Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Library admits plan to close branches based on flawed math

Christine MacDonald / / The Detroit News

Detroit — The Detroit Public Library is preparing to shutter as many as 10 branches and lay off one-third of its workers because of financial projections city officials say were a misunderstanding.

City finance staffers say they told library counterparts in March that 20 percent of the city's property taxes go uncollected.

Library staffers took that to mean property tax revenues would decline 20 percent a year until 2015 and prepared plans for branch closures, which were expected to be considered but those talks were postponed.

"We want to make sure the numbers we put out there are the most accurate," library spokesman A.J. Funchess said this morning.

But Mayor Dave Bing's staff says the library's math is all wrong.

"That is an incorrect assumption based on the numbers the city has presented," said Dan Lijana, a Bing spokesman. "To say city property taxes are going to decline 20 percent is not accurate."

Now, at least two commissioners informed of the mix-up by The Detroit News say they may tweak their controversial downsizing plan. But the system already has notified employees that 111 of 376 staffers will be laid off by June.

Can we please fire someone now? The papers are rife with stories of municipal incompetence. How about a little accountability?

Could managers honestly be this stupid?

The concept in question seems to be extremely basic and integral to rudimentary understanding of budget forecasting.

This is one of the saddest stories I have read in a long time. The incompetence is overwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    This is one of the saddest stories I have read in a long time. The incompetence is overwhelming.
    Yes it is. Fire everyone in charge and start over.

I think most city departments need a thorough housecleaning and a hell of a lot more accountability. This is a great example of that. If you screw up, you should be penalized. If you screw up at this level, you should be out on your ass.

A library insider posted this on the Detroit News Board on February 23.

Sounds like the Library Board hired some great staff! And now we have learned that the Library Board is appointed by the DPS School Board.

Detroit's library system, once so fine and distinguished, now reduced to schemes and scams by the managers for themselves and their families:

A lot had been written during the process period that brought Joan [[Matchie) to Detroit Public Library. Folks at the Flint Library where the DPL new library director came from, they call her an alcoholic and that she is in, "over her head", that she has no vision for DPL and has done nothing for DPL.
    While at Flint Library, they bought her a $40k car which she uses for personal business in total disregard for any rules of ethical code of conduct that governs such.
    Talk about cars, DPL bought like 20 vehicles about three years ago. Three of the trucks have never left the parking lot, and if that isn't part of the waste, I don't know what will.
    On the current HR DIRECTOR - Trinee Moore.
    She came in as a contract worker with an HR company, hired in by Tim Cromer. She quickly soon opened her own fake company and took her employer's contract. Her contract with the library, her new company, was awarded with no bids and she was paid over $200,000 in less than one year.
    She hired her son and daughter who are still working for the DPL library. She engaged another ,"fly by night company"', on an ill conceived project to change the library's payroll system. That company got paid over $1 million for DOING nothing AND PRODUCING NO RESULT " no new payroll system was ever implemented. The records are there for anyone that cares to see. The funny one also is that when one looks at Trinee's written thoughts and her professional work, it makes one wonder whether she even went to school at all.
    The IT company " Cubemation was paid over $3.5 million by the library " there was no bids, the library commission didn't even know that Cubemation were getting paid, and there is nothing to show for their work. Now this is the same cubemation that was being fronted by Tim Cromer. Tim himself was a consultant on IT for the Library before being hired in. Talk about how he sabotages internal IT efforts just so his interested company will maintain its hold on the library. To even make matters worse, Tim Cromer was made in charge of Facilities, Finance and HR departments. It gets even more interesting though because Tim Cromer does not even have a college degree at the time of all of these appointments. So the question is, how was he even qualified to manage the facilities division, the HR, and the Finance departments without a finance degree and know how?
    That is not all folks, there is more. Corporations throughout America does a due diligent work on folks it hires especially in Financial area. There are usually a thorough background check performed on folks, how then can they offer the Finance position to someone with a felonious background, or do they not think that criminal patterns may be repetitious and a natural course? DPL leadership and the Board ought to answer these questions because they are aware of Cubemation, the degree issue and the felony conviction [matter of public record] and yet, they protected their interest and continued business as usual.
    Folks, there are a lot of rot and it is high time these matters are looked at and investigated

Time for wiping the slate clean is long overdue. Send 'em all packing. Stories like these get my blood boiling!!

How difficult is it to fire some of these people?
    Anyone familiar with the process that's involved in tossing them out?

I'd like to leave aside for a moment the question of the honesty of the people involved. This incident indicates a lack of any kind of budgeting procedure.

Under the current circumstances it is understandable that there would be some uncertainty as to exactly what the library budget might be in the future, but you would think the administration would provide some actual preliminary numbers for the library commission to work from. And even if they didn't do that, why would the library folks take some random statement about property tax collections and base their budgeting on it. Someone here has no idea what they are doing.

Based upon the various stories we have been seeing recently, the whole area of budgeting, auditing and getting people into financial positions who are not utterly clueless is one area where I would think an EFM could actually be effective.

I think the whole library system should have it's own tax and be plased under the care and guidance of Wayne State. Let them make the decisions relevant to its running. Educators need to be in charge of this.

I do not think administration is Wayne State's strong point. If the problem is that the library commission is appointed by the Board of Ed [[which seems likely) then that should be changed or probably it would be better just to figure out a better way to staff the Board of Ed.

What the hell is going on? I think the time has come for Bing to take a heavy hand to all this scum bleeding the city dry. Does this city have no system of checks and balances? They never know till its over and millions are missing. AUDIT this city NOW!

From The Detroit News.com this evening:

May 17. 2011 4:27PM Detroit Public Library may close only 6 branches

Christine MacDonald / / The Detroit News

Detroit — The Detroit Public Library has scaled back its branch closure list to six of 23 branches, after The Detroit News reported last week officials based closures on faulty math.

Library Director Jo Anne Mondowney today recommended to a commission committee that officials close the following branches: Bowen, 3648 W. Vernor; Chandler Park, 16101 Grand River; Mark Twain, 4741 Iroquois; Richard, 9876 Grand River; Chase, 17731 W. Seven Mile; and Lincoln, 1221 E. Seven Mile.

Some commissioners said they were skeptical about how the branches were chosen — especially since administrators just recently recommended closing up to 18 branches.

Since then, administrators have repeatedly scaled back the closures.

"My level of confidence in the analysis of the numbers is not where it should be at all," said Commissioner Anthony Adams. "I just don't understand how we got here. We went from 18 to 15 to 10 to six."

Commissioner Greg Hicks agreed, sayingthe numbers "are not making sense to me, they are just simply not."

Commissioners were still weighing the proposal at 3:50 p.m.

The system faces an $11 million shortfall, but library officials based the original closure plan on the mistaken belief property taxes are projected to decline 20 percent a year until 2015.

That was a misunderstanding based on a March conversation with city finances staffers who told library officials that 20 percent of city property taxes go uncollected, The News reported last week.

Library Chief Administrative Officer Tim Cromer said the question is whether the City Hall is being too optimistic in how much they are forecasting will come in.

"You have to question whether it's in the library's best interest to only consider a 5 percent decline [[in property taxes)," Cromer said.

Also uncertain after the numbers mix-up is layoffs. The system already has notified employees that 111 staffers could be out of work by June. That's atop the loss of about 70 employees earlier this year because of layoffs, retirements and vacancies.

The library has been stung with recent accusations of mismanagement and overspending.

Officials are under fire for a $2.3 million renovation of the Main Library's South Wing that includes chairs and trash cans that cost $1,100 apiece; spending $200,000 on a fundraising campaign that only raised $100 and doling out contracts to relatives.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110517/...#ixzz1MfAp1dEj

- - - - - - - -

WHO CHOSE THESE SPECIFIC LIBRARIES?!?!?! Did someone just look at a map and try to space them out evenly throughout the city? Shouldn't someone be on the phone with Bing and his DetroitWorks people to see which neighborhoods will be targeted for redevelopment....and then plan accordingly? For example, I can't believe the Bowen Branch on W. Vernor at W. Grand would be up for closure.....in one of the most stable neighborhoods that actually has a growing population [[ie, Mexicantown). I believe this is also the closest branch to much of Corktown, another stable / recovering neighborhood. DPL should be releasing the criteria it is using to determine these closures. And I can't believe they haven't tried to contact local organizations to see if partnerships can be worked out to keep some of these branches open. HELLO?!

For me it would be sad to see the branch up on Grand River near Greenfield close. This was the first branch that my grandmother worked at when she moved to Detroit in the late 1940s. She met my grandpa in the DPL system in the early 50s and they were married in 1955, and both became carrier librarians, first at DPL and later in Indiana.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...s-amid-layoffs

Illuminating article on the culture of entitlement in the public employee ranks. OOOOh she is a woman and has to drive to lansing so...instead of just expensing her mileage on her own personal car like the rest of the world does, she gets a new Buick with onstar and sirius radio. [[on top of 156k a year.)

any have the over under on an EFM appointment?

I shouldn't be, but I remain amazed at the vulgar "Let them eat Cake" entitlement among many public managers. Have they no shame?

There is no justification for free vehicles for library managers. They can drive their own damn car to Lansing, and bill the miles, like everyone else does in the general workforce. If needed, they can take a city car.

I mean, seriously? They drive to Lansing daily or something? What's the justification for the satellite radio? The Lansing stations aren't adequate for Her Highness?

And why a Buick, with Onstar? If they desperately need wheels, what's wrong with a Focus?

Detroit library heads off closures
    About-face allows branches to remain open, retain staff

Christine MacDonald/ The Detroit News

Detroit — A month ago, Detroit Public Library officials warned finances were so bleak they may have to close up to 18 of its 23 branches and lay off most staffers.

The message today: Never mind.

In a dramatic about-face, the system's Chief Administrative Officer Tim Cromer now says he's going to recommend to library commissioners today that they don't need to lay off any staffers or close any branches this year.

Why the turnaround? More math problems.

Last week, officials scaled back the closure list after The Detroit News pointed out they misinterpreted tax collection estimates.

Now, Cromer acknowledged the library forgot to factor in savings from the loss of 70 staffers to layoffs and retirements this spring.

Continued at: http://detnews.com/article/20110520/...#ixzz1MuSrKdmH

---------------------------------------------------------
    Are you freaking kidding me? They've gone from basically eliminating the vast majority of libraries in the city to not shutting down any over the course of a few weeks. What a joke.

Last edited by begingri; May-20-11 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I shouldn't be, but I remain amazed at the vulgar "Let them eat Cake" entitlement among many public managers. Have they no shame?

There is no justification for free vehicles for library managers. They can drive their own damn car to Lansing, and bill the miles, like everyone else does in the general workforce. If needed, they can take a city car.

I mean, seriously? They drive to Lansing daily or something? What's the justification for the satellite radio? The Lansing stations aren't adequate for Her Highness?

And why a Buick, with Onstar? If they desperately need wheels, what's wrong with a Focus?
    The bolded is SOP in the academic world. As a matter of fact, other than our deans and presidents, we don't have all of our expenses covered for anything. You get a travel allowance, but your actual expenses always exceed it, and you must come out of your pocket for the balance. First class? Company cars? Concierge level service? Until recently, I honestly thought that kind of first-class, white gloved attendant stuff only existed in corporate America.

I'm sympathetic as a fellow "woman traveling for business," but everyone over here across Cass Avenue must travel to Lansing for regular meetings, too.

Something about all this is fishy. I can believe that some library administrators are incompetent, but a) this level of incompetence in an adminstrative group of dozens of people is incomprehensible and b) if you really screwed up this badly, why would you admit to it? Say you performed some crazy act of accounting genius and found the money to save the libraries.

So, at the moment I don't believe this.

[[And I'm sure bailey is just as outraged by the culture of entitlement among private-sector CEOs.)

Quote Originally Posted by Melocoton View Post
    Something about all this is fishy. I can believe that some library administrators are incompetent, but a) this level of incompetence in an adminstrative group of dozens of people is incomprehensible and b) if you really screwed up this badly, why would you admit to it? Say you performed some crazy act of accounting genius and found the money to save the libraries.

[[And I'm sure bailey is just as outraged by the culture of entitlement among private-sector CEOs.)
    setting aside your ridiculous assertion that since "everyone's doing it" it must be ok.......I don't give a tinker's fart about what CEOs of PRIVATE SECTOR companies get as compensation. [[bailed out ones..perhaps... but if Bill gates gets a sweet ride and golden parachutes, well whatever, its up to Microsoft shareholders to decide.)

What I do care about is a functionally bankrupt city still hasn't figured out that free cars for everyone and 160k a year for a library director that is apparently a galactic failure at her job is not an appropriate use of TAX PAYER dollars. And it's further enraging that those, when caught with these ridiculous salaries and perks seem to think it's no biggie and it would be disrespectful for them NOT to be offered such things in conjunction with their job.

Bring it on EFM. Watching the cockroaches scurry will be hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Melocoton View Post

If I had a job that paid me a years salary [[$145,000) if I was fired why not admit that I screwed up? It sounds like these clowns have a job for life and they know it.

Maybe, rjk, but they still don't like getting their names in the paper for two weeks straight for being stupid. So I don't think rjk's explanation really suffices.

And Bailey, my point isn't that "everybody's doing it so it's ok." My point is that public employees aren't really the ones who are "entitled." The abuse you're pointing to by the library director--pretty damn small potatoes in the big picture, but still--is evidence to me more of the invasion of private CEO entitlement into public institutions than it is of any public employee culture. [[i.e., the library has to treat its bosses like CEOs with company cars in order to "attract top talent.") As English said, 99% of public employees don't get anywhere near a free Buick with OnStar, would never expect to, make less money than they could in the private sector, and are seeing their benefits or their whole jobs slashed, often under the false pretense that they are leeches living off a sense of entitlement.

And BTW, the bailed-out auto companies aren't the only private corporations benefiting form tax dollars. All the companies that get huge tax abatements to set up shop in one state or the other, who benefit from research conducted at public universities or government research labs, etc., are all a bigger drain on the taxpayers than some library administrator in Detroit.

I still think something's fishy with this whole library thing, though.

But the good news is the libraries will stay open [[until someone changes their mind again).
    Last edited by Melocoton; May-20-11 at 03:42 PM.

I think that if any of the Detroit Public Libraries close, it will be the Utley Branch on Woodward Ave, simply for the fact that it is WAY to close to the Detroit Public Library Main Branch. Just a thought...

May 21. 2011 1:00AM
    Fans to throw a celebration for Franklin Branch Library

Supporters relieved important hub for residents won't close

Christine MacDonald/ The Detroit News

Detroit —Residents of the east side's Osborn neighborhood were ready to rally next week to keep their Franklin Branch Library alive.

Now they are planning a celebration.

The Detroit Public Library Board of Commissioners decided Friday not to close any branches or lay off any more staff, one month after administrators recommended the closures of up to 18 of 23 branches and layoffs of 191 of 376 workers.
    Franklin users are so ecstatic they plan on still gathering at 3 p.m. Wednesday at the library to celebrate, said Wayne Ramocan, the rally's organizer.

"It's a hub," said Ramocan, program coordinator for the non-profit Osborn Neighborhood Alliance. "It's not just about books. It's a community center. We still need to show our support."

Branch closure plans have dramatically changed since last month, and Friday they were discarded altogether after administrators withdrew their latest plan to close six branches.

No further action is needed. But several commissioners grilled administrators over how, just a month ago, officials thought the budget was so bleak.

"What in the hell happened," asked Jonathan C. Kinloch, the commission's vice president and an occasional contributor to a blog on detnews.com.

"How could this happen when we've been looking at these numbers since the beginning of the year? This makes us look like a bunch of clowns."

The closure plans shrunk as bookkeeping and mathematical errors grew.

Last week, the list was cut after The Detroit News pointed out officials misinterpreted tax collection projections for the system that is largely funded through a 4.6-mill tax.

Then this week, Chief Administrative Officer Tim Cromer acknowledged the library forgot to factor in savings from the loss of 70 staffers to layoffs and retirements earlier this spring. That saves $3 million, bringing payroll to $21.2 million for the budget year starting in July and prevents massive cuts.

Ramocan said Osborn residents used Franklin computers to get general equivalency diplomas online.

"There's never a time I go down there and there isn't a line," he said.

cmacdonald@detnews.com