Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit to allow police officers to work as security guards

Darren A. Nichols / / The Detroit News

Detroit — New rules that allow uniformed officers to moonlight as security guards will start next week, Police Chief Ralph Godbee said Wednesday.

The city's top cop told the Detroit City Council that starting Monday, Mike's Fresh Market on Livernois near Seven Mile will be the first business to utilize the program that was approved last year.
    Officers could earn their hourly rate — about $28 — and there will be a $2 administrative fee added to make it cost-neutral for the city.

Officers cannot work more than 30 hours per week on second jobs.

Although it seems odd to us here, this is S.O.P. in many if not most places.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Although it seems odd to us here, this is S.O.P. in many if not most places.
    I agree,a bit behind the times I guess,it does wonders to have a off duty in uniform LEO in front of a hip hop club for security.

My entire career was spent working part time jobs with department permission. The store/function had to get approval from the Chief. Then it was handed down to the LT who posted the assignment list. You had to be in good standing to work one of the available jobs. You showed up in uniform driving your take home car.

In 1986 these jobs were paying $20-$25 an hour cash. It could be directing traffic in front of a shopping center during Christmas rush or being a bouncer at the local club.

Yeah, this is pretty normal. There is some risk in it for the city, though. Here in Minneapolis, the city had to pay out some big dollar settlements some years back for lawsuits alleging excessive use of force by a couple of cops on their off duty jobs. There was one officer that was involved in several different incidents. I'm not sure how they addressed it, but it hasn't happened again.

My wife always worked during my 25 years on the job, so we were always fairly comfortable financially. But had she been unable or unwilling, I'd of probably had to do some moonlighting. I'm just as glad I didn't have to. And Mrs. Ray1936 enjoyed her career, so it worked out well.

Today, we're both retired, of course, and pretty much on easy street.

We have cops working as security guards here in Toledo, and it is a nice theft deterrent. In a city that is almost as impoverished as Detroit, we are able to operate 24-hour grocery stores with very few incidents.

The main problem with this is if officers are tempted to work too much and not get enough rest; not sleeping enough is bad for you and impairs judgment. However, as long as they keep that under control I think this is generally a benefit to everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    The main problem with this is if officers are tempted to work too much and not get enough rest; not sleeping enough is bad for you and impairs judgment. However, as long as they keep that under control I think this is generally a benefit to everybody.
    Idiots can be idiots and stay up all night on their own. An option for the responsible officer doesn't force others to be stupid.

Regarding lawsuits, the problem would not be the reasonable policy, but the trial lawyers who know just how juicy a city lawsuit can be. You can't blame them. Blame the people who perpetuate the litigious culture.

Top of the week to all.