Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Who Really Has the BEST Tacos...?

Setting aside the politics, social culture this and that, and general news etc. who really has the best tacos?? Fresh ingredients, cilantro, good meats, hard and soft shell. Exempting eh, uh Taco Bell of course.

I recently did Taco Alley on Willis in Midtown. Ok, but small portions. I hear there's a place in Ferndale? Is it? Thank you----

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Setting aside the politics, social culture this and that, and general news etc. who really has the best tacos?? Fresh ingredients, cilantro, good meats, hard and soft shell. Exempting eh, uh Taco Bell of course.

I recently did Taco Alley on Willis in Midtown. Ok, but small portions. I hear there's a place in Ferndale? Is it? Thank you----

Los Altos, Vernor, 2 blocks East of Central. 2nd would be La Rosita, McGraw, between Lonyo and Central. IMO. Taquira El Rey is good too. Vernor, between W. Grand Blvd. and Clark.

Xochimilco's

I know I will get absolutely destroyed for this unpopular opinion, but I'll say it anyway...

I love the traditional tacos of SW Detroit. But the fresh, modern flavor of Bakersfield is my current favorite. Their shrimp taco is the best I've ever had, and the short rib version is not far behind it. $2 tacos after 10pm on Tuesdays is awesome!

When I worked at Clark St.....we went to Armando's for lunch, buffet, tacos were good back then.

Thanks Honky for the recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post

Hmmmm, haven't tried that one.

0 calories

I'm cool with non-traditional... thanks for the suggestion.

Thank you all for your contributions so far......

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I know I will get absolutely destroyed for this unpopular opinion, but I'll say it anyway...

I love the traditional tacos of SW Detroit. But the fresh, modern flavor of Bakersfield is my current favorite. Their shrimp taco is the best I've ever had, and the short rib version is not far behind it. $2 tacos after 10pm on Tuesdays is awesome!

Does the Tacos El Toro truck still park at Michigan and Martin, across from Telway? Those were the simplest tacos, but they were delicious.

Great, now I want tacos.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I'm cool with non-traditional... thanks for the suggestion.

Thank you all for your contributions so far......

Taqueria Lupita's

Just like Jack in the Box Tacos.

The "actual" Burger King offering:

Attachment 38565

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post

Attachment 38565
    Ha! Those BK tacos have a time and place-2am after a night out. They are exactly like oven made mini-tacos. Same tasting greasy meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Just like Jack in the Box Tacos.
    i miss having Jack in the Box.

I also miss late-night Jack in the Box. I like all the traditional southwest Detroit places mentioned, but my favorite tacos are Taco Titanicos from El Nibble Nook.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post

Attachment 38565
    Is that the SPAM taco?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncledave54 View Post
    i miss having Jack in the Box.
    Same. I looked into franchising one here but they are not actively looking to move into MI yet.

--------

Anyways I like Taquira El Rey and Jose's.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Taqueria Lupita's
    I've long been partial to Lupita's on Bagley. Grab some goodness there on my way over to Evie's for some tamales. I'll also heartily second Los Altos. And that truck across from Telway's makes for a bad-for-you but damn delicious double feature.

^^^ Oh yes, Evie's! The best Tomale's so it so it stands to reason their Taco's would be all that! We're gonna be doing Taco fest soon at my home! Thank you for all the great suggestions!!

I love topics like this but honestly tastes are like favorite colors. We all have different opinions!