Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Its Jeff Bench

Default Its Jeff Bench

Tree fell. No damage as far as I can tell.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Django; May-04-11 at 03:16 AM.

Is that etched into the stone? What company did you use?
    [[sorry off topic)

thankfully no damage from looking at these pictures. It is a shame how poorly kept the lawn is around it.

Lowell took care of the stone, Im sure he will respond shortly and let you know jcd.

Its quite a mud pit on the trail back there.

Django, you want to meet me there, I'll bring the chainsaw.

Ever since I've been on this site, I've always been curious about It's Jeff's Bench.

"Django, you want to meet me there, I'll bring the chainsaw."

I so admire this spirit. Recently I saw a news overage of neighbors on a street in Detroit bitterly complaining that a tree had fallen in their street and [[it was a week-end) no one from the City had come out to cut the tree up in three days of complaining. They called the media to complain.

I thought of my own childhood neighborhhood in Detroit. All the men and children on the street would have had the tree cut up and wood stacked and distributed in one evening.

When did it start that the City has to do everything or it doesn't get done?

If its before Thursday Gnome sure, or after the weekend.
    Can it be done tomorrow? Maybe we can get some help here.

Actually it doesnt look like that much work. Just cut it back so the trail is clear.
    Last edited by Django; May-03-11 at 03:13 PM. Reason: five o clock

Can't do it on the morrow and the wkend is honey-do hell, so next wk is fine. Doesn't look like it is going anywhere, so the need for haste is not apparent; how does next Tuesday work for you? I can bring some refreshments, and some charcoal and chicken so we can replenish ourselves post hacking. 5ish ok?

Thats a good plan Gnome. Tuesday.

What's a it's Jeff bench, if you don't mind me asking?

lilpup Guest

Jeff was a popular person on the forum. ItsJeff was his screen name. After he passed forum members contributed to buy the marker

Dave and I saw this on Easter Saturday. The tree simply rotted and fell, luckily not damaging anything. The ground is extremely soft, hence no heavy equipment can go in to clean it up.

Django and Gnome: Let us know how it goes.

This is one of those time flies things, but I didn't realise until I looked at the old thread that it's been over 4 years since Jeff's passing......

For those inquiring about ItsJeff, here are some ItsJeff classics:

Are We Going to War with Livonia?:
    http://detroityes.com/war.htm

The Way Way Back Machine:
    http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1137044460

Reading those old threads bring back a lot of memories and reminds me of how many forum members that were once very active that have left. It is a shame. Never forget ItsJeff.

Sadly, we've lost some other popular Forumers due to their passing... PSIP and BOBJ were 2 of them... they too are sorely missed...

I mean, whatever happened to Supersport, Jjaba, Czar, and so many others! Glad to see you are still very active, Gistok.

Dr. Emil Guest

Yeah, what happened to a lot of the old time forumers, Gistok? I have been reading this forum for years without posting so I don't any know forumers personally but have wondered what happened to a lot of the people that posted here for years and then suddenly stopped.

Well let's see Supersport still posts, but not as frequently as before... about Jjaba... I don't know... maybe The_Rock can answer that one? Citylover is back... I thought that Stlgasm from St. Louis started posting recently.... some folks now post "elsewhere"....

Rasputin appears to have disappeared from the radar... Brian is gone... Lmichigan is gone [[but folks have mentioned that he posts on other development related sites)... some folks just take a hiatus and come back... others never do...

22. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jcdfde5 View Post
    Is that etched into the stone? What company did you use?
    [[sorry off topic)
    Yes it is deeply etched into the boulder. I worked with a downriver company to etch and deliver the boulder and with a wonderful woman Alicia in Parks and Recs who pulled all the strings. The full names of both escape me now but I could look them up. ItsJeff's mother and family came up with the inscription and we added the link to DetroitYES so visitors could learn about this remarkable person.

JEFF COLBY

1964-2007

COMMITTED TO THE GREATNESS OF DETROIT

Click the ^link above to see the memorials.

Gistok---jjaba is still going strong in Portland, OR. I keep up with him, but that's not easy to do. He does a lot of traveling but has not been back to this area in quite a few years. I miss his posts, as he is a knowledgable guy, and still has a real soft spot in his heart for the city in which he grew up.

I see [[ read,actually) a lot of new faces on DS, perhaps a whole new generation. But I am happy to see that you and Gnome are still going strong along with AIW.

Wow, Rock, it's great to see you post again! You are one of the people from the past that I always enjoyed reading because of your Detroit knowledge. Try to come to the picnic on Belle Isle 5-29.

Stromberg2

I miss so many of the old posters. For awhile, there were so many people moving into the city and fixing up old houses. But that doesn't seem to be happening anymore. Everyone's moving out of state to find work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast