Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Willi Guest

Default Naval Armory resurrected ?

After the R. Thornton Brodhead Naval Armory closed in 2003, the building surrendered to burst pipes and scrappers. Now the city of Detroit wants to redevelop the property at the gateway to Belle Isle.

See article on Crains webpage
    Last edited by Willi; November-30-14 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    After the R. Thornton Brodhead Naval Armory closed in 2003, the building surrendered to burst pipes and scrappers. Now the city of Detroit wants to redevelop the property at the gateway to Belle Isle.

See article on Crains webpage
    I wonder if there's a link to the story?

Willi Guest

Part of the waterfront history of Detroit, Michigan

Attachment 25052

-
    More pics shown on this page from theBrodhead Armory Photo Gallery

http://www.daads.org/preservation/threatened01_show.htm
    Last edited by Willi; December-01-14 at 10:14 AM.

Attachment 25052

-

I think that's the wrong one.

Attachment 25052

-

The pictures are not Brodhead but the link is accurate. My Dad fought a lot of pro fights in that gym from 1932 - 34 as Michigan Bantamweight Champion.

Willi Guest

Perhaps Detroit had 2 naval armories ? an old site and a new site.

http://detroithistorical.org/learn/encyclopedia-of-detroit/detroit-naval-armory

The Brodhead Naval Armory on Jefferson Avenue, by MacArthur bridge
    and another on shore of Trail Creek by the Franklin Street Bridge?

http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/detroit/d7.htm

http://detroiths.pastperfect-online....ory%22;dtype=d
    Last edited by Willi; December-01-14 at 12:03 PM.

There is no Franklin St. Bridge or Trail Creek in Detroit. That building is in Michigan City, Indiana.

This is the Brodhead Armory [[aka Detroit Naval Armory):

It's on E. Jefferson just east of Gabriel Richard Park, which is just east of the Belle Isle [[MacArthur) Bridge.

I toured that building before the "deal was up" and the DOD turned the bulilding over to the City of Detroit. I was in remarkable condition, the big attraction were the WPA murals of sailors and nautical scenes in the second floor rear officer's club.
    Reverting to the city, it had no where to go but down, and down it went. Scrappers moved in--ahhh, you know the rest.

Attachment 25052

-

That's the Michigan City, Indiana armory.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    I toured that building before the "deal was up" and the DOD turned the bulilding over to the City of Detroit. I was in remarkable condition, the big attraction were the WPA murals of sailors and nautical scenes in the second floor rear officer's club.
    Reverting to the city, it had no where to go but down, and down it went. Scrappers moved in--ahhh, you know the rest.
    I also did that tour and thought the building was not only in remarkable condition, but could be made useful. I'm sorry to hear it's in such a sorry state now. The way of our City government. I think the whole "Gateway To Belle Isle" thing is a pipe dream.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    This is sadly standard operating procedure here. Building of significant historical value but zero commercial value is set adrift. Much handwringing all around. Building is left open to the elements and scrappers and any redeeming qualities of the building are thoroughly destroyed. Now a decade late and 10s of millions short of funding... RFPs and building hugging happens to stop the demolition of a building that had little to offer before and zero to offer now.

Thanks Obama.

We should bring back what was there before the Brodhead Armory and Gabriel Richard Park:

Now, that would make for a pretty serious "gateway to Belle Isle".

Shame they tore this down too. Thanks Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    We should bring back what was there before the Brodhead Armory and Gabriel Richard Park:

Now, that would make for a pretty serious "gateway to Belle Isle".

Shame they tore this down too. Thanks Obama.
    Why doesn't Obama like carousels?

Damm you obama!!!!!!!!

I thought it unlikely that scrappers could get into a place as secure as an armory until I remembered they have cutting torches! Doh!

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rodhead-armory

The city has rejected all of the proposals submitted for the armory though it doesn't say how many there were or for what reasons. So there's at least interest in the site, seemingly, though possibly little interest on preserving the armory itself.

Damn you all libtards for the downfall of this Christian country! This country was founded on religious values.
    Like slavery, conscripted labor, and Royal ferver.

Obama - "We only have one planet ,there is no plan B.

Don't know what the three development plans were, but residential and retail should be attempted there. Unforturnately, the majority of the building may have to be torn down to make that happen. I would actually like to see the entire front 1/3 of the facade preserved and new development build from the inside up. Residential that close to Gabriel Richard Park and the RiverWalk would be ideal. Well, my two cents.

Three strikes and you're out. Let's not keep crying over ancient memories.

Let's tear it down and build a midrise apartment/condo complex. Akin to Waters Edge going up in Harbortown. It is the perfect location.

The Brodhead Assn and Brodhead Armory Preservation Society are passionate to bring the building to life as a cultural landmark in Detroit.

Is there a url for the Brodhead Armory Preservation Society?