Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I am getting used to the idea that when you use a statistic, chances are there is something wrong with it, assuming you haven't made it up. In this case, you didn't make it up, but you didn't understand it. That 56% number is the percentage of people migrating from Michigan to Illinois who move to Cook County, which is plausible. It is not the percentage of people moving to Cook County who are from Michigan, which is not.
    But you see, statistics. 83% of 22-32 year olds believe Midtown is a cesspool of poor, illiterate people who just can't lift themselves up wtih their own bootstraps. 94% of those poor, illiterate people are also working at the local McDonalds and out of that 94%, 96% of the 94% live in terrible conditions, almost squalor, because they just can't read.

I can keep going down this wormhole, but its giving me a headache. Lots of statistics are bullstuff, and I can say that I know plenty of people who want to be in the City of Detroit. When I mentioned that we had a room for rent, I had a handful of my friends who were upset that they had just signed a lease, or couldn't sign with us for whatever reasons. Its the same everywhere I go, people want to be in Detroit, and those who don't want to live there still spend a considerable chunk of time being in the city. That is how things are. They are changing, 48009, and not in the way you want to acknowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by 48009 View Post
    False. There are plenty of J-O-B-S in North Dakota, nobody I know lives there.
    Well, then! There must be nobody working there at all. Wait a second...have you ever been to North Dakota? How can you even be sure it exists? It's a conspiracy!

I know a black person so I can't be racist.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Well, then! There must be nobody working there at all. Wait a second...have you ever been to North Dakota? How can you even be sure it exists? It's a conspiracy!

I know a black person so I can't be racist.
    Most talented people don't want to live in the middle of nowhere, just like most talented people I know don't want to live in America's most dysfunctional major city. You know why? BECAUSE THEY HAVE BETTER OPTIONS. You know who will? Generally people without better options. That's life.
    Last edited by 48009; September-17-13 at 09:26 AM.

Most talented people don't want to live in the middle of nowhere, just like most talented people I know don't want to live in America's most dysfunctional major city. You know who will? Desperate people with no options.
    Despite all evidence that's contrary to this ignorant belief and first-hand accounts from people replying to you in this very thread.

If it wasn't so poorly done, I would admire your willingness to ignore facts and contrary replies in the name of hard trolling.

48009, may I suggest you create a new login and start over.

I saw that, but I just posted where I got it. Honestly, does it really matter? It's not some secret that Michigan kids get their college diploma and immediately get 1-way tickets out of state. Detroiters clinging to the dumbest data. 200 people a year moved here! Great, let's just ignore that you and Flint are the biggest tragedies in the nation.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Because my 3 month reputation here will make it hard to prosper on this forum? Yet the city of Detroit has a 50 year reputation and y'all expect college educated kids to overlook it and sacrifice their life jumping into this mess. Ha.

48009 Guest

There are plenty of jobs avail for my demo in Metro Detroit NOW, and we're all turning them down because you literally can't pay most of us enough to spend our 20's here. http://www.freep.com/article/2013091...l-assault-rape
    More of you need to understand this. It's an absolute reality.

No one denies the brain drain that has been happening. We just want you to realize that some young adults with brains and money prefer to stay here and are perfectly happy here and wish you would quit harassing them, myself included.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; September-17-13 at 11:08 AM.

Most talented people don't want to live in the middle of nowhere, just like most talented people I know don't want to live in America's most dysfunctional major city. You know why? BECAUSE THEY HAVE BETTER OPTIONS. You know who will? Generally people without better options. That's life.
    Wow, you have probably never been to White Sands Missile Range, Kwajalein Atoll Missile Range, Sandia Base, Yuma Proving Ground, or any of the other scientific and research facilities out in the middle of nowhere which attract some very bright scientists and engineers. I guess they don't attract the "arts, music, and culture" crowd which you equate with intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post

OKAY, keep rolling!

Let's do it again. Quiet on set folks. Let's keep it tight.

Now 48009, start from the top please, and give a little more emotion this time.

Action!

Thanks for posting Spartan. I live in 1300 Lafayette and in the last year I've seen several younger kids move into our building and they are buying them since we don't allow renters. If you look at the occupancy rate of apartments in downtown Detroit they are filled. Why wouldn't someone young want to live downtown?

Wow, you have probably never been to White Sands Missile Range, Kwajalein Atoll Missile Range, Sandia Base, Yuma Proving Ground, or any of the other scientific and research facilities out in the middle of nowhere which attract some very bright scientists and engineers. I guess they don't attract the "arts, music, and culture" crowd which you equate with intellect.

That's such a unique industry. There's not much correlation between big government defense ops and the Detroit job market. Yeah, we have some job openings, but we're on the bottom end of the spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    That's such a unique industry. There's not much correlation between big government defense ops and the Detroit job market. Yeah, we have some job openings, but we're on the bottom end of the spectrum.[/COLOR]
    My point was that if you pay enough and have challenging and interesting work, you can get people to go anywhere [[people become flexible when exposed to the pure green heat of money).

For the right job [[and compensation), I would move into the city and work there. I surely would not do it to work for Quicken Loans. Well, that is a bit of hyperbole since I am 74 years old and in a comfortable retirement. 20-25 years ago you could have enticed me into it for the right job and money.

Because my 3 month reputation here will make it hard to prosper on this forum? Yet the city of Detroit has a 50 year reputation and y'all expect college educated kids to overlook it and sacrifice their life jumping into this mess. Ha.
    What makes you think anyone is "expecting" this?

Most have just said it is, in fact, happening...regardless of your denials or our expectations.

How often do you visit Detroit, and what is it that you usually visit Detroit for? These are VERY relevant questions considering the questions and statements at hand. Please don't flip out on me, and just answer the question earnestly.

you literally can't pay most of us enough to spend our 20's here.
    Excuse me for being hyper-literal to your literal post, but Chicago literally cannot pay most of them to spend their 20's there, either.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinmotown View Post
    Why wouldn't someone young want to live downtown?
    Most Michigan graduates are asking themselves "Do I want to live in Michigan?" And as of late, the answer at the top universities is more often than not no. Or, "If I want to live in a large city, why would I choose the most dangerous and illiterate one in the nation?"

"If I want to live in a large city, why would I choose the most dangerous and illiterate one in the nation?"
    See, THAT is a great question. But if you were listening, you would know that it has already been answered multiple times. And your original question too, because IT IS A GOOD QUESTION. It evokes many varied and interesting responses. I would love to add my own experience of moving to Detroit when I was 24. But I will not, because as we all know now, you never intended for your questions to be answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    One time, I had an interview with an inventor who had worked at Sandia Labs. He developed a one billion gigahertz pulse {part of the Star Wars laser projects under Reagan} generator that he used as the heart of a novel form of detection in baseband radar. He used a range gated comb filter to ride the correlation spike above the noise floor. The damn thing he showed me had a paper clip for an antenna and was powered by a 9 Volt battery. Conventional baseband must generate a huge impulse that cause interference across the radio spectrum. For example, a lightning strike is an example of a baseband pulse and the crackle one hears on AM is the interference. Anyhow, because this guy was comb filtering a billion little pulses, his device could be licensed for public use. What struck me about him was that he could take a pen and draw voltage, time and frequency graphs for every step of every drawing that I introduced as evidence. There are producers and parasites, I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    One time, I had an interview with an inventor who had worked at Sandia Labs. He developed a one billion gigahertz pulse {part of the Star Wars laser projects under Reagan} generator that he used as the heart of a novel form of detection in baseband radar. He used a range gated comb filter to ride the correlation spike above the noise floor. The damn thing he showed me had a paper clip for an antenna and was powered by a 9 Volt battery. Conventional baseband must generate a huge impulse that cause interference across the radio spectrum. For example, a lightning strike is an example of a baseband pulse and the crackle one hears on AM is the interference. Anyhow, because this guy was comb filtering a billion little pulses, his device could be licensed for public use. What struck me about him was that he could take a pen and draw voltage, time and frequency graphs for every step of every drawing that I introduced as evidence. There are producers and parasites, I guess

A most pleasurable if opaque post.

Well, I am certainly amused. Special thanks to Noise I need all the laughs I can get. Very witty riparte.

Hey, don't give all the credit to the young, us old farts with options, choose to live here too. Guess our BA's and MBA's from WSU don't count. Just a no account Urban University that admits folks who don't read or write.

No Sumas... unless you're in the 22-26 range you don't count...

Although methinks that the trivium and quadrivium in our time [[heh-heh)... would be very appropriate if actually applied here in this thread...

"In medieval universities the Trivium combined with the Quadrivium comprised the seven liberal arts. This teaching method is based on a curriculum outlined by Plato. One of the key intentions behind applying the Trivium and the Quadrivium is to distinguish between reality and fiction. By training the mind how to think - instead of what to think - this method provides a teaching of the art and the science of the mind as well as the art of the science of matter."
    Last edited by Gistok; September-17-13 at 07:31 PM.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    ...WSU don't count. Just a no account Urban University that admits folks who don't read or write.
    I mean that is a pretty accurate statement. With that said, it's far from the only school in the state that's stealing $400 an hour from students who shouldn't be at a university. Just read any paper and see the RECORD enrollment at all of the universities right now. They all know the gravy train could end soon so the cash grab, i.e., anyone with a pulse can enroll, is out of control. No surprise that with record enrollment comes huge construction projects.

As for what a Wayne undergrad degree is worth; well, tell me what companies recruit there? Of course there are exceptions, but we all know the truth.
    Last edited by 48009; September-17-13 at 09:03 PM.

Gistok, I love you too. You are always spot on [[Mary Poppins) quote. I always need a good chuckle or belly laugh and so many on this forum provide that.

I have truly scrolled past most of the venom of the Chicago witch. Did catch the swipe/snipe at our degrees since it was used as a quote in an acknowledged poster whom we respect.

Actually my husband has received the highest honor a graduate can receive from WSU. Of course he had to wipe his nose and get his knuckles off the ground to receive it.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast