Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Microsoft Bites

Default Microsoft Bites

There is a problem that is very common - files put on an external hard drive from Windows XP or Vista can not be accessed on a windows 7 PC. errors say it requires administrator approval to access, copy, move, etc. Clearly a Windows 7 issue, MS refuses to acknowledge it.

Id have to disagree with you on this one....

Not had any problems doing just as you described....

rb336, I feel bad. I had a similar issue as what you described and there's an easy fix for it, but I can't remember what I did. I think you have to change the permissions on the all the files on the external drive. I'll try to Google the solution if I remember to. It's a simple fix though, a permissions issue.

Occurrence Guest

My old desktop uses XP and my laptop is windows 7. I transfer files all the time without a problem. There might be something wrong with your external harddrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    rb336, I feel bad. I had a similar issue as what you described and there's an easy fix for it, but I can't remember what I did. I think you have to change the permissions on the all the files on the external drive. I'll try to Google the solution if I remember to. It's a simple fix though, a permissions issue.
    Yep, that's what I did. It's a pain with hundreds of files

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Isn't it just a right-click on the drive and then select properties and you can adjust the permissions on the entire drive at one time?

I agree about this issue being a pain. The first time I ran into it I was totally thrown off as to why they did it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Isn't it just a right-click on the drive and then select properties and you can adjust the permissions on the entire drive at one time?

I agree about this issue being a pain. The first time I ran into it I was totally thrown off as to why they did it that way.
    That was the first thing we tried, but it wouldn't allow it.

This is a common problem. Have you tried taking ownership of the files/folders?
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc753659.aspx
    Last edited by RO_Resident; February-24-12 at 10:56 PM.

Ive never heard of this problem. I had for years saved files on XP at work, and had no problems when we transitioned to 7. Heck not even problems reading and writing those files on a Mac. There's gotta be some weird bug here that I'm certain is more easily fixable with your drive.

Tell us more about your drive. FAT32 or NTSF?
    Last edited by wolverine; February-25-12 at 12:31 PM.

Occurrence Guest

Microsoft isn't as bad as iTunes. That's the worst program ever. I hate MAc products because of it.

Microsoft updates its software program every 2 to 4 years. If the old PC and its software program is obsolete, buy a new PC with a new Microsoft software program. I have my new Microsoft Windows 7 in 2011. Soon it would be obsolete by 2015 and a new Windows will come in.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

"Keep up with the Joneses!"

For the 99 Percenters and Guy Fawkes, I miss you so, Neda.

Windows 8 will basically be a smart phone interface.

Win 10 problems -

Just to save my start menu from crashing again, during a win 10 upgrade, I tried to backup my start menu to a drive. Turns out, you just about need a win 10 cert. and the ability to partition an OS and readmin. and password to save to the same computer.

Thank you Microsoft, for making it SO easy for 99% of your consumers.

And here I am trying to shorten to ten words to back out of this
    thread.
    Last edited by Bigb23; May-08-19 at 10:10 PM.

BTW - who is the radio guy who can do the long paragraph of disclaimers in 2.5 seconds?
    Yes, I guess it is legal.

Did you change your username during one of you upgrades on the PC you use to access the external hard drive? That will do it every time. And If you change the permissions on the folders it should allow you to access the files within
    Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post

Today I was surfing around Ebay in my chair with a keyboard in my lap.
    I leaned forward to reach for something and then leaned back.

Looked at my screen again, and it was upside down !! I thought it was some kind of hi-jack and googled it on my cellphone. Turns out I pressed
    Ctrl - Alt - arrow down with my stomach !

Same with arrow up put it back to normal. Thanks Win 10 for the minor heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Today I was surfing around Ebay in my chair with a keyboard in my lap.
    I leaned forward to reach for something and then leaned back.

Looked at my screen again, and it was upside down !! I thought it was some kind of hi-jack and googled it on my cellphone. Turns out I pressed
    Ctrl - Alt - arrow down with my stomach !

Same with arrow up put it back to normal. Thanks Win 10 for the minor heart attack.
    How is it Microsoft's fault that you pushed a legitimate, designed key combo with your stomach?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    ...Turns out I pressed Ctrl - Alt - arrow
    I didn't know you could do that! It works for me too [[after a momentary blank screen)! But why would anyone want to do that?! The left & right arrows work too.

I once designed an email-triggered hack that turned each character upside down but it left it in place on the display. I did it to prank the system manager - the guy in charge of the BIG computer. It worked! He was baffled.

I had a reputation for pranking people. Whenever the power failed I'd yell out "It worked! I can't believe that worked!"
    Last edited by Jimaz; August-15-19 at 06:34 PM.

Probably if you're using Win 10 in tablet mode on a touch laptop so you can flip the laptop tablet/screen around how you want it.

How is it Microsoft's fault that you pushed a legitimate, designed key combo with your stomach?

Because it was easier to do that with my stomach than this with my stomach [[per Microsoft) -

Change screen orientation

• Select Start Windows logo Start button > Settings Gear-shaped Settings icon > System > Display, and choose a screen orientation from the drop-down list labelled Orientation.

So your stomach understands directions better than your brain is their problem?