Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Abandon hope, all ye who enter...

From the Detroit News this morning:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...troit-landlord

With insane stories like this happening with increasing frequency every day in the city, how can Bing ever hope to bring real, honest people back into the city limits? When an argument about rent being owed leads to the landlord being gunned down on the steps of the apartment building, there simply isn't a bright side to look forward to when one wants to put their time, resources, and effort into revitalizing a neighborhood.

Hopefully they catch the thug who did this.

agrahlma Guest

This yet another unfortunate example of the uphill battle that Detroiters face on a daily basis. My prayers go out to this man's family - this tragedy is so senseless! I cannot even begin to understand the mentality that it takes to murder someone in this way. This story is so disheartening!

Quote Originally Posted by UpTown View Post

With insane stories like this happening with increasing frequency every day in the city, how can Bing ever hope to bring real, honest people back into the city limits? When an argument about rent being owed leads to the landlord being gunned down on the steps of the apartment building, there simply isn't a bright side to look forward to when one wants to put their time, resources, and effort into revitalizing a neighborhood.

I'll be the first to admit that I have no understanding of the actions that need to be taken to compel someone to pay rent before you can evict them, but I'm sure that an argument wasn't necessary. This is tragic for the family of the and the good residents of the building. In my mind, I just know the woman or the girls with her called someone they knew and said "come take care of him." Can't the police pursue charges of some sort?

I don't believe this should change people's resolve to try to live and make a difference in Detroit. Hopefully, this type of tragedy will increase vigilance among the good citizens and people willing to put in their money and energy.

This is a truly sad story about somebody who evidently was putting his money where his mouth was in a city dominated by the likes of Matty Maroun.

UpTown, I think most of that second paragraph is hyperbolic, in particular "real, honest people," and "increasing frequency;" but I get it. Everything about this sucks. I'm more interested to know what could have been done to keep this from happening. And why this happened.

Was the gunman related to the renter in some way? Did he shoot so his lady wouldn't have to pay rent? Was this really a rent dispute?

I guess if you shoot your landlord you no longer have to pay rent until the dust settles; but if you don't want to have a landlord, there are plenty of places in the city for you to occupy.

It's bizarre, troubling, and sad.

That's a forecast of any small investor trying something in Detroit . Criminals are getting away with every damn thing. That guy will never get caught... Who's gonna rat him out? The woman that refused to pay rent? ----- wright.....

DetroitPole Guest

First off, I'm not sure what Matty Maroun has to do with ANY of this.

This is about a culture of violence. As we saw at Warren and Beniteau a year ago, a dirty look can lead to a grown man killing a young man. Then its got me thinking about this Godboldo thing, with this woman getting her daughter taken away from her so she starts firing a gun. That is simply not the answer. The gun culture here is as troubling as the lack of respect for human life. There is also a lack of respect for personal property, the earth, education, law, everything. The city simply can't go on like this. Too many people don't care about ANYTHING.

Even yesterday, on a beautiful sunny afternoon, in my little corner of Detroit, some kids started throwing punches at each other on my lawn. I look accross the street and see some of my neighbors haven't cut their grass yet this year, yet they're sitting on the porch as I'm cutting and weedwhipping away. Young, spry folks too. Just a bunch of fucking losers who don't care about anything, and I'm tired of it. Yet you can bet I don't go say something about it because they'd probably not hesitate to answer me with a gun. Makes me want to shoot somebody myself.

agrahlma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Yet you can bet I don't go say something about it because they'd probably not hesitate to answer me with a gun.
    Agree - If you say anything, you're setting yourself up to become a victim. It's crazy.

I think the criminal will get caught. Someone's cell phone will tell the tale and hopefully the responding police confiscated all three cell phones.

This is beyond TRAGIC! This nonsense was one of the reasons my uncle sold his apartment complex about 3 years ago while he could. He had to come to the building strapped and holstered--just the way of life--how things were done.

It got increasingly weary and the fight to maintain the building, sky high taxing, eviction costs, retaining good tenants, poor police response for the escalating crime took it's toll. Another owner now has the building.... a younger man. He has a formidable on-site building manager. They too are probably armed.

The bailiff is there often -- stuff thrown on the street.

You'll find yourself in the courts frequently with rental property in some areas!
    Quote Originally Posted by agrahlma View Post
    This yet another unfortunate example of the uphill battle that Detroiters face on a daily basis. My prayers go out to this man's family - this tragedy is so senseless! I cannot even begin to understand the mentality that it takes to murder someone in this way. This story is so disheartening!

A moral of this devastatingly tragic story is clear. If you want to invest your money without risking your life to "help" someone, don't do it in Detroit. Don't risk becoming one of the 300/400 guaranteed annual murders.
    Last edited by coracle; May-12-11 at 07:38 AM.

One thing I learned from my brief term as a landlord is that I would never personally manage any property I own again. There are management companies that will deal with the everyday B.S. that comes from tenants. Whatever it takes off any profit is well worth it. This man should have never put himself in a position to argue with a tenant over unpaid rent. Pay somebody to deal with her & evict her through legal means. It costs more in terms of dollars, but the alternative is not nearly as attractive... as he sadly found out.

The short term thinking is what gets to me. Please come and Kill the man because I don't want to pay rent? How much longer are you going to be able to stay there without paying, do you think? Not to mention, how 'bout if you get caught? Oh, right... the taxpayers will take care of you.

Quote Originally Posted by agrahlma View Post
    Why battle upward when it's so much more fun and much less difficult to downward slide. Wheeee! This sicken me. This could have been/could one day be me. I'm not going to able to do what I do for a living forever-Nobody wants to see a 60 year old stripper. So I have dreams of buying restoring and renting property in the city. Not to make a killing [[pardon the bad choice of words), but to make a difference.

Have the police made a link between the tenant and the shooter/driver of the Avalanche?

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    And why this happened.
    I think this happened because Mr. McNichols was a nice person in a mean town. Because he tried to speak to the tenant like a person. Because he didn't simply put their stuff out on the curb while locking himself away in his apartment or, like most other landlords, out of state.

Detroit— A man accused of fatally shooting his daughter's landlord was arraigned today on a first-degree murder charge, authorities said.
    Freddie Young, 62, drove by an apartment complex in a black Chevy Avalanche at about 5:40 p.m. May 7 on the 11200 block of Canfield where his daughter lived and shot the 45-year-old building owner, Greg McNichol, as he argued with the woman about rent, police said

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110514/...#ixzz1MNuagifi

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalG313 View Post
    Detroit— A man accused of fatally shooting his daughter's landlord was arraigned today on a first-degree murder charge, authorities said.
    Freddie Young, 62, drove by an apartment complex in a black Chevy Avalanche at about 5:40 p.m. May 7 on the 11200 block of Canfield where his daughter lived and shot the 45-year-old building owner, Greg McNichol, as he argued with the woman about rent, police said

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110514/...#ixzz1MNuagifi
    Dumba_ _ is already 62 years old, now he gets to spend what little time he has left looking at cinder blocks 24/7.

That's pretty surprising. I would have thought it would be a young guy, not an old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Dumba_ _ is already 62 years old, now he gets to spend what little time he has left looking at cinder blocks 24/7.
    What a great pity we have to pay for him to sit, eat and look at cinder blocks for 20 years with free health coverage while his victim is dead. That's not justice; it's rewarding the criminal. Wonder if he'll get his Soc. Sec. payments while serving time. If he is eligible that should automatically go to Greg McNichol's next of kin or at least to his upkeep. Will his daughter share responsibility for calling him in to take care of her problem?

Yeah, what happened to him speaks to why some landlords who have property in the city are hands off and 'pay' and employ others to handle the details which can go deadly as in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamtown mike View Post
    I think this happened because Mr. McNichols was a nice person in a mean town. Because he tried to speak to the tenant like a person. Because he didn't simply put their stuff out on the curb while locking himself away in his apartment or, like most other landlords, out of state.

The daughter may be the type who 'justifies' her fathers actions. Not an uncommon mentality sadly. Maybe she can push on to the homeless shelters were paying rent in reasonable manner is not an issue... I'd prefer someone else more worthy have her spot at a shelter should they need it. I'm glad my cousin and uncle got out of the apartment renting business in Detroit... It's just too dangerous right now to attempt it unless you are talking really upscale or a better area.
    Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    What a great pity we have to pay for him to sit, eat and look at cinder blocks for 20 years with free health coverage while his victim is dead. That's not justice; it's rewarding the criminal. Wonder if he'll get his Soc. Sec. payments while serving time. If he is eligible that should automatically go to Greg McNichol's next of kin or at least to his upkeep. Will his daughter share responsibility for calling him in to take care of her problem?

Quote Originally Posted by UpTown View Post

In view of this particular appalling murder and the sickening repetative reports of murder on the daily local TV News your message "Abandon hope, all ye that enter...." is quite appropriate and should be posted at all entrances to the City to warn the casual visitor of what they might be getting into. It's too late after they become a statistic.

Happie Guest

Anybody have any experience with Section 8? I'm asking because I think the government guarantees rent payment. Is this the way to go for landlords in Detroit? What are the pros and cons? Pro: It completely takes the behaviour variable out of the equation.
    Last edited by Happie; May-15-11 at 12:30 PM.

No it does not. Those on section 8 are required to pay a 'lowered' portion of rent and sometimes had to be evicted for not paying that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Happie View Post
    Anybody have any experience with Section 8? I'm asking because I think the government guarantees rent payment. Is this the way to go for landlords in Detroit? What are the pros and cons? Pro: It completely takes the behaviour variable out of the equation.

There has to be two answers.

1) Detroit must really ramp up the police presence and responses. Detroit needs to get a reputation that murderers are caught.

2) Culture. The culture of the people living in the city must change. Violence and living off the system must be replaced with education and self-sufficiency.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast