Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Detroit's path to being the next Silicon Valley is to do all in its power to have the next big thing get created in Detroit. The way to do this is to create an environment to help out promising startups in all the ways that the city possibly can. Get all of the deep pockets in the region together to create capital funds focused on companies based in Detroit. Get the deep pocketed companies in the region to fund open and low cost work spaces.
    Thank you for actually proposing a specific viable course of action to improve the Detroit area economy and attractiveness , unlike the Atlanta 313WX, who only denigrates, denigrates, and denigrates, and who is negative in every single post.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Que?

San Francisco

Average Yearly Rainfall = 23.65"
    Percent Possible Sunshine = 69
    Mean Monthly Sunshine Hours = 3,062

Detroit

Average Yearly Rainfall = 33.47"
    Percent Possible Sunshine = 55
    Mean Monthly Sunshine Hours =2,436
    Do you have stats on how much shit each city has on its streets?

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Do you have stats on how much shit each city has on its streets?
    What does that have to do with the difference in weather between SF and Detroit?

What does that have to do with the difference in weather between SF and Detroit?
    Nothing but while we’re shitting on cities....

It’s an empirical fact: San Francisco is a crappier place to live these days. Sightings of human feces on the sidewalks are now a regular occurrence; over the past 10 years, complaints about human waste have increased 400%.
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...y-homelessness

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Nothing
    Oh, ok.

What a weird thing to ask.

Silicon Valley ended up where it is because Stanford is there. It has only been in the past decade or so that tech has meaningfully spilled out of the Valley and gone into San Francisco.

Another "talent recruiting" factor has to do with the pervading culture. For decades, the Bay Area & SoCal have historically been welcoming to both domestic and international immigrants. Along with fellow "gateway" cities like NYC, London, Miami, Toronto, etc. people around the world know most urban centers in CA offer a place where newcomers have an opportunity to experience the best of both worlds. Since virtually every culture is represented, they can find a sense of of community by connecting with like-minded people [[and food!) from the same corner of the world as "home", while simultaneoulsy interacting with others from an entirely different culture.

Like academia, this environment fosters thought-exchange, creativity, entrepreneurship, and innovation.

When people take the plunge to relocate [[especially from outside the US), they want to feel welcome--not ostracized, marginalized, and viewed with suspicion. This is a "chicken-or-egg" situation. The open culture inspires the innovation--and the innovation inspires the open culture.

Oh, ok.

What a weird thing to ask.
    Not sure if it's common knowledge yet, but San Francisco's quality of life has taken a big hit in recent years, and it's beginning to show. Needles and human feces all over the place. Not sure how or if this will impact SF's desirability as a business center and tourist hub.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    Not sure if it's common knowledge yet, but San Francisco's quality of life has taken a big hit in recent years, and it's beginning to show. Needles and human feces all over the place. Not sure how or if this will impact SF's desirability as a business center and tourist hub.
    Time will tell.

No place is perfect and people have different tolerances for things. Maybe the positive of SF outweighs its imperfections.

The Tenderloin has long been San Francisco's vice containment area, where things are allowed that are not permitted anywhere else. I don't think it's any worse today than it was in years past. In fact, it's getting much better, with soaring real estate prices, nearby tech companies, and more and more trendy bars, restaurants, and shops. The main difference seems to be tourists used to avoid the area, and now they don't, and so they see that which was always there.

313WX, ever since you moved away to Atlanta you seem to relish posting negative opinions about Detroit, and positive opinions about the South, or just about anywhere else. Congratulations if moving was the right decision for you. And many of your criticisms are valid. But it sure gets tiresome how often you seem to be trying to justify your decision on this forum. Are you sure you're not overcompensating for something?

Please don't take offense.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    313WX, ever since you moved away to Atlanta you seem to relish posting negative opinions about Detroit, and positive opinions about the South, or just about anywhere else...And many of your criticisms are valid...
    I don't see it that way.

The fact that I'm offering criticism at all means I still care about Detroit and Michigan. I really do want better for it, yet I can't help but voice frustration when I see other places doing everything boosters claim Detroit/Michigan is *trying* to do, except so much better/faster and Detroit/Michigan fails to emulate what those places are doing to become the attractive places they are to live/work/play.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    313WX, ever since you moved away to Atlanta you seem to relish posting negative opinions about Detroit, and positive opinions about the South, or just about anywhere else. Congratulations if moving was the right decision for you. And many of your criticisms are valid. But it sure gets tiresome how often you seem to be trying to justify your decision on this forum. Are you sure you're not overcompensating for something?

Please don't take offense.
    Detroit and Michigan are both living in his mind rent free. It's beyond obsessive and sad, glad I'm not him.
    Last edited by Worldsgreatest; December-06-18 at 05:30 PM.

Detroit is not the next silicon valley. There are a lot of engineering jobs for the automakers. And that's about it. Google/Twitter/etc have some ad sales staff here. Those are tech jobs in the same way that being an accountant for Burger King is a culinary job.

Sure, there are some tech jobs here, but there are tech jobs EVERYWHERE. Pretty soon, we will stop calling them tech jobs and start calling them jobs, because guess what, every single business in the world uses technology.

If you're a software/hardware engineer, Detroit is not a great place to be. There are lots of better options, even in the midwest.

You do realize that the same things exist in Detroit, right?

It probably isn't "big news" because the non-poor aren't exactly walking such Detroit streets, and no one would find it newsworthy that Detroit streets are dirty.

SF has had bums and street crap forever, BTW. It's actually much less sketchy than 20 years ago. And SF is more desirable than ever.

There are no needles or feces anywhere in central Detroit, that's completely fake news and alternative facts. Also the city's homeless population is likely the lowest in the country, and you best believe "non-poor" are walking the streets.

Kind of relevant here since it proves that the rental market in Detroit is getting stronger. Sure it’s outpacing income but I see it as a leading indicator of growth, not regression.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2018/12/6...gest-increases

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    ...Also the city's homeless population is likely the lowest in the country...
    Can you pleaae provide a source to back up your claim?

For what it's worth, homeless people seem far more visible in SF than in Detroit. But not sure if that says about Detroit what some people think it might. If Detroit had better public services, better public spaces, better public transit, more pedestrian activity, etc., then I'm sure there would be more homeless visibility, as is the case in pretty much every major city that does well in those categories.

For what it's worth, homeless people seem far more visible in SF than in Detroit. But not sure if that says about Detroit what some people think it might. If Detroit had better public services, better public spaces, better public transit, more pedestrian activity, etc., then I'm sure there would be more homeless visibility, as is the case in pretty much every major city that does well in those categories.
    This is all completely made up fan-fiction nonsense. it's not visibility. Detroit's homeless population is in fact very small and they're almost all sheltered.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...for-third-year

I'm not sure where you get off accusing the city of not having good public services since it's the success of the public initiative to help homeless in the city that is responsible for the population being so low and rapidly declining every year. Incompetent, expensive and corrupt cities like San Francisco struggle, not surprising.

Detroit has great public spaces, more nonsense.

Incompetent, expensive and corrupt cities like San Francisco struggle, not surprising.
    Good to know that all those McNamara, Kwame, and CAY associates just magically disappeared!

This is all completely made up fan-fiction nonsense. it's not visibility. Detroit's homeless population is in fact very small and they're almost all sheltered.
    Not sure why you think my statement is in disagreement with that.

I'm not sure where you get off accusing the city of not having good public services since it's the success of the public initiative to help homeless in the city that is responsible for the population being so low and rapidly declining every year. Incompetent, expensive and corrupt cities like San Francisco struggle, not surprising.

Detroit has great public spaces, more nonsense.
    You really need to get out more if you think Detroit has great public spaces.

I've visited/lived in cities all over east and west. Campus Martius, Grand Circus Park, Capital Park etc. all great public spaces that most cities don't have.

The reality is homelessness is not really a problem for Detroit and Detroit streets are very clean, the haters can get over this massive blow.

...Also the city's homeless population is likely the lowest in the country...
    ^^^I pulled the actual raw data from 2017 to back up the ridiculous claim by the above poster and of course, it's bullshit.

In reality, Detroit is solidly in the middle when it comes to its homeless population in absolute numbers. And to be completely fair, I narrowed the list to only the top 50 major cities [[just as HUD does when presenting their annual report to Congress).

1. Virginia Beach CoC 349
    2. Raleigh/Wake County CoC 884
    3. Milwaukee City & County CoC 900
    4. Louisville/Jefferson County CoC 1,034
    5. Tulsa City & County/Broken Arrow CoC 1,074
    6. El Paso City & County CoC 1,193
    7. New Orleans/Jefferson Parish CoC 1,301
    8. Albuquerque CoC 1,318
    9. Oklahoma City CoC 1,368
    10. Omaha/Council Bluffs CoC 1,389
    11. Colorado Springs/El Paso County CoC 1,415
    12. Memphis/Shelby County CoC 1,426
    13. Charlotte/Mecklenberg CoC 1,476
    14. Tucson/Pima County CoC 1,574
    15. Kansas City, Independence, Lee’s 16. Summit/Jackson, Wyandotte Counties, MO & KS 1,671
    16. Columbus/Franklin County CoC 1,691
    17. Indianapolis CoC 1,783
    18. Long Beach CoC 1,863
    19. Jacksonville-Duval, Clay Counties CoC 1,869
    20. Fort Worth/Arlington/Tarrant County CoC 1,941
    21. Fresno/Madera County CoC 2,016
    22. Austin/Travis County CoC 2,036
    23. Detroit CoC 2,078
    24. Nashville/Davidson County CoC 2,337
    25. Baltimore City CoC 2,669

The full list/breakdown was pulled from the spreadsheet in the link below titled "2007 - 2017 PIT Counts By COCs"

https://www.hudexchange.info/resourc...ta-since-2007/

It's ok to be passionate about boosting your city, but if you must make up facts to do so, you lose credibility.

Campus Martius, Grand Circus Park, Capital Park etc. all great public spaces that most cities don't have.
    LMAO!!! I repeat...

"It's ok to be passionate about boosting your city, but if you must make up facts to do so, you lose credibility."

I can't think of a major US city [[let alone the world) that doesn't have "great public spaces" [[whatever that's supposed to mean).

2,078?

Is that some kind of per capita figure? Certainly there are more than 2,100 homeless people in Detroit. I might believe 21,000. Or don't they count those squatting in shelled out remnants of what used to be homes?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast