Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A Decent Buttery Spread Anyone? Canola OIL FREE...

Odd foody question I know, but some here tear away from the screen long enough to cook ---- or perhaps like a good healthy spread on toast sometimes. Hah!

Changing from the stuff I have been using and would like a decent moderately low 'bad' fat spread. Picked up some 'Earth Balance' brand spread at Whole Foods -- supposedly as a 'healthy' alternative, only to re-read and re-think that it had the standard mystery combo filler of palm fruit - fancy name for palm oil? - CANOLA, and some not so other WHOLE ingredients.

Milk and gluten free brand mind you, but I am not not anti-milk I just don't drink it by the glass fulls. And Canola is just a dressed up name for Canadian Re-engineered Rapeseed refuse oil! Ick.

Maybe I should just go back to Ghee or yellow Land of Lakes sticks, what not or whipped margarine standard. Anyone suggest a good soft tub buttery spread perhaps olive oil infused? Canola oil free. Thanks.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-15-13 at 11:44 AM.

Maybe you should go back to butter... or the stuff disguised as it...

There is a conspiracy out there....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MsbvGmLaU4

Hilarious conspiracy indeed - I can't believe it!

Back to the basics I go. Not the 30 ingredient list or the fake 'health' stuff! Thanks.

I am curious to what the tie of this is to anything in Greater Detroit? Sure there are Whole Food stores here, but they are everywhere! LOL

I was thinking members of this site who may or may not live in the city who may know of a good brand. I figured they would share 'where' they purchased it as well. And we've had discussions here about hot sauce, best chicken, etc. here before...

I'm thinking there's a permanent vendor at eastern market that carries some olive oil based margarine or butter blends... anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ... And Canola is just a dressed up name for Canadian Re-engineered Rapeseed refuse oil! Ick....
    I don't understand your objection to Canola. I had always understood it to be a good health food.

Wikipedia explains it well. Oh, I think I understand now. "A genetically engineered rapeseed that is tolerant to herbicide was first introduced to Canada in 1995."

Bummer. Come on, Canada. I had higher expectations of you.

Well it's better than Cottonseed oil also used in food when Cottonseed oil is not even derived from a designated food product! I'd just rather not use it Canola..... See more about Canola here...

Good and bad, depends on what you read:

http://www.canolainfo.org/news/lates....php?detail=27

http://vanessaruns.com/2011/02/08/gm...se-canola-oil/

http://www.offthegridnews.com/2013/0...of-canola-oil/

Lightly salted butter and butter bell are always on my counter. I cook a lot with olive oil, but when it comes to bread or toast all the alternatives are poor substitutes for the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I don't understand your objection to Canola. I had always understood it to be a good health food.

Wikipedia explains it well. Oh, I think I understand now. "A genetically engineered rapeseed that is tolerant to herbicide was first introduced to Canada in 1995."

Bummer. Come on, Canada. I had higher expectations of you.

Man, I am herbicided by anything one would dare to call "rapeseed".

I am reaching back many years. I worked for a food wholesaler in Eastern Market. We had this amazing high quality butter substitude that is in a galleon size form called Pago. Hurld and Glaves went out of business a few years back. I know it was distributed out of Chicago and have been trying to find it ever since. It is all you are asking for so if you find it let me know. I am a butter purist, no oleo in my house but this stuff was just amazing, so I made an except for many years. Would love to find it again.

I vote real salted Butter. Not that salt free stuff, Yuck!!
    Why deny your self one of life's little pleasures, you only live once.

After learning how it handles cooking heats better than anything else, including olive oil, we've been using coconut oil for the last few years to great success. There is nothing quite like real popcorn popped in coconut oil...heavenly.

We use only real butter, too...although my darlin' is great finding those artisan nut butters and such when we're traveling...

Make your own. Take two sticks of butter, salted, unsalted, one of each, your preference. Put them nude in a bowl and let them soften to room temperature. Get your mixer ready, or your stick blender. Start mixing the butter till it is fluffy looking. Now take 1/2 cup - 1 cup of good olive oil. Make sure you like the flavor of the oil. Start pouring it into the butter about 1/4 cup at a time. Mix it in and whip it good. Add some more, and mix it some more. You are done when you mixture is really slack but not actually runny. Clean off your mixers, then pack your spread in a container. I just use the whipped butter container from the last batch I actually bought. Put it in the fridge and it should set up nice and spreadable. If it is too solid, you can add more oil and whip it up again. Too soft, add a little more butter. It may take a time or two to get it just right. I am on my third batch and getting pretty close.

Gaz always has great cooking advice. Unsalted butter has its place too in the baked goods arena. I don't much care for sweet baked goods but cook all the time for others.

You all are the greatest...... All comments have been helpful. So perhaps I will just blend my own per Gaz's recipe. I already reground some of my seasonings that I mix to release more flavor at time of use, so what the heck. Thank you so much.

Say herbs and my eyes light up.

As I write, I have a small pork loin marinading in a butter, lemon, garlic blend, before baking I will add Rosemary and thyme. The smell is just heavenly. Tastes fantastic.

Currently I am on a hunt for broccoli slaw, I think Dole makes it. I have asked 2 local markets to bring it in and they say sure but don't. I have a recipe to die for and am a lazy cook. Healthy, fantastic taste.

^^^ I'm coming to your house tonight for dinner ---- ! Sounds nice.

has anyone tried this? just saw it at my local kroger.

http://kerrygoldusa.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ I'm coming to your house tonight for dinner ---- ! Sounds nice.
    You are always welcome! Due to some past health issues I dropped to 118 pounds, I looked awful. I am now a healthy, 135# 5'7. I am on a mission today. A trip to Hamtramck for great lunch meats and Kielbasa for my husband. I like their fresh sauerkraut too at Schrodek. Do two loads of laundry, vacuum/dust, re salt walks. Make Spritz cookies and two sour cream apple pies. That is an ambitious day for me. Slowly I am getting back up to speed.

We use Challenge butter [[sticks and whipped). According to their map, though, it's not sold in Michigan. http://challengedairy.com/products

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Say herbs and my eyes light up.

Mine, too...indirectly.

^^^^^^
    Hahahahha, John!! We gotta get togther soon!

Venison chops sauteed in bacon grease [[Nish butter ) with baked sweet potato and sides of relishes, pickles, olives here.

The butter-type substance we use is SmartBalance. For us it works fine. Great on toast, melts nicely and contains no transfats or other ugly stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast