Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Anyone heading to Mexicantown today for some enchiladas and tequila?

Cutting out of work and going to see los Tigres...and then Locos....bad food, good atmosphere.

I do not celebrate Cinco De Mayo because of these reasons:

1. It's a Mexican Revolution Day against the colony of France.

2. It's NOT an American holiday.

3. Americans celebrate it like its was St. Patrick's Day; going into bars and Cabana's to drink.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET!

I know that every celebrate Paczki Day and get those puff cakes, but we have gone too far of celebrating exoctic holidays that it has no meaning for other cultures.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I do not celebrate Cinco De Mayo because of these reasons:

1. It's a Mexican Revolution Day against the colony of France.

2. It's NOT an American holiday.

3. Americans celebrate it like its was St. Patrick's Day; going into bars and Cabana's to drink.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET!

I know that every celebrate Paczki Day and get those puff cakes, but we have gone too far of celebrating exoctic holidays that it has no meaning for other cultures.
    Danny, you can celebrate [[or not celebrate) the 5th of May however you want, but for many of us non-Mexicans, it's a good opportunity to take in some different cuisine and culture, and an excuse to drink while the sun is still out.

Over here in the Netherlands the fifth of May is the WWII liberation day.

Within Mexico, Cinco de Mayo is only celebrated in the state of Puebla, which is kinda interesting.

In the rest of Mexico, it's basically a non-event. It's interesting how this regional event has been co-opted into an American celebration of Mexican culture.

I'll wait until the weekend.. free comic book day is saturday!

Just another holiday promoted by bars/restaurants. Just like St Patricks day. They know people are vulnerable and given a lame reason to drink will do so.
    Ever notice how many bars are "Irish pubs" now??? All for that one drunk fest day!