Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I've been to NYC, as I'm sure many of you have. I loved it, but why on Earth would anyone pay $3000 a month to live in a shoe box? Yea, it's NYC, blah blah blah, but you could live in a penthouse in Detroit or a decent place in Chicago for that much.
    Funny, London has outrageous rents and housing coats with the smallest footprint per capita of.all the rich Nations, smaller.than Japan.

I read.last Week about how many empty and abandoned apartments and houses there are in Japan. There are 10 million empty living spaces. Talk about a wasteful state.A co-worker of mine used to work building houses in Tokyo twenty five years ago. He says that the Land being so much more valuable than the House, they build, demolish and rebuild every 20/or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    Each unit will have a Standup Shower, Toilet, Bathroom Sink, Kitchen Sink, 2 Burner Top, Fridge.
    Combined. You can cook your breakfast while you shower - very efficient

anyone got any updates? the renderings initially showed 10 stories, however it was announced it got changed to 13 stories. construction has started and the foundation is in and they are about 1 story up for it

anyone have any pics of the construction site? or maybe updated renderings?

also capitol park is absolutely booming right now, and in a year or so will be THE downtown neighborhood to live in.
    coffee shops, new retail, restaurants. EVERY SINGLE building is either RECENTLY completely renovated, or under renovation currently, and there are TWO NEW RESIDENTIAL construction projects underway [[the micro apartments, and the 5 stories of apartments on top of the book cadillac garage)... it's a site to see, you should definitely check out all the construction and activity going on!

It would be nice to see some of the surface lots filled with 10-20 story towers to really close things in. It really is one of the best urban spaces in the city but so often overlooked.

This apartment thing is such a HUGE scam it would make Coleman A. Young blush.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    This apartment thing is such a HUGE scam it would make Coleman A. Young blush.
    Nonsense.... In Tokyo it would be downright spacious.....

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    It would be nice to see some of the surface lots filled with 10-20 story towers to really close things in. It really is one of the best urban spaces in the city but so often overlooked.

I think it'll happen sooner than later. The demand is going to be sky high next april/may to move into capitol park.

David Stott building: Currently undergoing renovation, unsure ETA of when to open but it's under progress

The Albert: Renovated 2014, open apartments and fully leased. Retail Tenants: Detroit Bike Co, Desert Oasis Coffee, Go Psy Thai

Malcolmson Building: Renovated 2016 completed. Retail tenants: The Ten Modern Nail bar

Archdiocese of Detroit building: Renovated 2015. Apartments and offices.

Farwell Building: Active renovation currently. Apartments?

SE corner of grand river and griswold is under active renovation

NE corner of grand river and griswold is construction site for new 13 story building micro apts

The building just south of malcolmson building is under active renovation.

SW corner of state and griswold [[forget the name of it). under active renovation into apts, should open this year

SE corner of state and shelby is Lear Corp new building. under active renovation, will open this year.

missing any?? i think that accounts for every [[or almost every) building in capitol park

Bonus: Griswold apts on top of book caddy garage

I'm sure i missed some

I've had my fingers crossed for so long that someone would fix up the building adjacent to the Stott on State Street side. I would love to see a picture of it in its heyday.

how expensive and how much of an engineering challenge would it be to build on some of these parking lots that are already surrounded by buildings?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    how expensive and how much of an engineering challenge would it be to build on some of these parking lots that are already surrounded by buildings?

not sure about either question as I"m not an engineer.... but i mean... this has been in every single city for the past 100 years? I'm sure they've figured it out by now and it's a non-issue. The two parking lots in capitol park are going to sell for quite the price i am sure. hope to see new construction soon

Three years ago, I went from 1200 sq. ft. home with a lawn, to a 400 something sq. ft. apt. It's doable, but not pretty.

I don't miss the lawn mowing, just the lawn sitting, with a stoked Chiminea, facing 400 acres of woods with deer, coyotes, and hot air balloons landing in your driveway.
    Last edited by Bigb23; July-09-16 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Trust me if they can do it in NYC they can do it in Detroit.
    You should see how tight the spaces and what they put up in NYC.
    Detroit is a piece of cake !

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I say, "Move the state capitol down there!!!"

The construction progress at this site seems to me to be going really slow. I have passed this site during the 5:00-6:00 pm period on several occasions and haven't seen any activity. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    The construction progress at this site seems to me to be going really slow. I have passed this site during the 5:00-6:00 pm period on several occasions and haven't seen any activity. What gives?
    Here in the DC area I pass a major construction site [[2 ~400 foot towers side-by-side) during my normal commute. They've got construction work totally under way by 8am when I arrive and they clear out around 3pm - so maybe it's just normal to work an earlier schedule?

not an engineer, but i think that the first floor and foundation always take the longest? it's gotta be the most meticulous work. once they bring the steel in and start framing the upper floors with that i'm sure you'll see it rise rapidly? anyone with more knowledge able to confirm this? it also may be a supply issue, seems like they're basically done the foundation and now possibly just waiting for steel and cranes to come in to build the rest

I work in the Capitol Park area and walk through the Griswold & Grand River intersection daily. In the morning it is always filled with construction workers and traffic backups due to the construction.

All the trades typically run a 6am-2/3pm day. Then u can actually get stuff done at home in the afternoon. Many tradesmen I know work side jobs and this schedule allows them supplement their incomes. Kinda wish I skipped college and became a union electrician or the like...

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    not an engineer, but i think that the first floor and foundation always take the longest? it's gotta be the most meticulous work. once they bring the steel in and start framing the upper floors with that i'm sure you'll see it rise rapidly? anyone with more knowledge able to confirm this? it also may be a supply issue, seems like they're basically done the foundation and now possibly just waiting for steel and cranes to come in to build the rest
    Because the lower structure is reinforced concrete there is a significant waiting period for each floor/columns to set before the higher floor may proceed. Foundations and site work always seem to take a long time. Once they move to steel things will proceed at a greater clip. It's a very tight sight and logistics are certainly a challenge for the project manager and the various trades which can slow construction too.

Concrete can take weeks to attain its intended design strengths [[not unreasonable to take upwards of 28 days). The hot weather helps with curing, but it still isn't something that can be rushed. Not sure if they are going with concrete all the way up. If they switch to steel, it will fly in comparison to the first 3 months of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Infrastructure View Post
    Concrete can take weeks to attain its intended design strengths [[not unreasonable to take upwards of 28 days). The hot weather helps with curing, but it still isn't something that can be rushed. Not sure if they are going with concrete all the way up. If they switch to steel, it will fly in comparison to the first 3 months of work.
    This is an appropriate username for this topic. I trust this post.

Name:  IMG_0019.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  173.2 KB

Taken today.

Walk by it almost every day and I'm really liking the look of this building so far.

they're half way to the 13 stories! here's the latest render i could find online that had the updated 13 story building vs the original 11 stories they proposed

Materials look nice...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast