit because it's 80% black as whole?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    she was, supposedly, at griswold and Larned after Jazz Fest. it's not a neighborhood its the CBD.. and I'd bet money the CBD is not predominantly "black"...just from my observation of the daily make up of the CBD and who lives in what little residential there is there.

So is your point that white women aren't safe in any part of Detroit because it's 80% black as whole?
    Nope. My statement wasn't specific to her case. We kind of got off on a tangent.

In Cutris' case, race was probably NOT a motivating factor.

It's racist, bro. If you don't understand why then that's your problem, not mine.
    Sounds like you're taking the coward's way out of an intelligent conversation. I would honestly like to know why you feel what I said was racist. I was pointing out situation where people are the victims of racism. I don't think it's right, but it exists, and I don't think you have to be racist to realize that.

Here is her updated FB status:

CORRECTION TO ALMOST EVERY NEWS STORY OUT THERE:
    I was with my family this week. A black SUV was parked running in front of our vehicle when we approached our car. As we were loading into the car, one of the passengers jumped out of the black suv, jumped INTO my driver's seat -went for keys [[they were with me outside passenger side) they then grabbed my large work bag NOT purse from where they were sitting in my car. It contained my laptop and several other items. Jumped into the black SUV and drove off.

I called 911 -I then walked a block to Where police were.

It's unfortunate that the news decided to run their own version. It kind of reminds of that game telephone we played in Junior High

Be safe -be aware. And thank you for all the emails, texts, phone calls of concern.

Sounds like a very polite STFU.

Let's return to the Ransom Gills House renovation.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast