Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Recent crime wave downtown and near downtown

Hi everybody.

I've lived downtown for a year and half now. Over the last few weeks, there has been a major increase in violent crimes robberies near me. And I'm troubled.

Three weeks ago, there was a shooting inside Kingdom nightclub, next door to Saint Andrews. Shortly after, there was another shooting outside - which I heard happen and watched the aftermath. Outside, three bouncers fired 22 shots, killing a man who's car who had hit the building. In the weeks since, the family of the guy killed by the bouncers have been protesting the club. They say their son, a father of three in his 40s, was a photographer hired for a party inside that night. They believe he filmed the shooting inside, and was killed for his camera, which was missing after he was killed.

Two weeks ago, my friend in Corktown was car jacked in front of her home, just north of 75. Three guys took her car and tried to force her into her home. Fortunately, she was locked out of her home at the time, waiting for a friend to bring her key. So the guys left with her car and everything in it - including her computer. They didn't harm her. She was lucky. What would've happened had they gotten her into her home?

Thursday, the Free Press reported two men shot in their car in midtown, north of 94, west of the Lodge. It may have been an attempted car jacking.

Thursday, an off-duty cop got into a shootout with a guy trying to jack the cop's car at the Marathon station on Michigan in Corktown.

Thursday, two men shot outside of club Envy, on Larned near Shelby. One killed, one injured. The deceased was Cortez Smith, a star football player at Wayne State. A graduate of Cass Tech. An electrical engineering major.

A friend of mine was mugged at gun point outside of the party store at Cass and 75 two nights ago.

Last night we saw a guy trying to smash a car window behind the Fox Theater. A friend of mine has had his car broken into three times on that block.

Over the weekend, that landlord was killed over on the east side.

Crime is an old story in the city. And I've had few problems personally, since I moved here. But it seems like a real crazy time right now.

Anybody have anything else to report?

I understand your concern, but I don't think this is anything new or particularly worrisome.

The club killings are due to the club patronage, and have little to do with downtown. They're also not random crimes.

The East Side landlord hit was nowhere near downtown.

The carjackings and car thefts are just facts of life in Detroit. Hardly a new thing. If anything, you probably have a little less of that activity than in years past.

Personally, while I love downtown, these issues aren't ones I want to think about on a daily basis. That's why I choose to live in a suburb where I can walk around 24/7 without fear of bodily harm.

Bham,

You think shootings in my front yard are not particularly worrisome? You think my friend, a single mother of two getting car-jacked in front of her own home is not worrisome? Gee, thanks.

Shootings in my front yard have everything to do with downtown - that's where the shootings happened. On the street. Near lots of innocent people - including me and my neighbors.

For those who actually live downtown, and understand that this recent crime is not normal, I'd appreciate any news you have to offer.

Thank you.

agrahlma Guest

I also live Downtown and the recent shootings are a big concern for me and my wife. We live across the street from Mandees and things tend to get a little crazy there late at night, and into the early morning.

Granted we're usually not out and about that late, but I sometimes I do need to walk the dogs after 11:00. The thing that concerns me is that I don't really see a police presence around there late at night. So far I've only witnessed a few fights - I pray that it never escalates beyond that.

Joesmithrocks - I have a few questions so I sent you a message

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I understand your concern, but I don't think this is anything new or particularly worrisome.

The club killings are due to the club patronage, and have little to do with downtown. They're also not random crimes.

The East Side landlord hit was nowhere near downtown.

The carjackings and car thefts are just facts of life in Detroit. Hardly a new thing. If anything, you probably have a little less of that activity than in years past.

Personally, while I love downtown, these issues aren't ones I want to think about on a daily basis. That's why I choose to live in a suburb where I can walk around 24/7 without fear of bodily harm.
    Suburban Detroiters: Perfectly pleased to live next to a hellhole; would never lift a finger to change things.

The club killings are due to the club patronage, and have little to do with downtown.
    Other than the fact that the clubs are downtown and the people with guns were in the clubs I guess you're right. What do you mean it has nothing to do with downtown? If downtown is attracting that type of person then it's a big problem and the city needs to deal with it.
    Last edited by rjk; May-09-11 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joesmithrocks View Post
    Bham,

You think shootings in my front yard are not particularly worrisome? You think my friend, a single mother of two getting car-jacked in front of her own home is not worrisome? Gee, thanks.
    These violence-oriented clubs have been downtown for decades. So, while you may personally be worried, they aren't anything new, and are to be expected given past history. It's basically part of the bargain when you live downtown.

Same goes with carjackings. Obviously it's unacceptable and horrible behavior, but it's been going on for decades. It isn't particularly newsworthy when it's more of the same for a half-century.

My mother was carjacked [[not near downtown, though, near State Fair), so I know it's personally extremely distressing, but it's also reality in Detroit. This is why most folks who love Detroit choose to not live in Detroit.

I personally would consider Detroit, because I love the architecture, character and history. There's nothing like it where I live. But safety trumps everything else, so I'm in the burbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Suburban Detroiters: Perfectly pleased to live next to a hellhole; would never lift a finger to change things.
    I spend thousands in Detroit annually, and contribute significantly to a church and to two major cultural anchors.

But it's irrelevent. I have no obligation to a given city. We're free to live and spend where we choose, and it's no one else's business.

Summertime brings out the thugs.

The only thing I have to report is a few weeks back some kids got held up at gunpoint for their cash, phones, and weed at Forest and 3rd st in midtown. Also, a bunch of tires got slashed on my block last week

I spend thousands in Detroit annually, and contribute significantly to a church and to two major cultural anchors.

But it's irrelevent. I have no obligation to a given city. We're free to live and spend where we choose, and it's no one else's business.
    Ah, yes. No reason for, say, a regional tax to actually educate people or ensure adequate nutrition. Much better to live in thine own personal Versaille and deign to spend thousands on cultural anchors. Truly, all wisdom will die with thee.

Ah, yes. No reason for, say, a regional tax to actually educate people or ensure adequate nutrition. Much better to live in thine own personal Versaille and deign to spend thousands on cultural anchors. Truly, all wisdom will die with thee.
    LOL, DNerd.

I would live in the University District in a sec if it were halfway safe and services were marginally tolerable. The fact that I don't may make me "evil" in your eyes, but I love the city all the same,

LOL, DNerd.

I would live in the University District in a sec if it were halfway safe and services were marginally tolerable. The fact that I don't may make me "evil" in your eyes, but I love the city all the same,
    Sure. In other words, I'll contribute to the tax base as soon as the tax base is big enough to provide the services I need. In other words, never. Oh, if ONLY they could get their act together. Oh, well.

"Detroit? I live several miles north of there!"

"i went to the place where every white face
    Is an invitation to robbery.
    Sitting here in my safe Oakland County home
    Don't wanna go back there again..."

Y'all need to take a good handgun qualification course, get a CCW, and act like Charles Bronson. Couple of months and crime will go away..

You don't think University District is safe ? What is safe in your eyes ? Have any examples of poor services in University District ?

It is categorically untrue that "violence-oriented clubs have been downtown for decades." professional crime studies held that downtown was the safest district in Detroit with little petty crime and real violence nearly unheard of. This as recently as four years ago.

Hey bham, that's great. Good for you. You're so smart you live in the suburbs.

This thread is about recent crime in my neighborhood. And I find that to be very newsworthy indeed. If you wish to start a debate about crime history and city vs suburb living, how about you start your own thread?

Thanks.

Thanks to you city folks for helping keep this particular thread on topic.

As a newer resident here, I'm hoping to become part of the conversation working to improve life in the neighborhood. I'm sure there are lots of great folks working hard to that end.

Vox Guest

I suppose that you have all the answers, then. Living IN the hellhole is just soooo much more appealing, right? As long as there's a train running through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Y'all need to take a good handgun qualification course, get a CCW, and act like Charles Bronson. Couple of months and crime will go away..
    It might go away. Or we might be dead.

First, the off-duty police officer who was robbed was armed. It really didn't do him a lot of good.

Second, for the mother who was carjacked, unless you happen to be a member of SEAL Team 6, going solo against 3 armed assailants is simply not a good idea.
    Last edited by Fnemecek; May-09-11 at 06:05 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Anybody have anything else to report?
    Crime isn't just up in downtown nor in the area around downtown. It's up citywide.

As far as what can be done about it, with the way things currently stand at 1300 Beaubien, I'm really not sure.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    Crime isn't just up in downtown nor in the area around downtown. It's up citywide.

As far as what can be done about it, with the way things currently stand at 1300 Beaubien, I'm really not sure.
    Martial law? Bring in the troops. It's rather simplistic, but face it, there's no money for policing to levels needed. Even in some suburbs. Pay attention to the news this summer as the cities and some suburbs lose their battles with their budgets,

Thanks to you city folks for helping keep this particular thread on topic.

As a newer resident here, I'm hoping to become part of the conversation working to improve life in the neighborhood. I'm sure there are lots of great folks working hard to that end.
    You might find it helpful to invest in a police radio just to better assess the situation. Beware though that at first it might seem like there is far more crime than before. This is just the understandable psychological effect of suddenly becoming aware of more crimes than before.

In Michigan it's now legal for civilians to operate a police radio in their own car. [[Certain common-sense restrictions apply.) I wonder if such a radio would serve as a deterrent or would it just become something else to steal?

Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    Martial law? Bring in the troops. It's rather simplistic, but face it, there's no money for policing to levels needed. Even in some suburbs. Pay attention to the news this summer as the cities and some suburbs lose their battles with their budgets,
    All too true. Warren is concerned that they have the same murder numbers at this point this year that the city had all last year.
    Last edited by Detroitej72; May-09-11 at 07:28 PM.

While homicides are up in the city, the claim that all violent crime is up citywide is simply false. The following is a quote from a recent detnews article:

"For the first quarter, violent crimes — including rape, robbery and aggravated assault — dropped 13.4 percent, while property crimes including auto theft fell 12.6 percent.
    Through April 17, there were 1,147 fewer assaults, 874 fewer burglaries, 32 fewer rapes and 306 fewer robberies compared to the same time in 2010, according to the figures compiled beyond the first quarter.
    That appears to follow a trend reported by FBI crime statistics on Detroit released in December, which showed a 7.9 percent decrease in violent crime in the first half of 2010 compared to 2009.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110427/...#ixzz1Lu7TDaa7

Overall, If you dont go looking for crime it rarely finds you. While I do feel bad for the woman in corktown that is not the norm, usually criminal incidents happen to those out late at night or who are at places like gas stations, liquor stores, etc. during the dark. This is true for Detroit and the burbs. Crime does hit the innocent, but the majority of incidents happen to those either looking for it or going somewhere late at night.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast