Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 80 unit Cathedral manor for $1,000 now on e-bay

What's the story behind this 80 unit apartment building at 2001 Burlingame that's now listed on e-bay with the current bid at a thousand bucks? I typed "Cathedral Manor" into the search and couldn't find anything. Nothing on google except one picture. From the e-bay listing, it seems to be surrounded by these clean looking, well landscaped apartment buildings, so what happened?

I also remember someone mentioning here a few months ago that Gov. Snyder is keeping the historic tax credits in the city. Just curious, if a building like this required a million in renovations, how much of that would be covered by historic tax credits and grants?

For some reason, I can't cut and paste pictures into this post and submit it without the screen turning blank and locking up. Anyway, the pictures are in the listing below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

Looks like it's worth around $1,000.00 to me. I'm not trying to be a smart ass at all here, but your questions "What's the story" and "so what happened" are strange to me. Do you not know the overall condition of the city or Detroit's history? This is just one of hundreds of building just like it in the city. Prices for completely rundown building such as this one are going very cheep currently.

Oh, and sorry I can't help you on the tax credit questions. If you're serious about taking on a project like this, I would recommend you speak with Ryan Cooley at O'Connor Realty for help. www.oconnordetroit.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chub View Post
    Looks like it's worth around $1,000.00 to me. I'm not trying to be a smart ass at all here, but your questions "What's the story" and "so what happened" are strange to me. Do you not know the overall condition of the city or Detroit's history? This is just one of hundreds of building just like it in the city. Prices for completely rundown building such as this one are going very cheep currently.
    Yes, I know about the overall condition of the city. I've been here for a while now. But, nothing you said answers my questions. I don't know why you are being so defensive when someone asks a question. Last I checked, this was the "Discuss Detroit" forum, not the "shut up, mind your own business chocolate sauce forum".

bartock Guest

Well, a "quick claim deed" is being offered. I think the "seller" means a quitclaim deed, which I will sell you on that property for half of what they are asking. It's a scam, means nothing.

Dave, I did not tell you to shut up and mind your own business. And I wasn't being defensive at all. I just thought your questions about What's the story? and So what happened? were odd. I figured you'd know what happened if you've lived in Detroit or read anything about the city. And I even gave you a place to go for questions on getting into the purchase of a building like this, so calm down and give me a break with the drama, ok.

The building is the only one standing on its block at thsi point.

The building looks like a complete wreck and the immediate neighborhood is terrible.

This is the old 14th Street corridor, which was devastated in the riots.

So that probably explains the low, low price.

bartock Guest

It's a scam, that's what explains the low price.

street view has a nice building right next to it on the corner? Is that destroyed?

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    street view has a nice building right next to it on the corner? Is that destroyed?
    Just part of the scam, obviously too good too be true but joe schmoe from god knows where knows nothing about that and wires the money over for that good deal.

LoL at the "quick claim".

Sad part is people fall for it, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    looks like the urban garden is included

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post

See but look at how nice the corner of 14th and Burlingame look!

Wow, even when it was a functional unit, 16 rooms per bathroom. That must have been pleasant.

You can't buy it for $1000.00.

It has a bid for a thousand, but the reserve is not met.

It's obviously a shell of a building, it would be a complete liability to own. There are absolutely no redeeming features that I can see.

There are still some apartment buildings in good and functional shape left in the city. Owners that want to get out almost have to give them away.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    It's obviously a shell of a building, it would be a complete liability to own. There are absolutely no redeeming features that I can see.

There are still some apartment buildings in good and functional shape left in the city. Owners that want to get out almost have to give them away.
    I am one of them. I have a 62 unit building that is operational and I can't give it away. All I get are the usual bullshit land contract offers.
    Last edited by lincoln8740; May-06-11 at 07:53 PM.

GUSHI Guest

what the name of the church idown the strret

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    what the name of the church idown the strret
    The big abandoned one ? Visitation ? http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=2162

GUSHI Guest

ya thanks Dowtown Racine, thats sad to see old abandoned churches, only if the walls can talk of those old churches,

Probably more than $1000 worth of bricks there...tear it down and sell the bricks!

That brick & block is fine, isn't it? I assume the building behind it is part of the complex as well. Would they have been connected by a corridor of some kind?

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    See but look at how nice the corner of 14th and Burlingame look!
    That's what I'm sayin'. From googleview, the apartment building next to it has brand new windows and looks well maintained and at that intersection all along 14th I see well maintained apartment buildings. Lawns cut. Very clean. 14th street doesn't look like a ghetto street with firebombed houses and graffiti.

When I look at the listing, it says the block's zoned C3/multi-res. It makes me wonder if the vacant parcels between the apartment building and the church was torn down with a plan to build some kind of grocery store or strip mall that never happened. I don't even know if the riots went all the way up to 6th mile. I thought it spread from 12th to just downtown and midtown.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast