Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    agrahlma Guest

Default Apple Store in Detroit

Update Rumors[?]: Click Here to Jump to Updated Discussion >>

=======================================
    Hmmmm- ok...

[[WXYZ) DETROIT - When Dan Gilbert looks out the windows of his company’s headquarters, he sees an Apple Store. The 49-year-old founder and chairman of Quicken Loans envisions one in downtown Detroit’s Chase Tower.

During an interview that will be televised today as part of WXYZ’s Detroit 2020 project, Gilbert pointed out a window in the Compuware Building, toward the nearby Chase Tower. He revealed that his own company is talking to Apple about bringing a retail store to the building.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...9s-chase-tower

My knee jerk reaction is to say "ice cube's chance in Hell". But Apple likes high profile locations... And as far as Metro Detroit goes, Campus Martius is as high profile as it gets. They have also demonstrated that they like risky ventures, like what they're doing in Chicago by integrating their store into the El train strop. So I could see it. But Apple ain't comin' alone.

If he wants to do something FOR Detroit, he would require his Execs and other top-level employees to live within the city limits and provide incentives for all other employees to do the same.

agrahlma Guest

Yeah - it's a little risky, but then again - if it doesn't work they could pull-out without much of a loss. I wonder if the folks at Apple have been hanging-out with the guys from Whole Foods - they must be drinking the same water [[or spirits). I'm not a fan of either, but I'll certainly hold the door open for both of them.

agrahlma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    If he wants to do something FOR Detroit, he would require his Execs and other top-level employees to live within the city limits and provide incentives for all other employees to do the same.
    It would be nice to see them follow the lead of Wayne State, DMC and Henry Ford. They could team-up with GM, BCBS.

http://livemidtown.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    yes indeed.. Also his company should 'adopt' a Detroit city school and specialize the curriculum toward financial/investment/insurance careers..

I think it makes sense. Apple's presence in the Metro region consists of tacky mall locations which require you to deal with the car entitled suburbanites trying to flick you off and run you over as you bike up to Somerset.

Downtown Detroit is the location of or proximal to many college campuses, many highly paid employees, and is centrally located. Actually about as many people work in the, I guess, two square mile downtown area as live in all of Troy. The residents have little retail for the amount of demand here. I can't think of one place where I might go in the entire city of Detroit to buy a computer except Radioshack which in my experience is probably overpriced for the quality of the machines.

This would be one more perk for the prominent Mac using minority around Wayne State & CCS who tend to go around on foot or bike or transit. And from a transit standpoint the vast majority of the Tri-county area has direct, if somewhat slow, access to downtown Detroit.

It would be the first flagship store for the state.

I would love an apple store and a Starbucks close to each other in Campus Martius.

agrahlma Guest

If Apple wants to take a chance on Detroit - then good for them. I'm not about to tell them how to run their business or spend their money. Would an Apple store survive in Detroit? Would Whole Foods survive? Who knows - hopefully we'll have a chance to find-out. In my opinion...it's encouraging to see a company that is willing to take a chance on Detroit, rather than bypassing us completely. Personally, I think they can make it work. If it fails [[which is possible), then it fails, but if it succeeds…then maybe more companies will take a chance on the city.

As nice as it would be to have an Apple store downtown, 24/7 security would be absolutely necessary. This is what happened in an upscale NJ suburban store which had security:

http://boingboing.net/2009/09/02/sma...rab-robbe.html

The same thing has happened in Pittsburgh, PA, Naperville, IL, Greenwich, CT, San Francisco, as well as San Diego. Not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic. Maybe two armed security guards would make it work.

apple is just as much about brand and image as it is computers and phones these days. they put locations in downtowns with interesting architecture to grow their image in addition to making money. given the growing number of people working downtown, i have no doubt that they could keep a store afloat. plus if gilbert is pushing for a location in his building, dont you think quicken employees are going to have incentives to purchase apple products?

in terms of crime i doubt the store would have any problems being right on campus martius.

"... Maybe two armed security guards would make it work..."

Perhaps, but One-Armed Security Guards are cheaper...

agrahlma Guest

Quote Originally Posted by milesdriven View Post
    As nice as it would be to have an Apple store downtown, 24/7 security would be absolutely necessary. This is what happened in an upscale NJ suburban store which had security:

http://boingboing.net/2009/09/02/sma...rab-robbe.html

The same thing has happened in Pittsburgh, PA, Naperville, IL, Greenwich, CT, San Francisco, as well as San Diego. Not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic. Maybe two armed security guards would make it work.
    So it wouldn’t be just a Detroit thing.

For Apple it’s a cost of doing business in a city.

with all of the business professionals [[ipads/iphones are mostly a necessity these days it seems) in the area I would think some sort of apple store would do really well downtown.

I wouldn't be worried about crime. I think Apple has plenty of skill with urban centers and crime-stopping, and their stores aren't really about moving inventory, but promoting image. There isn't all that much to steal.

What I would worry about is business viability. Apple seems to draw a crowd in its locations, but I don't see retail crowds forming downtown.

And Apple already has a Michigan flagship. They're doubling the size of their Somerset store.

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    I think it makes sense. Apple's presence in the Metro region consists of tacky mall locations which require you to deal with the car entitled suburbanites trying to flick you off and run you over as you bike up to Somerset.
    LOL; yes, Apple needs to wake up and start serving the millions of Metro Detroiters who use bikes to get around, and stop serving that pesky, inconsequential minority of car drivers...

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I wouldn't be worried about crime. I think Apple has plenty of skill with urban centers and crime-stopping, and their stores aren't really about moving inventory, but promoting image. There isn't all that much to steal.

What I would worry about is business viability. Apple seems to draw a crowd in its locations, but I don't see retail crowds forming downtown.

And Apple already has a Michigan flagship. They're doubling the size of their Somerset store.
    Apple does not have a flagship store in Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Apple does not have a flagship store in Michigan.
    Apple makes no official distinction between flagships and regular retail outlets, so in that sense, you're technically correct.

But then there are no Apple flagships anywhere.

In the context of flagships informally defined as "biggest and busiest stores in the primary retail center of a given region", then Somerset serves as a flagship, since it's the biggest and most profitable store, and in the most profitable retail center.

Quote Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
    with all of the business professionals [[ipads/iphones are mostly a necessity these days it seems) in the area I would think some sort of apple store would do really well downtown.
    And WSU will give them a lot of business, too.

Apple makes no official distinction between flagships and regular retail outlets, so in that sense, you're technically correct.

But then there are no Apple flagships anywhere.

In the context of flagships informally defined as "biggest and busiest stores in the primary retail center of a given region", then Somerset serves as a flagship, since it's the biggest and most profitable store, and in the most profitable retail center.
    By definition, flagship stores are not located in malls.

LOL; yes, Apple needs to wake up and start serving the millions of Metro Detroiters who use bikes to get around, and stop serving that pesky, inconsequential minority of car drivers...
    No they do serve them already. In three different malls. But why not serve Detroit, and its significant minority of transit riders, bikers, etc?

I live in Dearborn Heights, and have to go to Novi or Troy when I need to get my phone serviced. I would LOVE a store in Wayne County, especially downtown. If they are smart, they will have free parking nearby, and maybe a couple other nice boutique stores that Wayne County is missing?

Also consider location of existing Apple Stores

Novi/Twelve Oaks - northwest suburbs
    Troy/Somerset - northern suburbs
    Clinton Twp/Partridge Creek - northeast suburbs
    Ann Arbor/Briarwood - Far western burbs / Ann Arbor-Ypsi area

A downtown location would serve people in Downtown/midtown, Northwest Side, Southwest side, Near East Side, Grosse Pointe, Downriver, Dearborn and Western Burbs. It would be a 20 minute drive or less for well over a million people. I'm sure a good number of people have macs, and therefore will go to an Apple Store.

And yeah, If they can attract an Apple Store, I'm sure other chains would open up in/around Downtown. Most people leave the city to do their shopping, even on a daily basis. So there is lots of potential.

But of course, I have my doubts, due to sheer lack of foot traffic or existing retailers, and how Downtown is rather eerie after about 6 PM. We'd need a lot of new stores and residents to make it feel anything like the center of a function city [[which Detroit is not).

Apple has shown some savy in selecting and designing "downtown" locations.

There were Apple stores in the Philly suburbs for years before they opened last year on Walnut Street in Philly. That store is small compared to some of their destination stores like Boston, and the layout is not as open [[Apple said that the rash of mob attacks in center city was a concern), but they made it work, albiet with an armed guard.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Also consider location of existing Apple Stores

Novi/Twelve Oaks - northwest suburbs
    Troy/Somerset - northern suburbs
    Clinton Twp/Partridge Creek - northeast suburbs
    Ann Arbor/Briarwood - Far western burbs / Ann Arbor-Ypsi area

A downtown location would serve people in Downtown/midtown, Northwest Side, Southwest side, Near East Side, Grosse Pointe, Downriver, Dearborn and Western Burbs. It would be a 20 minute drive or less for well over a million people. I'm sure a good number of people have macs, and therefore will go to an Apple Store.

And yeah, If they can attract an Apple Store, I'm sure other chains would open up in/around Downtown. Most people leave the city to do their shopping, even on a daily basis. So there is lots of potential.
    this.

If downtown ever gets a good range of shopping, it is in very close driving distance to tons and tons of people, especially with the highways there.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast