Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    How much technology does one really need and at what cost,how much of ones income is dedicated directly to technology?
    EXACTLY....

This Chicken Little... 'the sky is falling' ranting from O3H is getting tiresome... especially his name calling rants. Half of the city doesn't even have a computer. 5G isn't going to help them.

I don't have cable... don't need it... and with 100 MBPS I am perfectly content... all the online pages are so clogged up with page ads... that the only thing that 5G will help most people is getting those ads faster... whoopee... I'll stick to 4G thank you.... now where did I put my antique rotary phone....

I have bigger things to worry about rather than internet speed and name calling...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    EXACTLY....

This Chicken Little... 'the sky is falling' ranting from O3H is getting tiresome... especially his name calling rants. Half of the city doesn't even have a computer off. 5G isn't going to help them.

I don't have cable... don't need it... and with 100 MBPS I am perfectly content... all the online pages are so clogged up with page ads... that the only thing that 5G will help most people is getting those ads faster... whoopee... I'll stick to 4G thank you.... now where did I put my antique rotary phone....

I have bigger things to worry about rather than internet speed and name calling...

Bring back the party line. @ least people got to REALLY know each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Bring back the party line. @ least people got to REALLY know each other.
    Ha,it’s no different then today,at least back then you knew when they were listening.

You could always tell,because the listeners would slowly push the receiver cradle down slowly before hanging up verses just hanging up.It was the click that gave it away.

I started the thread because many are DUMB, STUPID and IGNORANT.
    Now that the name calling is out of the way, few understand the tech,
    because they are simply unwilling to read the articles that explain it well.

Since you can't force people to drink from a well, even if it has the choice goods, displayed for all to see and read - pay, pay, pay, pay, pay - a LOT.
    Even as taxpayers, you WILL support the 5G movement, like it or not.

wAkE uP sHeEpLe!!!!

Good lord, are we going to have to get off you guys' lawn, too?

There are many sheep among us who follow the marketing kings.
    A few revealed themselves on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    There are many sheep among us who follow the marketing kings.
    A few revealed themselves on this thread.
    See... it is condescending comments like that, which is just YOUR OPINION, rather than based on any facts... that renders your threads and posts [[outside of water and sewage, your area of expertise) virtually irrelevant to many respected folks on this forum.

Chances are that anyone can find a Google search to match their pre-conceived notions... but it doesn't necessarily mean they are right.
    Last edited by Gistok; April-27-19 at 04:11 PM.

The fact exists, loud and clear, the 5GE launch fooled many.
    AT&T has been taken to court over it
    https://www.rcrwireless.com/20190424...keting-lawsuit

Don't give a rat piss if you like me Gistok, I deal in facts.
    My engineering degree is not in civil eng, or hydrology.
    People learn by reading, doing research, exploration and discovery, something I do quite a bit of, along with searching out the experts.

When someone posts a screen grab and claims it to be 5G
    they look real foolish, to all on this forum and the world at large
    Last edited by O3H; April-27-19 at 07:39 PM.

I also would be one to think it is not very nice on the name calling [[outside of politics where it is fair game).

I remember back when ATT was tweaking cell phones to misread signal strength and connectivity,even when they switched from GSM to Edge,they killed my little $500 Star Tac Motorola within 3 months of purchase,it was a brick,millions were fooled.

It does not make them look foolish,people have a right to believe a company is not playing those games.

This thread is confusing and O3H I cannot pin down if you are actually for or against 5G.

The most common theme I see across the country is lack of options for the basic services even more so if one is rual,that is always the supporting argument,to provide them with high speed options.

If more companies are not currently providing different options in Detroit and other places how are they going to be convinced to spend a billion to implement 5G.

I also stream at 100mbs,or that’s what they claim or charge me for, through fiber optics,when I speed check it is never near that,but there is nothing I cannot stream including no buffering movies,LTE on the phone.

The percentage of the population that actually really needs it is tiny, gamers and some commercial applications.

I used to pay $3000 per month for a DS3 line that was equal to 44.mbps.

I lived in a couple of cities that provided city wide WIFI and it was included in the property taxes,the problem there of course was peak times and the signal strength was where you would have to sit on the front porch to use it.

I can see 5G as a soulution in a city wide internet aspect with all of thier little brain frying pods hanging off of buildings,other then that it boils down to removing more local options while increasing the price of the existing one
    because you can say it is 5G.

The carriers do not care gov gives them millions and they will add the costs to the bill anyways.

I would say the longer Detroit does not have 5G the better off they are,people can keep that money in thier pocket.

I think 5G is the bait,3D is the next thing and they need 5G to implement it,if that is the case then the distance in between those who can afford high speed and those who cannot will widen even worse.
    Last edited by Richard; April-27-19 at 08:35 PM.

I am neither for 5G or against it, the progress train goes forward anyways.
    I have only 1 smartphone; a Motorola Moto G5 Plus [[Android) via AT&T.
    My data usage is minimal, not a gamer, not a big movie guy, a few apps

The only way an entity can sell you something you don't need,
    is to get you emotionally invested in the hype to a point you're hooked.
    We've been lied to, our entire lives, with unscrupulous advertising.

The catch with 5G is now all the TAXPAYERS pony up the cash.
    In an impoverished place like Detroit, where evictions are rampant, where the water bills don't get paid, where mortgages are defaulted, etc., etc.
    AND The City of Detroit went BANKRUPT [[a rare occurrence in the USA),
    - do people expect the tower owners and providers to use "their" $ ???
    Numerous example of them, using government money, before their own.
    That means taxpayers are paying for it, in a city that went Bankrupt.
    Our state also can't seem to find the cash for infrastructure for anything.

Detroit is unique , it fell on its face. High Tech involves High Costs $

FACT - Sixty-three, out of America’s most populous seventy-five,
    cities do not have enough money to pay all of their bills.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mayraro.../#d15cd522ebb9

5G’s nationwide commercial rollout—some analysts
    have
    predicted that we won’t see widespread deployment
    of strong 5G services in the U.S. until 2022 or 2023
    Last edited by O3H; April-27-19 at 11:46 PM.

We might do well to slow that 5G roll, and understand it better.
    5G Could Interfere With Satellite communications

https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...r-forecasting/

5G is hitting snags all over the place
    It simply can’t be used to its fullest potential without wide deployment
    of 5G hardware and related equipment: antennas, towers, wiring, etc
    Municipality regulations one of the biggest barriers to a speedy 5G rollout.
    Some examples include zoning policies, lengthy permitting processes,
    unreasonable fees, and even aesthetic concerns

5G is hitting snags all over the place
    It simply can’t be used to its fullest potential without wide deployment
    of 5G hardware and related equipment: antennas, towers, wiring, etc
    Municipality regulations one of the biggest barriers to a speedy 5G rollout.
    Some examples include zoning policies, lengthy permitting processes,
    unreasonable fees, and even aesthetic concerns

I have a 7th grader who knows a lot about this. I'm not kidding...his friends all "Internet" and know the tech really, really, well. About the only thing your paranoid ramblings got right is that the range is smaller...however, existing infrastructure can be retrofitted and there needs to be more "towers", albeit smaller ones. He compared the signals to microwave vs. radio, which I thought was informative.

Anywhoo, Detroit is well-equipped for this, and in about 12 months it will be more the norm, from what I understand. For now, for today, like any tech, it's a bit early and a bit expensive, and people with money will deal with the snags just to say they have it. The rest of us will be buying in a year or two, or whenever our phones are due to be upgraded.

They have 6G and 7G planned already...as most big companies do when it comes to mass consumer rollouts, and as we should understand being in an auto town.

But please, tell us more about the conspiracy. I'm sure the people in Seoul have carefully planned it out. Thank God you've uncovered it.

Got proof Detroit is well prepared ? Show us.
    If you need a 7th grader smarter than you are, I'll allow it.

Many in Detroit have no internet access and
    large telecommunications simply haven't invested in the city

https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/1081706...20Concerns.pdf
    Last edited by O3H; May-17-19 at 07:57 PM.

No internet = no 5G capability [[ and 5G depends on fiber optic speed)

Detroit lacks internet, multiple media/news outlets have reported on this

https://www.wxyz.com/news/hes-the-ci...ore-detroiters

For decades, Detroit has topped the list of “worst-connected cities” nationally,
    with 2013 data showing nearly 60% of its residents
    lacking in-home broadband subscriptions and 40% lacking any connection
    Last edited by O3H; May-18-19 at 04:48 PM.

No internet = no 5G capability [[ and 5G depends on fiber optic speed)

Detroit lacks internet, multiple media/news outlets have reported on this

https://www.wxyz.com/news/hes-the-ci...ore-detroiters

For decades, Detroit has topped the list of “worst-connected cities” nationally,
    with 2013 data showing nearly 60% of its residents
    lacking in-home broadband subscriptions and 40% lacking any connection
    People are beating up on you, and you seem to have a "hit me again, I love it" mentality.

Reason they are beating up on you? They heard you the first time... and the time after that... and the time after that... and the time after that... nearly 120 posts on this thread... going around in circles.

Problem is most poorer folks in Detroit don't have computes, they may be lucky to have a smartphone. They have bigger fish to fry than 5G, like paying their taxes and utility bills. And for most of us 5G is not even in the top 20 of things to worry about in life yet. Except for you. Maybe a hobby would help you from worrying about it.

Perhaps many have given up on Detroit and it will be passed over.

Technology enables progress, and if it doesn't exist or is minimal,
    the gap continues to widen and infrastructure evolution drops off.

I would like to see Detroit fight be on top again,
    it looks more and more like its drowning and sputtering.

Some industry analysts claim the millimeter-wave spectrum used for 5G
    "will never materially scale beyond small pockets of 5G hotspots
    in dense urban environments."
    That would seem to rule out the possibility of 5G's fastest speeds reaching suburbs.
    Last edited by O3H; May-18-19 at 10:38 PM.

If you're suggesting we'll all need a fiber line and a high bandwidth connection to support a 5G cell in each of our individual homes, you don't understand the technology. 5G cells will be installed along roads and other public right of ways.

Besides, individuals shouldn't have to keep investing more and more to keep chasing the latest greatest technologies.

The root cause of the digital divide is the expectation people have the financial means and desire to keep buying what the tech corporations want to sell us.

We should all be able to participate fully in the essentials of our daily lives without that. If we're creating a society that requires it, or puts people at a disadvantage without it, access to the essential technologies should be subsidized or made a public utility.

But if you choose to live on a half acre or out in the exurbs don't expect free 5G service and don't expect a subsidy. You're costing us far too much stretching our infrastructure to support you already.
    Last edited by bust; May-19-19 at 01:12 PM.

The facts say Detroit is lacking in fiber optic infrastructure.
    Taxpayers will be on the hook to pay for the Communications Industry.

By the end of 2014, America will have been charged about $400 billion by the local phone incumbents, Verizon, AT&T and CenturyLink, for a fiber optic future that never showed up

The facts say Detroit is lacking in fiber optic infrastructure.
    Taxpayers will be on the hook to pay for the Communications Industry.

By the end of 2014, America will have been charged about $400 billion by the local phone incumbents, Verizon, AT&T and CenturyLink, for a fiber optic future that never showed up
    Is this or is this not a forum about the entire Metro Detroit and Windsor area? Isn't that what DETROIT YES means?

So in one of the poorest cities in the US 40% of the 650,000 people who live there [[which would be 270,000 people, or less than 5 percent of the intended region) do not have access to the Internet and you are relating this to 5G?

Do you read the links that you post, or put them into context?

Basically all infrastructure is subsidized. In every place. Everywhere. So please stop with the taxpayer stuff.

Re-read that 2018 Court filing you quoted. Better yet, look up Telecom and the underlying everything that went into it. I'm not defending anyone, but you have misquoted advocacy rants written by lawyers and judges and needs to be digested as such. It's something I actually know a little more than a little about.

And don't you live in Warren?

Yes my 13-year-old knows more than me about this tech stuff. I was told once or maybe twice that knowing that you don't know shit is sort of like wisdom. And maybe I am stupid; that's subjective...and I really doubt I'm stupid. I know my 13-year-old isn't.

Maybe a personal reckoning would help you?

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ys/3739564002/

There's your new biscuit...can't wait to hear what you make if this.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ys/3739564002/

There's your new biscuit...can't wait to hear what you make if this.
    Will Detroit be left behind in Blood Sucking Mosquitos?

Stupid people like to change the topic - since they can't contribute.
    Bite that biscuit
    Last edited by O3H; May-20-19 at 09:39 PM.

Oh three. It is a very important topic. And stuff.

Mosquitos carry diseases. If our area residents are all sick due to mosquito bites then they can't work, and if they can't work then tax revenues shrink, which means we won't be able to pay for more infrastructure. And that will leave us all behind in 5G...

Sheeple don't understand the importance of combating mosquitos in our area.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast