Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Keeping Suh is important - but not for the 26 million or so the franchise tag will cost. 16-17 million, yeah.
    I couldn't agree more [[damn, we're a bright community here at times!). He's worth some premium money but not a franchise tag cash.

Also Raiola's gone for a game. No shock to me. First thing he needs to do is apologize to his teammates for being a dumbass. His team needed him and he effectively took his ass out. He should be thankful it's not for two games + cash. It's selfish and uncalled for. I can't explain it nor should any of us fans embrace or defend his stupidity.

It is a back-handed compliment to this team that they can continue to make so many ADD bone-headed screw ups -- and still manage to somehow win. Imagine what they could be with discipline. But Riaolo? Really? A touted veteran team leader playing the fool? What if he had inflicted a career-ending injury to the rookie Ego Ferguson? I have looked at that video a few times and I cannot see how that could possibly be un-intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Spot on!

Stafford's lack of escapability could be helped with a quicker release. I just never understood why Lombardi doesn't utilize Stafford's snappier release. Why not mix it up with quick short tosses the way New England did with us? It's always been the formula for slowing down quick rushes. I guess this is also where a serviceable tight end would come in handy.

Upgrading on the O line? Is it time for Raiola to finally hang it up? And is there someone to replace Rob Sims in the wings? I know we were hit with a handful of injuries on the right side of the line but wasn't this the group that was semi-brilliant the year before? Wasn't this group the pleasant surprise of last year?

And keeping Suh? I couldn't agree more but not sure how that's going to shake down. I like the guy and his game. Beyond those few incidents he's always played hard for us and has been one of the best players around. For all of his baggage, I say he's worth it. Unless we can come up with a way to balance his loss [[three new D-linemen? money for better DBs?) I say we do our best to keep him. His team mates seem to like and respect him so why not keep him?

Caldwell I've been a fan of early on. Just his calm demeanor keeps these guys on focus. He seems to teach his players and respect these guys like men. Schwartz, once he went ape-sh!t lost the respect and control of this team. Hell, just look at Caldwell's discipline regimen- sending CJ Mosley's ass back to Detroit from London, benching Pettigrew, and even benching a bigger cog like Bell for a quarter speaks volumes as to what he demands of these men. He's not all bark and no bite. He holds these guys accountable and isn't afraid to bench players.

I just watched the game on NFL replay and love how Warford gets down field creating havoc. There was a run around left end wherein Warford did a bing bang boom on three guys and then tried to drive the pile forward. Another guard with that kind of energy would be a big upgrade. Raiola "ended" his career with this last stunt, so we will probably see Swanson at center, next year. Tackle can probably soldier on. Our starting right tackle became out for the season in the first game. Waddle, although injury prone, is the back up. Lucas has shown he is more adept at left tackle, thus providing a back up for Reiff, who is having an ok year. "The stomper" is rated third from last at center, this year. So we are not losing much.

So a mauler guard needs to be a top priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    It is a back-handed compliment to this team that they can continue to make so many ADD bone-headed screw ups -- and still manage to somehow win. Imagine what they could be with discipline. But Riaolo? Really? A touted veteran team leader playing the fool? What if he had inflicted a career-ending injury to the rookie Ego Ferguson? I have looked at that video a few times and I cannot see how that could possibly be un-intentional.

I think he might be developing mental problems. His play has slid markedly, so he knows the end of his career is at hand. Depression??

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    I think he might be developing mental problems. His play has slid markedly, so he knows the end of his career is at hand. Depression??
    After playing for 14+ years in the NFL trenches as a supposedly undersized center, I'm sure he's had his coconut rattled a few times. I don't know if he's got classic clinical mental disorders other than being somewhat of a prick.

I know in football one has to play with a bit of an edge. I get it, but the smart ones know when the whistle blows and reality sets in. Obviously he hears a different whistle in his head. I respect the work he's done but come pretty close to despising some of his antics. Going after a guy's knees on a kneel down play is about as classless as it gets. Stepping on this guy's ankle is equally as classless. I can almost forgive some of the harder plays where it straddles the edge of hard play but these acts are deliberate attempts to injure and possibly end someone's career. There's NO place in this league for someone who doesn't have that sort of respect. I'd bet he'd be the first one bitching if someone like that took a cheap shot at his livelihood.

Years ago he also flipped the bird at the fans… yeah, those of us that want them to be better. He just doesn't get that either. When we fans want them to do well [[and we all do) and they fail, we tend to boo. The more vocal ones will probably say a few idiotic things to them as well. I'm sure a few of them crossed the line with regards to taste BUT as a professional athlete- and dare I use the term, entertainer- they have to be able to take the bad criticism if their performances suck. It comes with the territory. Don't like it, Dom? Retire already. I don't think anyone can blame you for being part of some pretty sub-standard football in these parts. But at least leave with some measure of personal pride and dignity. Flipping the bird off to us fans is just wrong, wrong, and wrong. The flip side of the coin [[no pun intended) is that no one cares. No one would come cheer for this franchise. None of the fans would show up and help pay the team salary. Alienating fans is not the way to go ever for professional athletes.

I tolerate the guy playing for us because he sports the Lions colors, but that's about it. What he does between the whistles I have to respect. Some of the antics he does afterwards have been pretty pathetic. Obviously a lot of the fans and the NFL brass have agreed and he sits a game and loses a chunk of his salary.

And maybe this is the best thing for the Lions now. Let's see what Swanson can do at center. Maybe that young man steps up and takes Dom's place- not just temporarily, but for good. He's a natural center and I can only wish the best for the young man as Raiola slowly starts to fade into the sunset.

"The stomper" is rated third from last at center, this year. So we are not losing much.
    We gain some salary space to re-sign Suh or go after other players who know how to play the game and behave after the whistles blow. Addition by subtraction here.

We gain some salary space to re-sign Suh or go after other players who know how to play the game and behave after the whistles blow. Addition by subtraction here.

In the Chicago game, there was a play where he whiffed and and interior defensive lineman drilled Stafford. Also, a lot of run plays have no surge up the center and the backs are bouncing outside. He does ok, if he gets and angle on a block. But this team needs some push. And Swanson, from what I saw, has more down-the-field energy during a play, not after the whistle. So I would like to see Sims and "the stomper" upgraded. That would give the Lions a young offensive line. At right tackle, I am willing to stay pat and pray. Rieff and Warford are keepers.

And this years draft?

Ebron - not much, so far.

Van Noy - ????

In the Chicago game, there was a play where he whiffed and and interior defensive lineman drilled Stafford. Also, a lot of run plays have no surge up the center and the backs are bouncing outside. He does ok, if he gets and angle on a block. But this team needs some push. And Swanson, from what I saw, has more down-the-field energy during a play, not after the whistle. So I would like to see Sims and "the stomper" upgraded. That would give the Lions a young offensive line. At right tackle, I am willing to stay pat and pray. Rieff and Warford are keepers.

And this years draft?

Van Noy - ????
    I wouldn't say the 2014 draft year is a bust but none of them have really proven a whole helluva lot.

-Eric Ebron, for as high as he was drafted I expected a lot more. 23 total receptions so far for a total of 210 yards? One measly touchdown? I dunno- maybe it's me but as a fan I guess I expect my first rounders to be starting and be able to make an immediate impact.

-Kyle Van Noy still might be able to contribute. I'd consider him incomplete not just because of injuries but he's also got some decent talent ahead of him even with the loss of Tulloch. But again, not much immediate contribution.

-Travis Swanson- we can only hope he steps in and becomes an immediate stud on the line. He's probably played the most of any of this draft pick so far due to injuries.

-Nevin Lawson- injured Reserve
    -Larry Webster- he's been a warm body and has filled in but no impact.
    -Caraun Reid- got some stats in the Jets & Pats game but minor.
    -TJ Jones- PUP
    -Nate Freese- no info on the guy at all. Sorry.

It really makes me appreciate the guys we do have on the team now in a VERY left handed way. We've succeeded in miraculous ways despite not being able to replenish through the draft this year. Props to Mayhew for acquiring some stud free agents but to build from within? Not so good so far.

Raiola has a new name, just call him "Dumb Dom"

Why is Raiola even appealing the suspension? Why not take it like a man, accept the consequences for his dumbass actions, sit, heal, and prep for the playoffs?

I think he's lucky he only got a one game suspension as opposed to a two gamer.

And maybe this is the best thing for the Lions now. Let's see what Swanson can do at center. Maybe that young man steps up and takes Dom's place- not just temporarily, but for good. He's a natural center and I can only wish the best for the young man as Raiola slowly starts to fade into the sunset.
    Raiola's so gone at the end of this season. If he's played his game as a Lion I'm fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
    Raiola's so gone at the end of this season. If he's played his game as a Lion I'm fine with that.
    I wish I could as sure as you with Dom taking the final stroll down the Ford Field corridor. I can honestly see him coming back on another MUCH cheaper one year deal- and maybe even starting again. His game has slipped admittedly and his behavior sure as hell doesn't ingratiate himself to any fans, but I think it's going to be contingent on how Swanson plays. If Travis Swanson tacks on some more bulk & muscle, gets a grasp of the line [[he should because he's played center nearly his entire life), and plays well- I can see Dom being shown the door a helluva lot easier.

And if he is gone, I'm more than fine with it as well.

Lions have improved a lot this season, but until we get consistent play from Stafford, better offensive line play and better play calling from Lombardi, we aren't going anywhere. Rodgers on one leg is better than most QB's with two. Next week at Dallas, will be another tough game, they've been playing well. Too many of the same old mistakes [[miscommunication between QB and receivers, holding penalties, and other indiscretions) doomed the Lions today.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-28-14 at 08:03 PM.

Oh special teams, why have you forsaken us now of all times.

Oh special teams, why have you forsaken us now of all times.
    Not to mention, Suh's boneheaded move of stepping on Rodgers calf, not once but twice. It looked intentional to me, hope I'm wrong and he just gets fined, but I expect he might get suspended for next week's game. That's all the media clowns were talking about post game. Dallas was already a tough game going in as well as they are playing, but to possibly be without Suh is a game changer. If they lose, next week might be Suh's last in a Lions jersey, whether he gets suspended or not.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-29-14 at 03:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Not to mention, Suh's boneheaded move of stepping on Rodgers calf, not once but twice. It looked intentional to me, hope I'm wrong and he just gets fined, but I expect he might get suspended for next week's game. That's all the media clowns were talking about post game. Dallas was already a tough game going in as well as they are playing, but to possibly be without Suh is a game changer. If they lose, next week might be Suh's last in a Lions jersey, whether he gets suspended or not.
    I hope that Suh doesn't get suspended as well. He's still a disruptive force without having to resort to those sort of tactics.

What concerning to me is Matthew Stafford's accuracy as of late. A few games ago he was spot-on and the passer we thought he was always capable of being, but earlier he just couldn't find his mark and seemed a tad slow in his reads. I've been a Matthew Stafford supporter and sincerely hopes he finds his touch again. When he's hot he's hot but when he's cold, the offense stalls terribly. For our team's sake he needs to be a lot better next week in Dallas.

Stafford: 0-16 in 6 years on the road vs teams with winning records.......got to go, now [[along with Suh & Raiola)!

Just heard, Suh has been suspended for the playoff game in Dallas.

Just heard, Suh has been suspended for the playoff game in Dallas.
    Just plain stupid and deserved. I don't want to hear anyone on the team, coaches or teammates, defending him.

Given his past history and the Raiola stomp, Suh made a massive mental boner. He is a great player but his self-centered attitude is not amenable to a team game such as football.

So, IMO, he has made the issue of how to keep him a Lion and not break the salary cap bank moot - he is gone.

That said, the best off season strategy will be to use the cap space freed, less Suh's dead money, to shore up an offensive line that is "offensive".

And draft a defensive tackle to fill the void. Maybe switch to a 3-4 defense.

And this years draft?

Van Noy - ????

Lions should be kicking their selves for not drafting Odell Beckham Jr. He only has played in 12 games and has 91 rec, 1,305 yds, and 12 TD's, and he was taken by the Giants, 3 slots after Ebron at 13. But it really doesn't matter, when you don't have anyone to get him the ball....

Lions should be kicking their selves for not drafting Odell Beckham Jr. He only has played in 12 games and has 91 rec, 1,305 yds, and 12 TD's, and he was taken by the Giants, 3 slots after Ebron at 13. But it really doesn't matter, when you don't have anyone to get him the ball....

I wanted them to pick Taylor Lewan.

I wanted them to pick Taylor Lewan.
    That would have been a good pick also. The offensive line needs to be re-worked. Stafford has been sacked 43 times this season. Last year, they were one of the least sacked teams.

Given his past history and the Raiola stomp, Suh made a massive mental boner. He is a great player but his self-centered attitude is not amenable to a team game such as football.

So, IMO, he has made the issue of how to keep him a Lion and not break the salary cap bank moot - he is gone.

That said, the best off season strategy will be to use the cap space freed, less Suh's dead money, to shore up an offensive line that is "offensive".

And draft a defensive tackle to fill the void. Maybe switch to a 3-4 defense.
    He is a free agent after Super Bowl. If there is a upside to losing him and getting nothing for him it is that there is no dead money.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Just plain stupid and deserved. I don't want to hear anyone on the team, coaches or teammates, defending him.
    Agree. Suh has let his team down a critical time. Frankly I hope they get rid of him. He is great but not a team player. They can buy a lot of talent for what they would pay for his unruly foolishness.

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast