Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Himelhoch's

Charles Himelhoch's - Grandson of the founder perhaps?

I always thought it would be fascinating, to have a time machine to go back and speak to someone like Chuck about the year 2010. I would be willing to bet that the reality of 2010 Detroit, would be completely unthinkable or even unimaginable to him. I'm not talking about technology, but more like the entire OBLITERATION of cultures, stories, memories, legacies etc. Sure we "know" about places like Hudson's or Crowley's or MCS or Tiger Stadium and the stories and history's that go along with them, but think of all of the smaller stores, neighborhoods, institutions that are basically wiped from the record of human existence in essentially the course of 30-50 years?

Honestly, Himelhoch's, while not as big as Hudson's, was a decently large institution, multiple locations and world-wide, employing over 70 years, certainly thousands of people, and yet we have an "empty", fairly tall building on Washington Blvd. and a two paragraph google search. The Detroit that I identify with has been OBLITERATED.

Even the thread about the Corridor in the 70's is depressing. It's just another time an place filled with stories of life that has, for all intents and purposes, been eradicated from existence except for a handful of stories told by people who were there.

That would be fine if something was there to take it's place, but for the most part, we're left with nothing. A mammoth void of vacancy and destruction.

"Hey Chuck! Are those plans for expansion you're holding in your hands!? What's that? You're going to open a second downtown location? That's swell buddy...you know the skies the limit here in Detroit! A city of limitless potential and opportunity. Good for you man."

In 1970, who would have thought that Hudson's, Federal's, Ward's, Crowley's, Winkleman's, Himelhoch's and so many others would be gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    In 1970, who would have thought that Hudson's, Federal's, Ward's, Crowley's, Winkleman's, Himelhoch's and so many others would be gone?
    And for the suburbanites: WT Grant, Woolco, Caldor, JM Fields, Mason's, Ames, Zayre

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

Actually the life cycle of many retail chains is pretty short. Some of these were the exception. If you think about it, Federals was only around about 30 years; it was virtually unheard of in 1950 and by 1980 they were kaput.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; January-21-10 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    James Bannon was Chief of Police I recall. His wife's name was Rosemary.
    Jim Bannon was the Executive Deputy Chief of Police, not the Chief. He worked under Bill Hart, who was the chief. Rosemary, his wife, used him as a model in a number of high-society fashion shows for some years. He enjoyed that, greatly. Jim had good rapport with the media, and he got a lot of publicity as a result. In another time, another world, he easily would have become Chief, but the Coal-man was the HNIC and Jim's skin color became a handicap.

Ray, you are telling it like it was for sure. Jim Bannon was a good man and a good cop...but the wrong color at the wrong time in the city. I dare say, many good white officers were passed over for promotion due to "affirmative action." It happened to my dad as well...... studying like crazy for the liutentants and sargeants exam and placing very high on the list, only to be passed over. The good ole days

I'm glad that Himelhoch's survived on Washington Blvd and Woodwood Ave. While otherS chickened out! WAY TO GO HIMELHOCH'S

I am glad that brought back so many memories to everyone. I was 18 at the time and Have the same memories as you guys. I love Detroit Yes!

I just love this discussion, although I'm rather late to the party! I discovered it while in the process of developing a website with my family history and the history of our family store [[Himelhoch's). Just in case any of you revisit this discussion, I'm sharing the website. The content is based on family research conducted by my 99-year-old father back in 1994. Here is the link to the site: http://www.himelhochs.com.

Quote Originally Posted by chimelhoch View Post
    I just love this discussion, although I'm rather late to the party! I discovered it while in the process of developing a website with my family history and the history of our family store [[Himelhoch's). Just in case any of you revisit this discussion, I'm sharing the website. The content is based on family research conducted by my 99-year-old father back in 1994. Here is the link to the site: http://www.himelhochs.com.
    Welcome!

One, if possible change the color scheme on the website. It's a bit hard on the eyes.

Two, I would love to see pictures of the downtown store from back in the day. Outside, inside, whatever.

Also, would you happen to know if Mr. Ford invested in Hudson's so a Jewish department store wouldn't grow in Detroit? Perhaps he was looking at your family?

Thanks for posting!

If I recall, wasn't there a Himelhoch's on the "Avenue Of Fashion" 7 Mile and Livernois? I remember my Mother shopping there. She loved that store !!

This store was luxe! Couldn't afford to buy much here, but LOVED to look!

[[ad from Detroit Free Press, May 14, 1956)
    Name:  Himelhochs Ad - Detroit_Free_Press_Mon__May_14__1956_.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  142.2 KB

Default Thanks for the Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Welcome!

One, if possible change the color scheme on the website. It's a bit hard on the eyes.

Two, I would love to see pictures of the downtown store from back in the day. Outside, inside, whatever.

Also, would you happen to know if Mr. Ford invested in Hudson's so a Jewish department store wouldn't grow in Detroit? Perhaps he was looking at your family?

Thanks for posting!
    Thanks for your warm welcome, and thanks for your feedback on the website! I thought it might be fun to use colors from the former Himelhoch's box on the website, but was also concerned that it could be hard on the eyes. I'm teaching myself about website development, and have much to learn. This will be a work-in-progress.

I don't have old photos in my direct possession. However, I will see what I can find among old photos in storage.

I never heard the story of Mr. Ford and Hudson's. I do know that we were never approached by him.

Thanks again for this converation!

Thanks for your comments, and thanks for the ad! What fun to see fashions from the heyday years.

I'm afraid not. I suspect that Himelhoch's would have done really well on the Avenue of Fashion.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your project.

And, yeah, that candy-cane back ground makes it brutal to read.

A quick fix is to change the body tags from:
    <body bgcolor=#197C background="index_files/image002.gif" lang=EN-US
    link="#0563C1" vlink="#954F72" style='tab-interval:.5in'>

To:
    <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" link="#0563C1" vlink="#954F72">

It will then look like this snip:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 10.09.32 AM.png
Views: 742
Size:  137.6 KB

The culprit is the image image002.gif. If you want to keep it you can create div or table boxes for the text and lay those atop it.

Nonetheless a good and welcome project.

Never shopped at Himelhoch's, but did use it as a pass through to Washington Blvd. and stood in the doorways for the St. Patrick's Day Parade when it was on Woodward.

Default Fixing html code

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your project.

And, yeah, that candy-cane back ground makes it brutal to read.

A quick fix is to change the body tags from:
    <body bgcolor=#197C background="index_files/image002.gif" lang=EN-US
    link="#0563C1" vlink="#954F72" style='tab-interval:.5in'>

To:
    <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" link="#0563C1" vlink="#954F72">

It will then look like this snip:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 10.09.32 AM.png
Views: 742
Size:  137.6 KB

The culprit is the image image002.gif. If you want to keep it you can create div or table boxes for the text and lay those atop it.

Nonetheless a good and welcome project.
    Hi Lowell,
    I can't thank you enough. I was tinkering without success, and then checked this discussion and saw your post. I tried your code and it worked perfectly. Part of my issue is that I wrote the content in Microsoft Word. I loaded it using an ftp program, and there were many issues. Next, I got Notepad++ and worked with the source code. Now that everything is in html, it's difficult to edit without knowing much about html. I look everything up, and thanks to you, I now have the answer.

I made the changes, and am glad to report that the site seems much easier to read. It may not have the fancy pink and white stripes, but that may come later. Regardless, I don't want the stripes to detract from reading the narrative. I realize the content is dense when compared to typical websites.

I don't even understand what you mean by creating div or table boxes, but I'm going to research it shortly.

Thanks again!
    Carol
    Last edited by chimelhoch; September-25-18 at 04:55 PM.

Color scheme is now changed! Thank you.

My mom used to work at Jacobson's before she married my dad in 1955. She said Mrs. Dodge would always ask for her! LOL

Thanks for your comments, and thanks for the ad! What fun to see fashions from the heyday years.
    My pleasure! People dressed beautifully back then. And you could take the bus Downtown for 10 cents!

I'm afraid not. I suspect that Himelhoch's would have done really well on the Avenue of Fashion.
    Thanks for the reply. Maybe it was B Siegel's that I was thinking of.

Kathy, those were the days when salespeople were true professionals.

Reliable and affordable public transportation - love it!

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    This store was luxe! Couldn't afford to buy much here, but LOVED to look!
    Nice ad and fashion drawings!! Mom shopped there - dragged me thru the place many times in the 1950s - remembering the elegant clothes, beautiful shoes.

So nice to see the family survived, and Ms. Himelhoch is doing a website -- important part of Michigan history! Thank you for sharing

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast