Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Mary Barra has had it very easy for much of her tenure as CEO and skated by with mediocrity because she happened to take on the role at a time of historically low oil prices, record auto sales and surging consumer demand for highly profitable SUVs/Trucks.

With oil prices possibly getting ready to surge soon [[thanks to increasing geopolitical instability), a recession on the horizon and growing trade tensions, her "leadership" skills are really being put to the test.

Her recent decisions to completely forego global market share [[putting the long-term health of the company at risk), engage in mass layoffs and the way she's flubbed these UAW negotiations seems to reveal she's not the wonder woman we all thought. Instead, she seems to be quickly turning into a Roger Smith and Robert Stemple.
    Last edited by 313WX; October-12-19 at 08:18 AM.

True. And the Equinox is one of their more noteworthy SUV offerings!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The real cost from an auto strike is the long term cost when a customer can't get the Equinox or other popular model they want with certain features, color, etc. and then chooses to buy a competing brand. Although brand loyalty is not what it was in the past, you may have lost that customer for now and in the future.

UAW statement on GM strike: 'Stop playing games at expense of workers'

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/uaw-statement-on-gm-strike-stop-playing-games-at-expense-of-workers-

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    UAW statement on GM strike: 'Stop playing games at expense of workers'

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/uaw-statement-on-gm-strike-stop-playing-games-at-expense-of-workers-
    Read the article. Still no idea what 'games' they mean. GM made an offer that had a significant reduction in health. OK. How's that a game. Its an offer. Nobody is forcing you to accept it.

To me, this is just a slogan. 'Stop Playing Games'. Totally devoid of meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Read the article. Still no idea what 'games' they mean. GM made an offer that had a significant reduction in health. OK. How's that a game. Its an offer. Nobody is forcing you to accept it.

To me, this is just a slogan. 'Stop Playing Games'. Totally devoid of meaning.
    It's a tactic. By inferring that GM is playing some kind of "game at the expense of the workers", you're hoping to gather sympathy and support for the strike.

It's truly getting tight!

Now suppliers are starting to lay people off. This has to come to an end.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-15-19 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    It's a tactic. By inferring that GM is playing some kind of "game at the expense of the workers", you're hoping to gather sympathy and support for the strike.
    Tactic [[I suppose) suggests that its tactical. Feels only like a slogan intended for their own to me, not intended to change GM's bargaining behavior.

Regardless of the word choice, it's meaningless.

I also really liked their blaming the financial difficulties placed on workers on GM -- when its the union's decision to strike, not GMs.

Default UAW got a good deal from GM, labor leaders, experts say

Here are manufacturing wins listed in the agreement:

• Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Plant: Electric truck and van assembly, including assembly of battery modules. It is approximately a $3 billion investment and 2,225 new jobs at full volume.
    • Warren Tech Center: A new vehicle program, $200 million investment and retention of approximately 75 jobs.
    • Lansing Delta and Spring Hill, Tennessee, assembly plants: Next generation midsize SUV assembly; $1 billion, 5,000 jobs.
    • $2 billion investment in U.S. plant refurbishment

GM wins

Here's what GM got out of the agreement, labor experts said:

• It keeps the three plants closed.
    • GM has dramatically expanded its Mexican operations over the last five years, giving it a source of low wage advantage. That remains intact.
    • GM overall will be very profitable with this agreement because it retains a highly skilled, productive workforce and still has flexibility left in its plants.

The big wins for the union, according to labor experts:

• Health care: The benefit remains intact with no added costs to workers.
    • Wage increase: The members are guaranteed a 3% wage increase and 4% lump sum increases in alternating years. The ceiling was removed on profit-sharing too.
    • Temps and in-progression workers: There is a pathway for temps to become permanent workers and for newer hires to reach a full wage in a faster time. That top wage was increased to $32.32 per hour, as well.
    • Detroit-Hamtramck: Labor experts said this plant, site of the once-revolutionary but ultimately underselling Chevrolet Volt, should have idled as was planned. “That plant is sort of lucky it survived through the last contract," said U-M's Gordon. "The union did just fine.”
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ct/4021064002/

^^ Also, that $11,000.00 signing bonus upon ratification [[$4,500.00 for the temps), after lost wages during the strike, will get most to approve the agreement. I don't see it being rejected.

Do I read correctly that the GM-UAW deal not only keeps open the Detroit/Hamtramck Assembly Plant [[aka Poletown), but gives it a new electric truck line to produce? This would be a major win for Detroit [[and Hamtramck) compared to a shut-down.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Do I read correctly that the GM-UAW deal not only keeps open the Detroit/Hamtramck Assembly Plant [[aka Poletown), but gives it a new electric truck line to produce? This would be a major win for Detroit [[and Hamtramck) compared to a shut-down.

You read it right. Lordstown and Warren Transmission will remain closed.

Strike is officially over. Seems like all parties got something of what they wanted. I'm just glad the Hamtramck plant gets to go on. Detroit won.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    Strike is officially over. Seems like all parties got something of what they wanted. I'm just glad the Hamtramck plant gets to go on. Detroit won.
    Was really surprised at how many voted it down. 43% voted against the deal and 7,000 didn't even bother to vote. I guess a lot of them weren't hurting that badly with the lost pay. Not sure what more these people were expecting to get.

^ they knew the writing was on the wall in the 70s

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K7tzuZQ24TE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3