Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Same Old Lions?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    when is the BYE week? What team is on the schedule that is not doing so well yet or considered non-contenders?
    They get their bye in week 9, November 8th. Games leading up to the bye are, Cards, Bears, Vikings, and @ the Chiefs. 3 out of 4 at home, then they're @ GB after the bye week, if that's any consolation......
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-06-15 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    They get their bye in week 9, November 8th. Games leading up to the bye are, Cards, Bears, Vikings, and @ the Chiefs. 3 out of 4 at home, then they're @ GB after the bye week, if that's any consolation......
    They could beat the Bears.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    I fell asleep before this happened so I was spared the disappointment, frustration, and anger that would have likely made for a much less restful night.

I'm pretty sure that Schwartz would have died of a massive heart attack last night had he been on the sidelines.
    I read this out loud during lunch break today at work. Well, it was off to the rodeo! The discussion switched to UM.

These first four games really seem like pre-season football. My guess is that they'll eek out a win here and there, probably go 4 and 6 rest of the way [[minus any analysis about this). But with so many divisional games left on the books... I will be watching. Go Lions!

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    They could beat the Bears.
    I hope so because I have tickets to that game!

I hope so because I have tickets to that game!
    Me too. I was thinking that Lions may have been fighting to get back to @3-3 just prior to the fumble fiasco on Monday night.

I would love to see the Lions sweep the Bears again this year, if that happens it will 6 in a row. Also known in Chicago as a three-peat repeat.

They'll beat the Bears twice. That team is truly awful. Besides that, no clue.

Kudos to Caldwell for not blaming the loss on the refs, though. That is the most idiotic excuse-making. Even if the refs got the call right, there's no reason to think the Lions would have won the game. They hadn't scored a touchdown all game; no reason to think they would magically change course.

I'd like to think we can beat the Bears, but I'm not so sure. They actually have a running game with Forte. At what point does the conversation turn to who we select with the number one pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    They'll beat the Bears twice. That team is truly awful. Besides that, no clue.

Kudos to Caldwell for not blaming the loss on the refs, though. That is the most idiotic excuse-making. Even if the refs got the call right, there's no reason to think the Lions would have won the game. They hadn't scored a touchdown all game; no reason to think they would magically change course.
    If they got the call correct, they would have had the ball, 1st and goal at the 1/2 yard line. No reason to think they wouldn't score that close with 4 attempts. I beg to differ on Caldwell. He should have went bonkers on the refs and the league, for allowing these blown calls to keep happening to the Lions. Bill Ford Jr also says nothing. Jerry Jones or Robert Kraft would not allow this, they'd be all over the league, if this continually happened to their teams. They stand up for their teams and fans, the Lions brain trust, not so much. "If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything"
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-07-15 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I agree that Caldwell shouldn't have blamed the refs for the loss, but I'm not sure that the total silence he's given is right, either. Look, it's no secret that there are favorites in the NFL and that the Lions are not on this list. If the exact scenario had unfolded but it was the Packers or Broncos, the media storm would have been over 10x higher. Heck, even if the Lions were 4-0 or 3-1, then the reaction would have been different. But on the whole, this kind of thing happens to the Lions, Browns, Bucs, Jaguars, Raiders, or other teams that don't command respect, and while it made national headlines, the feel on the reporting from the national stage had a shrug-of-the-shoulders "Ah, whaddya gonna do" type vibe.

Caldwell is a quiet guy who doesn't complain a lot. That's why I think that a complaint in this scenario would have actually commanded quite a bit of respect. Unfortunately, I think that the thought running through his head is that the coach of an 0-4 team probably ought to keep his mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I'd like to think we can beat the Bears, but I'm not so sure. They actually have a running game with Forte. At what point does the conversation turn to who we select with the number one pick?
    Maybe I'm too much of an optimist but I don't think they'll be near the number one pick when it's all said and done. They're finishing up the toughest part of their schedule. The offense is playing about as bad as they can, to the point where despite what Caldwell has said, they can't keep Lombardi in charge of play calling for much longer if the play continues at this level. The defense looked good on Monday.

Don't get me wrong. Playoffs are out of the question, and I think a top 10 pick is likely, but I see 5-6 wins at least, which is awful, but not first-on-the-clock awful.

The start of this year's schedule has been downright brutal.

The first four games have been @Chargers, @Vikings, Broncos, @Seahawks.

According to a newspaper's power ranking:

@#12 Chargers, @#10 Vikings, #4 Broncos and @#6 Seahawks.

By RANDOMLY picking a schedule - 3 of 4 on road and no bottom half opponents???? About the only way to make that schedule tougher would have been to say substitute the Packers for the Vikings.

Some early season schedules predestine teams to do very well or very poorly. This year the later.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I hope never. We've been down that road to nowhere quite a bit over the last 57 years.

I agree that Caldwell shouldn't have blamed the refs for the loss, but I'm not sure that the total silence he's given is right, either. Look, it's no secret that there are favorites in the NFL and that the Lions are not on this list. If the exact scenario had unfolded but it was the Packers or Broncos, the media storm would have been over 10x higher. Heck, even if the Lions were 4-0 or 3-1, then the reaction would have been different. But on the whole, this kind of thing happens to the Lions, Browns, Bucs, Jaguars, Raiders, or other teams that don't command respect, and while it made national headlines, the feel on the reporting from the national stage had a shrug-of-the-shoulders "Ah, whaddya gonna do" type vibe.

Caldwell is a quiet guy who doesn't complain a lot. That's why I think that a complaint in this scenario would have actually commanded quite a bit of respect. Unfortunately, I think that the thought running through his head is that the coach of an 0-4 team probably ought to keep his mouth shut.
    Obviously Caldwell wasn't aware of that rule or he wouldn't have just stood there like a cigar store Indian. Bill Belachek [[ or however you spell it ) knows that rule, the Pats practice for that situation.

I became a serious Detroit Lions football fan in 1967 at 12 yrs old. Quarterbacks, Milt Plum and Carl Sweetan. It was the rookie season for both Mel Farr and Lem Barney, and I remember as a young kid how frustrated I would become whenever the lions would lose. At the time, I had no idea that I was in for a lifetime of frustration. I remember the sense of hope when we would go 7 for 7 for the season, [[14 game schedule) and the cry of "Wait until next year". I remember the feeling of hope of "another one bites the dust" season, 6 and 0 at the Silverdome. We finally got a quarterback, Scott Mitchell, all we need is a running game, Billy Sims, Barry Sanders. We need a new General Mangers Russ Thomas is the problem.
    Some years I would attempt to make a deal with myself, "when the lions lose I WILL NOT GET FRUSTRATED". I remember the season of beating all the good teams, but lose to the bad ones and after all those seasons we had the feeling that we're almost there, wait until next year!
    I remember being undefeated at home and a win at the final home game puts us in the playoffs, only to lose to the team with the worst record in the NFL. I remember the season that a field goal gets us into the playoffs, field goal GOOD..., no wait 12 men on the field.

In my early twenties, I made a joke that I would be an old man before the lion goes to the super bowl. I am now 60-year-old. The truth of the matter, we are loyal Detroit Lions fan and I will go to my grave root for the Detroit Lions! So this season, I am not going let myself get frustrated because there's always next year.

A 90 year old lady in charge? Everyone at the Lions does know that this is the NFL right? If you really want to win that's not going to work.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nf...d-jr/73674882/

58 years of a losing culture w/players just collecting a weekly paycheck.....other than fans, who ever said the Lions will be world champs & spend/hire whatever is necessary to make it happen?

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Well, that positive spirit went away fast after the Lions blew this game in the second half.
    It will be interesting to see how Coach Caldwell handles this and many more defeats to come.
    Where was Calvin today?
    They hold him out of practice games to keep him fresh for the season and
    he's nowhere to be found.
    What happened to that big run stopper?
    Looks like another long season.
    I think 8-8 record is likely now [[if they are lucky). No playoffs.
    Well, they are not quite the same old Lions. Before turning the tv off, I see that Stafford has been benched. Is that a first?

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator_cew View Post
    I became a serious Detroit Lions football fan in 1967 at 12 yrs old. Quarterbacks, Milt Plum and Carl Sweetan. It was the rookie season for both Mel Farr and Lem Barney, and I remember as a young kid how frustrated I would become whenever the lions would lose. At the time, I had no idea that I was in for a lifetime of frustration. I remember the sense of hope when we would go 7 for 7 for the season, [[14 game schedule) and the cry of "Wait until next year". I remember the feeling of hope of "another one bites the dust" season, 6 and 0 at the Silverdome. We finally got a quarterback, Scott Mitchell, all we need is a running game, Billy Sims, Barry Sanders. We need a new General Mangers Russ Thomas is the problem.
    Some years I would attempt to make a deal with myself, "when the lions lose I WILL NOT GET FRUSTRATED". I remember the season of beating all the good teams, but lose to the bad ones and after all those seasons we had the feeling that we're almost there, wait until next year!
    I remember being undefeated at home and a win at the final home game puts us in the playoffs, only to lose to the team with the worst record in the NFL. I remember the season that a field goal gets us into the playoffs, field goal GOOD..., no wait 12 men on the field.

In my early twenties, I made a joke that I would be an old man before the lion goes to the super bowl. I am now 60-year-old. The truth of the matter, we are loyal Detroit Lions fan and I will go to my grave root for the Detroit Lions! So this season, I am not going let myself get frustrated because there's always next year.
    Right. It's that blind loyalty that keeps non-achievers like the Lions in business. I mean, if the Lions were a car would you keep buying that brand? If they were a restaurant would they get your repeat business? I know hope can spring eternal but don't you ever get the urge to pull the plug on these turkeys?

Quote Originally Posted by garyalex View Post
    Right. It's that blind loyalty that keeps non-achievers like the Lions in business. I mean, if the Lions were a car would you keep buying that brand? If they were a restaurant would they get your repeat business? I know hope can spring eternal but don't you ever get the urge to pull the plug on these turkeys?
    I'm as loyal of a Lions fan as it gets. Heaven knows I even started the original Lions thread here years ago only to skip out on account of life stepping into the fray.

I watched a good chunk of this game online and was pretty disgusted. It was as painful to watch as some of those 0-16 games. In so many ways, it was even more painful because of the way the team played last week against a much superior Seattle team. It was really tough to watch our Lions sputter, struggle and self destruct at every turn.

I'm far from being a Lions apologist but what's a fan to do? I could cheer for another team but I can't. I know it'd be easy to cheer for a winning team and get aboard their band wagon, but I'd almost feel dirty- like I was cheating on a spouse. And I love football too much to completely turn it off. Even if I were to not watch- I'd still sneak a peek at the box score. Let's admit we're dating the "homely gal" here at this dance.

Today's game was a hideously slow dance, with the spotlight on us, and we both tripped all over ourselves.

We can only hope to get up, dust ourselves off, regain some measure of dignity, and start all over again. The Lions are our team and we go home with this one each and every week.

The root cause is a non-existent winning commitment from the owner & front-office that reflects the outcome every week [[same MO for the last 58 years). Not entertaining, not fulfilling, but still profitable.....who is the fool?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    The root cause is a non-existent winning commitment from the owner & front-office that reflects the outcome every week [[same MO for the last 58 years). Not entertaining, not fulfilling, but still profitable.....who is the fool?
    I don't consider myself a fool because I like going to Ford Field to see Pro Football. I know what I'm getting, I know the Lions are going to lose the majority of the time, I never actually believe their going to win a playoff game let alone make a Super Bowl appearance.

If someone’s main criticism is with the ownership, well—they can’t fire themselves. Regarding general management & coaching personnel, those are issues that have no magic solutions any more than there are regarding individual players. Every new quarterback for however many seasons have been initially touted as the next Joe Montana. But then….

The team doesn’t have to worry about Mr. Suh’s roughhousing/ fines anymore [[and everyone, including local sports writers were saying it was the best thing to let him go and rebuild with the remaining roster), but on the other hand, the defense seems to struggle even more regularly. Oh well. At least we can say that the Dolphins are only 1 and 3?

Caldwell deserves to stay until at least the end of the season, as well as Martin Mayhew, then the owners can make a decision. Dumping them both now would likely not improve the W-L record dramatically, and the optics of seeing the black GM and head coach of the team bounced this abruptly would be sketchy, at best.
    Last edited by Hypestyles; October-12-15 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    I'm as loyal of a Lions fan as it gets. Heaven knows I even started the original Lions thread here years ago only to skip out on account of life stepping into the fray.

I watched a good chunk of this game online and was pretty disgusted. It was as painful to watch as some of those 0-16 games. In so many ways, it was even more painful because of the way the team played last week against a much superior Seattle team. It was really tough to watch our Lions sputter, struggle and self destruct at every turn.

I'm far from being a Lions apologist but what's a fan to do? I could cheer for another team but I can't. I know it'd be easy to cheer for a winning team and get aboard their band wagon, but I'd almost feel dirty- like I was cheating on a spouse. And I love football too much to completely turn it off. Even if I were to not watch- I'd still sneak a peek at the box score. Let's admit we're dating the "homely gal" here at this dance.

Today's game was a hideously slow dance, with the spotlight on us, and we both tripped all over ourselves.

We can only hope to get up, dust ourselves off, regain some measure of dignity, and start all over again. The Lions are our team and we go home with this one each and every week.
    You know, I get that. I also know that all of the internet comments in the world aren't going to change a thing in terms of this team's success or failure. What else can be done? Should Lions fans stop purchasing season tickets? Should fans stop going to their games? Perhaps stop buying their merchandise? That's unlikely to happen because, as you point out, they're our Lions and are the only pro game in town. You want to love them because they're ours. They're like family. I don't expect them to win the Super Bowl every few years. I just want to see excellence and a competitive attitude. I want to see a team that's respected by their peers because they've earned that respect.

^^ Agreed with most of the things you said Hypestyles however, Stafford whether right, wrong or indifferent is the real reason why this team is playing poorly. The defense is also suspect, but a team seldom wins without good to great QB play. He has lost all confidence and his play has regressed exponentially. I see a QB such as Aaron Rodgers who plays similar to Stafford as far as extending plays while on the move etc.. but he doesn't nearly make the bad decisions that Stafford seems to make. GB is a better run organization obviously as well. Rodgers threw his first 2 picks at home for the first time in 5 years, and they still won handily. Now I'm not comparing him to Rodgers, it's no comparison. But Stafford has been in the league 7 seasons, and outside one record breaking year, he hasn't shown to be a top tier QB in the NFL, but he's being paid like one. Never should have signed him to that extension, he hadn't proved worthy of it.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; October-12-15 at 12:30 PM.

I admire and, at the same time, feel sorry for Lions fans. I could never be a passionate football fan the way I am for the Tigers, and to a lesser degree the Wings and Pistons. The season is so short and can turn on one player, injuries, a bad ref call, etc. Throw in the constant player turnover and it's tough to be loyal. At least in the the other sports you have a pretty good idea of the kind of team you have going in [[this yr. was an exception for the Tigers) and if you're a .500 team you just relax, watch the young guys develop and enjoy the individual games. I just don't think you can go and watch a football game with all the inherent passion and enjoy it when the team is eliminated a quarter of the way into the season.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast