Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit NAACP Convention 2020...

Last edited by Zacha341; July-23-19 at 08:23 AM.

Tlaib's "I'm not going nowhere" quote really reflects well on her.

I think people going back 40 years [[and I don't, I'm younger, but this is kinda what I know) wouldn't understand how far our vitriol and grammar has fallen on both sides in politics. You didn't see this with Jimmy Carter, Robert Reagan, G. H.W., Clinton, GB [[he came the closest, but he doesn't look so bad now with Trump, does he?), or Obama [[the best of them all, in my opinion). But in this climate, it seems that everything gets thrown out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    I think people going back 40 years [[and I don't, I'm younger, but this is kinda what I know) wouldn't understand how far our vitriol and grammar has fallen on both sides in politics. You didn't see this with Jimmy Carter, Robert Reagan, G. H.W., Clinton, GB [[he came the closest, but he doesn't look so bad now with Trump, does he?), or Obama [[the best of them all, in my opinion). But in this climate, it seems that everything gets thrown out the window.
    I read Zacha341's links, and it sounds like promises-for-votes pandering. As far as Tlaib goes, I'm not paying her to waste more taxpayer time and money trying to keep trying to impeach Trump. Maybe she was just having a bad hair day.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-23-19 at 10:33 AM.

It's an improvement from the 'motherf****er' comment early on before Trump ran his mouth from tweeting in the midnight hour!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Tlaib's "I'm not going nowhere" quote really reflects well on her.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-23-19 at 10:57 AM.

I hope the NAACP will tell black Detroiters to stop doing this:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...sh/1802290001/

I have family in that area. Extremely bad corner [[Davison and Livernois).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGkQgv_h5tM

Recall pastor Winans was robbed same area... [[Linwood and Davison)

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I read Zacha341's links, and it sounds like promises-for-votes pandering.
    Has Mexico paid for that wall yet? I seem to recall someone making promises along that line... But that wasn't pandering to get votes from uneducated rubes. Not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    I hope the NAACP will tell black Detroiters to stop doing this:

I sure hope the NRA will tell white people to stop doing this.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/18/73356...ourthouse-buil
    Last edited by aj3647; July-23-19 at 03:31 PM.

^^^ Again we have the 'either/ or' construct when in point of fact ALL OF THIS DAMN VIOLENCE needs to cease!

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Has Mexico paid for that wall yet? I seem to recall someone making promises along that line... But that wasn't pandering to get votes from uneducated rubes. Not at all.

I sure hope the NRA will tell white people to stop doing this.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/18/73356...ourthouse-buil

Speaking of uneducated rubes... The NRA accusation has been repeated over and over by the Children of the Hill. One has nothing to do with the other. SLOW CHILDREN ​Actually if one leaves Mom's basement and computer, and interacts with real people, one will find that a lot of people with degrees voted for the current President. Not pseudo-intellectuals, though.

Pelosi is stone-walling the wall. She's hoping to gather more illegal votes.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-24-19 at 06:57 AM.

I wonder if Representative Tlaib appreciate the way in which she is
    strongly abetting the reelection campaign for President Trump?

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    I wonder if Representative Tlaib appreciate the way in which she is
    strongly abetting the reelection campaign for President Trump?
    I realize the primary process is designed to let everyone have their say but they spend 2 years arguing among themselves, putting each other down, spouting crazy ideas, etc. and wonder why their own party, never mind independents, don't immediately rally around their chosen candidate when he finally runs for office against the opposition the final 4 months.

Haven't we learned anything since 1911?

Name:  1d Booker T Washington.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  185.2 KB

^^^ B.T.W. did not write that! You made it up, or got it from Fox News!----

And yet there are actual grievances still not addressed, but we benefit little from huckters that make a living off these issues - not really seeking a solution.

Additionally, W. E. B. Dubois stated this...
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-24-19 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Pelosi is stone-walling the wall. She's hoping to gather more illegal votes.
    ETC. So long as they do not impact her family and friends, or live in her community. The elite at her level [[repubs and DEMS) don't even drive. They are chauffeured from one royal enclosure or scheduled meeting to the next with armed security.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-25-19 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I have family in that area. Extremely bad corner [[Davison and Livernois).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGkQgv_h5tM

Recall pastor Winans was robbed same area... [[Linwood and Davison)

Too many young black men, angry and mentally ill. This Davis man needs to be charged and arrested. he's on tape so he'll be convicted. But he needs some solitary time away from human beings.

No, Zacha, he actually said it:
    https://teachingamericanhistory.org/...he-boston-mob/
    ^^^ B.T.W. did not write that! You made it up, or got it from Fox News!----

And yet there are actual grievances still not addressed, but we benefit little from huckters that make a living off these issues - not really seeking a solution.

Additionally, W. E. B. Dubois stated this...

^^^ Um I was joking......

I have read Washington's writings [[Douglass and Dubois) and understand his view and philosophy. Some of which I agree with.

Until about 16 years ago, there was a building on East Grand Boulevard just east of Woodward which was the headquarters of the Booker T. Washington league in Detroit. Richard W. Thomas from MSU wrote a very informative book about the conflict between the followers of Washington and DuBois in Detroit: Life for Us is What We Make It: Building Black Community in Detroit: 1915-1945

^^^ Yes, a compelling work indeed. A core understanding of the beliefs and differences between activists Booker T. Washington and W. E. Dubois regarding black people, culture and community can be found in the famous poem by Broadside Press founder and publisher Dudley Randall called:

Booker T. and W.E.B.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-25-19 at 08:20 AM.

Here's a link for that book:

https://www.amazon.com/Life-What-Mak.../dp/0253359902

Quote Originally Posted by renf View Post
    ...Richard W. Thomas from MSU wrote a very informative book about the conflict between the followers of Washington and DuBois in Detroit: Life for Us is What We Make It: Building Black Community in Detroit: 1915-1945
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-25-19 at 08:20 AM.

Zacha, I am completely ignorant as to the full scope of the kinds of racial bigotry black folks have had to deal with.

It is not that I am not knowledgeable about it, but there is a difference between knowing and knowing. One can have an intellectual understanding of any subject, but one doesn’t know it until they experience it.

For example, you can know what it is like to have an infant, but until you’ve paced the floors at 3 AM with a demon wailing in your arms, you don’t know what having a child is all about.

With that said, and not wanting to sound more ignorant than usual, why doesn’t the NAACP change the C?

I don’t know much, but know this, if I was to start using C to my friends I soon would have no friends.

Thank you in advance for clueing me in.
    Last edited by gnome; July-25-19 at 03:44 PM.

ETC. The elite at her level [[repubs and DEMS) don't even drive. They are chauffeured from one royal enclosure or scheduled meeting to the next with armed security.
    And yet, people slammed Engler for driving his own car.

And who is it that eroded laws against the kinds of weapons that have caused so many to go behind armored vehicles? Oh yeah, that N group of whackadoos.
    Last edited by Meddle; July-26-19 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Zacha, I am completely ignorant as to the full scope of the kinds of racial bigotry black folks have had to deal with.

It is not that I am not knowledgeable about it, but there is a difference between knowing and knowing. One can have an intellectual understanding of any subject, but one doesn’t know it until they experience it.

For example, you can know what it is like to have an infant, but until you’ve paced the floors at 3 AM with a demon wailing in your arms, you don’t know what having a child is all about.

With that said, and not wanting to sound more ignorant than usual, why doesn’t the NAACP change the C?

I don’t know much, but know this, if I was to start using C to my friends I soon would have no friends.

Here you go:

https://www.wral.com/ask-anything-10...arber/4142989/

Insightful observations G! I had an aunt, well educated, born late thirties who NEVER, ever accepted the term Black or African-American.

She only used 'Colored' or Negro for others/ herself. The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, derived from a time when we were considered 'Colored' wouldn't benefit from a name change now. Yet with the present revisionist culture perhaps the NAACP will become the NAAPOC?

It's interesting that while many Black, A-A GenX, millennials, onward, etc. would NOT embrace 'Colored' as a noun, they widely use the term People of 'Color' [[POC) which I least prefer.

I get that POC presents as a broad-term by which anyone of non-European decent can claim - leveraged in most instances a political interest, particularly within identity politics. This is especially so as placement within the hierarchy of intersectionalism. Even better if you believe in the social and political power and philosophy of intersectionalism. Opinions vary.

I believe the term POC, unfortunately also removes certain distinction[[s) where ones 'color' is derived, should that be important to that individual or group. Some want their specific race used/ recognized such as Caribbean, or perhaps they can be used together [[Caribbean-Person of Color)?

I'm fine with Black or African-American personally. And yes, someone White referring to a Black person 'Colored' would harken back to time period of segregation and blunt racism.

It's been my observation, for example, in academe the use People of Color to define and address Black and Brown people a more progressive term to use, used widely.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    ...why doesn’t the NAACP change the C?

Last edited by Zacha341; July-26-19 at 08:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast