Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Man pulled from Detroit River downtown dies

This morning amid all going on at the NAIAS a wonderful publicity moment was had for the docked Detroit Princess as a 53 yo man reportedly jumped off into the icy river and died.

From article:

The attempted rescue began with a 911 call after someone spotted the person "floating in the water" near Cobo, Harbor Master Sgt. Michael Carpenter said from the scene earlier Wednesday.

The Coast Guard cutter immediately moved closer to the man and deployed a smaller vessel to attempt a rescue, Carpenter said. Officials on board pulled the victim from the water and navigated to shore between Cobo and the Joe Louis Arena.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...scue/79056712/
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-20-16 at 07:05 PM.

I hope he finds the peace he didn't have on this earth. And thanks to the Coast Guard for their service.

It was suicide, and suicides go to hell.
    Last edited by Danny; January-20-16 at 08:37 PM.

No, Danny, it WAS a suicide...if he only attempted, he would still be alive.

Moments after the 53-year-old jumped, he was pulled from the river by Coast Guard personnel stationed on a buoy tender that happened to be nearby for President Barack Obama’s visit Wednesday....

The water temperature at nearby Belle Isle was just below freezing at 31.7 degrees Wednesday, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
    Damn. You can die in moments at that temperature? That's scary.

Tip of the hat to the Coast Guard for trying. That can't be an easy job.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Most people who commit suicide are already in the only hell I believe in.

Are you trolling or do you really believe that? Sure hope it's the former and not the later.

What I want to know is it is reported the man jumped off the Detroit Princess docked there for the winter. Well, how did he get on board? Could this have been an accident?

Different beliefs abound relative to suicide: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...ews_on_suicide

Sorta less in dispute is the hurt and suffering to the family members. Especially where there are children involved.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Are you trolling or do you really believe that? Sure hope it's the former and not the later.

A good DPD friend of mine out of the Harbor Master Station mentioned to me that somebody [[can't remember if he said male or female) jumped off of the Ambassador Bridge about 2 weeks ago and committed suicide. I looked in the local papers and no mention of it? I guess not all suicides make headlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Delray Kid View Post
    A good DPD friend of mine out of the Harbor Master Station mentioned to me that somebody [[can't remember if he said male or female) jumped off of the Ambassador Bridge about 2 weeks ago and committed suicide. I looked in the local papers and no mention of it? I guess not all suicides make headlines.
    Reporting a suicide would be appropriate, but media celebration [[which is mostly everything on local TV to be sure) is inappropriate and irresponsible.

What makes this suicide news? Well, if its a tourist it might help us share the hazards of our nature to our visitors. Otherwise, its just voyeurism.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Sadly, with any forum site, we got folks or "personas" who aren't what they appear to be [[like the guy who screams about Trump and such). They are there to troll and tweak folk's opinions against things with a sort of reverse psychology. They are much like the phony Evangelicals who show up at fairs with fire-n-brimstone tracts screaming through bullhorns at men, women, and children [[yeah, didn't see that kind of cuff-and-collar behavior laid out in the Acts of the Apostles); then they go home and pat themselves on the back on what a good job they did poisoning popular sentiment against Christianity and earning brownie points with the very craft of acting they applied within their own sanctioned fraternal orders [[why do you think only the most far-flung "Christian sites"-the ones with the flashing odd, garish font text and headache cluster of disjunct Bible verses are allowed top-notch prominence in online searches without getting a server error like the more competent ones?).

Regarding suicide: One must differentiate suicide and "death wish". Lots of Christians have death wishes. Early Christians-when put on the spot-openly admitted their faith rather than live in constant cowering fear from the persecuting "civil" world [[you know? the one engaging in orgies, eating badger guts off lead platewear, vomiting into troughs, and watching human beings sewn up in animal carcasses or set on fire-But hey! they had better roads than us, so that made them "civil".). This was considered "suicide" by others. Yet, Christ didn't candy-coat what they would be in for, nor did he ever encouraged lying or denying who you are, even if it meant possibly saving the life of a child or your own family.

There were many examples in the Bible of famous persons praying to God to end their life: Moses, Elijah, Job, Tobit, Jeremiah, and Jonah are fine examples. It demonstrates just how limited and human we all are-no matter how "saintly" we may appear. Christians throughout time anticipate that this world is limited, corrupt, and a perpetually reliable disappointment. They understand St. Paul's wish "to be rid of this vessel". Yet we persist.

What one will be hard pressed to find in the Bible is the term that "this life is a gift". Nowhere past this modern fabricated Anne Geddes style sentiment are you going to find this in any deep, ancient religious Canon. In a sad, dire Amish manner, life is perpetual toil and a trial. Also, you will never see suicide as ever being explicitly addressed or condemned in scripture-ever. Only with bad examples with the mentally-off [[first King) Saul or the grieving, treacherous Judas Iscariot [[depicted in the Last Supper as the one with the purse hanging off his belt), do we see those given to the act of suicide.

The Bible does have two separate parts in the Gospel where Jesus admits suicide is a better option compared to something else [[saying it's better to tie a rock to one's own neck than traumatize a "little one" or lead one astray. Also, he admits it were better Judas had never been born. This echoes a sentiment in Ecclesiastes 6 that a man with prosperity who can't enjoy his prosperity in this futile life would have been better off a stillborn.). Also, Jesus [[in the book of John) admits no greater gift is that when a man lays down his life for someone else [[the very suicidal acts firemen commit every-time they run into a blazing structure to save some stranger's kids or when someone willingly takes a bullet for someone else.).

Catholic Canon frowns upon suicide, but because the Catholic church is very old and has been around so long, seen it all [[no, you really can't shock a Priest, contrary to what Buddy Hackett or Jim Jarmusch would have you think.), and been back and forth on tempering so many sticky and delicate issues, they are not so inclined to make such a crass and condemning statement [[condemn not lest you be condemned-for no one can judge another but God, any Christian should know that!), when all is said and done. In fact, the Catechism states that understandings for exception may be applied to those ending their lives after long bouts of suffering with mental illness.

I might be so crass to throw out the quirky line "suicide is only a dangerous hobby to the enthusiast", but the last DY forum poster I mentioned that around did end up killing themselves-so it would appear. The fact is we don't know what hell a person endured prior to their end. Many non-Christians demonstrate their unconscious desire of self-destruction when you see their abandonment to various forms of obliterative nihilist acts of hedonism [[whether it's lighting up a chemically-laden cigarette to the anorexic girls huffing Nitrous Oxide at some Detroit afterhours and going off to have a gang bang with a bunch of jock stranger d-bags. Yeah, we know better than that, and nothing says we hate our lives on this Earth more than when one takes on such an embracing of a "Culture of Death". Yeah, you think Miley Cyrus really likes her twisted life?). Some of the most "macho" man-against-the-elements survivalist authors [[Hemingway and Jack London) ended up killing themselves [[than again,that may be that whole "master of their own destiny" mentality of thumbing their nose at God the way some brotherhoods embrace).

We have no right to assume what pain this man went through prior to his death. Nor can we be so cold and arrogant as to assume how a merciful [[and sadly just) God will judge him.

For those feeling the bitterness of strapped times, cold weather [[and the gloom it brings), poor health, the pained irresolve of witnessing persistent injustice in the world, sickening revulsion at all of the lies and betrayal, and disgust with the ongoing circus of shrill abominations we see blaring daily on T.V. and the Internet, all I can offer is what the Electrifying Mojo would often offer in his broadcasts and that is to hang on and keep hanging on. We can't be so arrogant to assume we known what future events will hold no matter how trending and predictable they all are as they seem to be leading up to [[but yeah, Nazism did get more and more obvious and worse no matter who denied it wasn't) some calamity. Maybe a Sullenberger will come along and nose up an impossible landing for us. Maybe a humble and brave civil rights leader will step up and lay down their lives to provide one more example of hope. Maybe just some simple pleasure or kind gesture [[or memory we overlooked) will come along and touch us in a way that provides one more bridge to carry us over [[and thank God for the bridge that do carry us across), while we chuckle and say "where were you earlier."

Peace.
    Last edited by G-DDT; January-21-16 at 11:55 AM.

It may always be a matter of respect for kin. Yet, the reason all the many suicides at Harvard [[as may be the case at many Ivy League schools)-mostly by Asians-is that they are indeed suppressed. I sadly found this fact [[no Cambridge resident would deny) out living in a state where they go about schooling the way we do about automobiles.

The sad part about suicides is that they are usually committed in response to conditions that will pass or that have a relatively simple solution that the person involved just can't see or enact. Oftentimes it's brought on by an impulsive panic response to some life event or by treatable depression or a combination of these factors. The saddest thing is that work with survivors of suicide attempts shows that most of them instantly regret their decision, usually after it's too late.

Agreed. There's an old saying:

"On particularly rough days when I'm sure I can't possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days is so far 100% . . . and that's pretty good."

It is a permanent solution for a temporary problem. Sad for all involved. My thoughts with the man's family.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The sad part about suicides is that they are usually committed in response to conditions that will pass or that have a relatively simple solution that the person involved just can't see or enact. Oftentimes it's brought on by an impulsive panic response to some life event or by treatable depression or a combination of these factors. The saddest thing is that work with survivors of suicide attempts shows that most of them instantly regret their decision, usually after it's too late.
    Indeed, on both counts Al. Knew someone who jumped many years ago, as fate would have it he somehow survived in the face of all logic he should've died on impact, if not then drowned shortly.

The second......no the very millesecond he jumped, he screamed Oh my God what have I done, PLEASE save me. He had about an 8 month physical recovery period, with no continued ill effects afterwards.

Holy shit! How are you not banned from this website?! Insensitive and rude! Where's the ignore button?

Quote Originally Posted by yaktown View Post
    Holy shit! How are you not banned from this website?! Insensitive and rude! Where's the ignore button?
    Danny has been here for over a decade. If you knew his story, you wouldn't be so upset. Don't get worked up over it....

^^^ Yep. Ditto on that G.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-24-16 at 11:03 AM.

That sounds totally tripped out. Like did the person pull over [[a dangerous situation for others driving across) and jump off? Or did they walk to a section and jump? Or climb up the base railings by the shore sides? Whatever it was must have not been a big issue relative customs or traffic, or it would have been newsworthy, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Danny has been here for over a decade. If you knew his story, you wouldn't be so upset. Don't get worked up over it....
    I don't know his story, but I have no problem with his posts. I enjoy them. He often hits the head -- and sometimes not. Isn't that true of all of us?

Had a neighbor in Rosedale Park whose daughter who had a rollercoaster of problems. She would slip into drug addictions and then into radical religiousness with demons and such. Many times it would get under your skin talking to her. After a while, she got into the Hemlock society. That's the worst she got is when she would badger and corner me over the fence to get me involved with legalizing suicide. Thank God she got far away from that kind of thinking at some point.