Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Question: WSU

Default Question: WSU

Was reading in the Freep about a WSU football player killed yesterday. It says: "The Wayne State Warriors 2011 team roster lists Smith as a 2008 graduate of Detroit Cass Tech High School and electrical engineering major."

Just out of curiosity, when did Wayne State become the "Warriors" and stop being the "Tartars"?

Boy, you can tell I've been away for a while.

2003-2004 season they made the name change.

That was always a little question in my mind too, so your question inspired me to go look it up. Wikipedia says the name was changed in 1999.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_S...sity#Athletics

And I always thought Tartars was the magical land where the condiment sauce came from.

Malcove is right. 2003 is when I graduated. 1999 is when it changed. My bad.

Thanks, gang. I dunno; I kind of liked "Tartars". Was unique.