Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I'm wondering if they will ultimately install a new slate roof? I think anything but slate will detract from the house, especially when you consider the turret .I'm also wondering if they will rebuild the now torn-off porch? Nice pics...

An original pic, check out that slate roof and front porch!

Name:  Ransomgillishouse1876.jpg
Views: 3344
Size:  118.6 KB
    Last edited by Dbest; August-28-15 at 06:47 AM.

So happy to see what looks like the original window pillars in the turret were still floating around and able to be used. I hope they were able to save the remaining ornamentation from the top of the windows too or at least replicate them. I hope they plan on rebuilding the second chimney as well, they haven't finished off the soffit area of the roof there like towards the back of the house so it looks like they might. Either way they are definitely not finishing by the end of the month like the one article eluded to.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Update pictures from a few days ago.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that a new slate roof was planned but I might just be making that up in my head. It appears that the porch will be restored as the base of it has been rebuilt all be it with less fancy cinder blocks. What I am really curious about is what the replacement turret support will look like, whether or not they rebuild the dormer and of course the second chimney like I mentioned in my last post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    I'm wondering if they will ultimately install a new slate roof? I think anything but slate will detract from the house, especially when you consider the turret .I'm also wondering if they will rebuild the now torn-off porch? Nice pics...

An original pic, check out that slate roof and front porch!

Name:  Ransomgillishouse1876.jpg
Views: 3344
Size:  118.6 KB
    Last edited by gumby; August-28-15 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that a new slate roof was planned but I might just be making that up in my head. It appears that the porch will be restored as the base of it has been rebuilt all be it with less fancy cinder blocks. What I am really curious about is what the replacement turret support will look like, whether or not they rebuild the dormer and of course the second chimney like I mentioned in my last post.
    i noticed the cinder block porch as well,its pretty noticeable but whatever. Guess we will see what happens, its exciting nonetheless...

My guess is that the block wall is structural considering the size of the structure. It looked in the the photo as though they saved the existing blocks where they could. I can't imagine they'd do that and not the rest because it would only emphasize the plain block. I would think they could add a facade block to match. A job of this magnitude would really require it. Nice to see stuff like this.

This is the first time I've looked at the photos. Pretty impressive project.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    My guess is that the block wall is structural considering the size of the structure. It looked in the the photo as though they saved the existing blocks where they could. I can't imagine they'd do that and not the rest because it would only emphasize the plain block. I would think they could add a facade block to match. A job of this magnitude would really require it. Nice to see stuff like this.

This is the first time I've looked at the photos. Pretty impressive project.
    I too was thinking about a facade block. I really hope they rebuild the missing chimneys.

It doesn't look like the missing chimneys are in the plans...they would have been added by now and I am somewhat disappointed the missing dormer in the Alfred Street façade isn't being replaced. I also hope they replace the very ornate granite column and detail work supporting the turret along with the base.

Windows being installed make a house look alive again.

She's not "restoring" anything, she's rehabbing, or "remuddling", as Old House Journal likes to call it, an old house. To "restore" it, it should end up looking like the black & white photo dbest posted, which, of course, it won't. The Twitter feed was amusing. It reads like a bunch of giddy schoolgirls creaming over the school jock.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    She's not "restoring" anything, she's rehabbing, or "remuddling", as Old House Journal likes to call it, an old house. To "restore" it, it should end up looking like the black & white photo dbest posted, which, of course, it won't. The Twitter feed was amusing. It reads like a bunch of giddy schoolgirls creaming over the school jock.
    Would you rather they tore it down? Because that was the only other option.

Would you rather they tore it down? Because that was the only other option.
    What's the point of your post? Why are you bringing up "tearing it down"? Did I say I wanted it "tore down"? My point is it's not a restore, what's yours?

What Ms. Curtis is doing is saving what's left of the Ransom Gillis House. The home is very historic and it represents 19th Century Americana before all the process "Levittown"-esque cardboard bungalows. Years ago those Canucks from Windsor tried to rehab most Brush Park homes, but when they ran out of funding, Mayor Young told them to leave. I'm glad that Ms. Curtis save the Ransom Gillis house. Hopefully she would restore the rest of the remaining homes in Brush Park.

So be glad that most historic Detroit homes and buildings are being saved. For a long time folks in Detroit's inner city hoods don't have any money or time to restore their homes and buildings. Just live in and tear em'up and burn them down.
    Last edited by Danny; September-09-15 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

What Ms. Curtis is doing is saving what's left of the Ransom Gillis House. The home is very historic and it represents 19th Century Americana before all the process "Levittown"-esque cardboard bungalows. Years ago those Canucks from Windsor tried to rehab most Brush Park homes, but when they ran out of funding, Mayor Young told them to leave. I'm glad that Ms. Curtis save the Ransom Gillis house. Hopefully she would restore the rest of the remaining homes in Brush Park.

So be glad that most historic Detroit homes and buildings are being saved. For a long time folks in Detroit's inner city hoods don't have any money or time to restore their homes and buildings. Just live in and tear em'up and burn them down.
    What Ms. Curtis is doing, is rehabbing what's left of the Ransom Gillis House, creating an audience for her TV show, selling air time, and making money. There's nothing wrong with any of that, but it's not a restore, Ok? I'm familiar with that neighborhood. Back around 1990, several people with way less clout than Ms. Curtis, fought tooth and nail, and tried to restore a few of those homes, down to the period wallpaper, ornamentation, and furniture. They were offered no assistance from the City. These homes were eventually ransacked, stripped, and burned. People then gave up. Few people managed to fence off the homes to protect them, and after you had "development" in that area, you see what is left in Brush Park now. You want to see "restored" homes, try Romeo, IV, or maybe some in BE.

What's the point of your post? Why are you bringing up "tearing it down"? Did I say I wanted it "tore down"? My point is it's not a restore, what's yours?
    Did you have a worthwhile point to your post. My point was instead of bitching that it isn't an exact restoration perhaps we can be happy it isn't in a landfill now.

Did you have a worthwhile point to your post. My point was instead of bitching that it isn't an exact restoration perhaps we can be happy it isn't in a landfill now.
    I already told you my point. Reading is fundamental. Inserting your own BS, isn't.

I already told you my point. Reading is fundamental. Inserting your own BS, isn't.
    Wow, you are a prickly one. Last I checked this was a message board for free expression of differing view points. I didn't realize that we all had to agree with you.

According to her Facebook page, she was just the victim of a robbery and attempted car jacking.

This is very, very, very embarassing. I am so sorry that this happens to her. I hope she still is optimistic about the city and continues to do these inspiring restorations.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    According to her Facebook page, she was just the victim of a robbery and attempted car jacking.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=350bA-3UGH8

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post

But with Dan G's group of Rock mercenaries and his endless bevy of cameras downtown, how was this criminal able to get able with this dastardly deed?!?!

Sounds like a job for Captain Hindsight!

DetroitBoy Guest

Default Nicole Curtis from Rehab Addict Robbed by Detroit Hoodlum

It was only a matter of time before this happened. I am surprised she wasn't knifed when she was working on the house on Grand Boulevard. Even though she tries to put a smile on it, she saw her entire life pass before her eyes. Typical, daily occurrence in the City of Detroit. When will the city ever get serious and get the thugs like this off the street?

The more things change in Detroit, the more they stay the same.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detroit/rehab-addict-star-nicole-curtis-robbed-in-detroit

I got robbed at gunpoint. That will not stop me from coming to Detroit.

Nicole Curtis got robbed by thug hoodies. That will not stop her from coming to Detroit.

Doesn't matter if you're a Detroiter, suburbanite, or from somewhere. Thugs and folks wearing Trayvon Martins will rob, shoot and kill anyone who resists. It's a crime of opportunity. If folks don't a job, education or money. They will rob, shoot and kill and take to get it. It's being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I got robbed at gunpoint. That will not stop me from coming to Detroit.

Nicole Curtis got robbed by thug hoodies. That will not stop her from coming to Detroit.

Doesn't matter if you're a Detroiter, suburbanite, or from somewhere. Thugs and folks wearing Trayvon Martins will rob, shoot and kill anyone who resists. It's a crime of opportunity. If folks don't a job, education or money. They will rob, shoot and kill and take to get it. It's being at the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Since you are saying they will do anything and kill anyone they want, I think the police should have the ability to shoot first and ask questions later. Lots of immigrants come to the U.S. and have no jobs, education or money and they WORK to improve themselves. Why should other people in this country expect anything less from their own people?

Getting mighty tired of hearing how certain people think they can continue to get away with this shit and crowds of people screaming 'black lives matter' when the police take them out.

I love how people are trying to make it sound like her life was in danger or this was some sort of attempted carjacking. According to the article I read someone snatched a purse through an open window in her car.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast