Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Don't let the bastards grind you down

I lurk more often than I post, but I have a wish and piece of advice to throw out to you all...

Trolls like this "new" guy eastside... will try to bait you in with trash talk so they can sit back and watch people step in the steaming pile of excrement they dropped on our front porch.

Don't give in to temptation. If you say nothing, the thread will die and the weasel hiding behind a fake identity was ignored by the grownups while he kicked and screamed like a child throwing a temper tantrum.

I love my city and see the changes over the past few years and think let's keep this train rolling. We don't need to be baited into such crap.

Lowell, I know this isn't technically a Detroit discussion thread, but please let it live here for a while.

Don't think we haven't dealt with these mainland and other Chinese value trolls before. Buy cheap and sit on it, with no maintenance provided from 6,000 miles away.

Others looked for their term paper sources for an "Easy A"

Just be vigilant, and question everybody.

Thanks for the reminder.
    Last edited by Bigb23; November-06-17 at 10:00 AM.

If you say nothing, the thread will die and the weasel hiding behind a fake identity was ignored by the grownups while he kicked and screamed like a child throwing a temper tantrum.
    Let's not forget toilet Twitter feeds. A.M. + B.M.

P.S. I don't tweet to millions from my Presidential throne. [[Smithsonian bound?.) Just DeroitYes on occasion. [[Not on a Throne).
    Last edited by Bigb23; November-06-17 at 09:54 AM.

I hear ya. Just don't like to see a-holes get more attention than they deserve.

There's always the other tactic of bumping up more relevant threads until the troll disappears on the next page.

Sorry but this thread is not about Detroit, per se, so it belongs in the Connections forum, which covers discussions about the forum.

I am not sure of whom you write, but every post on this form as a "Report Post" icon on in the row of icons under each [triangle with ! point] that allows members to silently report infractions of our rules.

As our goal is civil discourse and, relative to the rest of the internet I think you are a shining example, we take seriously all reports and reply with our decision to the reporting member usually within 24 hours.

We try allow the broadest range of opinion and this forum welcomes all, right, left or center, and has outstanding members from each of those viewpoints.

We do not tolerate personal attacks, hate speech or blatant trolling.

Regarding "Chinese trolling', we scan every new registrant by cross checking IP addresses and other methods. Most usually trip up on the 'tell us something unique to Detroit' question but, from time to time, a few get through, pitch their product or create their havoc. They are usually quickly reported and dealt with.

Thanks in advance to all for your vigilance and keeping our discourse civil and informative!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Sorry but this thread is not about Detroit, per se, so it belongs in the Connections forum, which covers discussions about the forum.

I am not sure of whom you write, but every post on this form as a "Report Post" icon on in the row of icons under each [triangle with ! point] that allows members to silently report infractions of our rules.

As our goal is civil discourse and, relative to the rest of the internet I think you are a shining example, we take seriously all reports and reply with our decision to the reporting member usually within 24 hours.

We try allow the broadest range of opinion and this forum welcomes all, right, left or center, and has outstanding members from each of those viewpoints.
    I figured you'd be moving it along, just wanted to be sure to catch the attention of the peeps who are responding to Eastside...'s thread. He is technically not violating any of the forum rules and he has as right to his opinion, but I think someone who claims to be from Jersey City, who's first post is calling out Dan Gilbert the way he did seems rather fishy.

He goes above and beyond to use respectful language, but his message is trolling for a reaction and I'm sorry to see people jump to respond. My message is if you don't feed the trolls, the thread dies and legit discourse can flourish.

I enjoy the lively discussions on this board so I will continue to stick around.

This looks like an appropriate time to remind folks of the ignore feature here.

You can go to a user's profile and add them to your ignore list. It won't silence them but at least you won't have to read their posts.

Better yet, just don't read their posts. They're usually illegible anyway.
    Last edited by Jimaz; November-06-17 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Regarding "Chinese trolling', we scan every new registrant by cross checking IP addresses and other methods. Most usually trip up on the 'tell us something unique to Detroit' question but, from time to time, a few get through, pitch their product or create their havoc. They are usually quickly reported and dealt with.

Thanks in advance to all for your vigilance and keeping our discourse civil and informative!
    No Russian trolling ? I am shocked .

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    No Russian trolling ? I am shocked .
    Actually we get a lot registration phishy attempts from Russia, along with Vietnam and South Asia.

I thought that thread got amusing with the comments on the wall of graffiti...

Whew-had to do a bit of research here.

I thought you were miffed at EastsideAl [[a reliable, old time poster), and found there is this actual new account going by "Eastside..."-which I hope this is not someone trying to shadow [[or I forget what the term is) Al.