Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Police Department Announces New Community Safety Initiative

DETROIT POLICE DEPARTMENT ANNOUNCES NEW COMMUNITY SAFETY INITIATIVE

5/15/2009
    Detroit News
    DETROIT POLICE DEPARTMENT ANNOUNCES NEW COMMUNITY SAFETY INITIATIVE

The Detroit Police Department is launching its secure Web-based safety notification system called the Network Alert. This innovative crime prevention tool is an e-version of a neighborhood watch. The Network Alert will keep citizens updated on crime trends, missing persons, description of wanted persons, crime prevention tips, as well as additional alerts pertaining to businesses and the communities’ safety. The Detroit Police Department’s Network Alert is designed to inform citizens through e-mails, text messages and Web-published public safety notifications. This new initiative will also enable the public to view alerts via Google Maps from the comfort of their homes or anywhere internet service is available. Citizens will be able to respond to law enforcement’s alerts anonymously by submitting tips that may assist in the prevention of a crime and /or apprehension of a wanted individual.

“Many law enforcement agencies realize that we can not fight crime alone,” said Detroit Police Chief James R. Barren, Ph.D. “This new technology empowers citizens to get involved in the battle against crime as partners with their police department. Together, we will make a difference.”

The Network Alert is being provided as part of an on-going effort of the Detroit Police Department to help keep the public informed, promote awareness and build a safer community. Citizens interest in signing up for the Alert Network, should go to the Detroit Police Department’s Web site at http://www.detroitmi.gov/police/.

The Detroit Police Department discourages data users from performing comparative analysis between districts, neighborhoods, or any other division of the city based solely on the information provided in the Alert Network.

For additional information, please contact the Office of Public Information at 313-596-2200

It's a step in the right direction. May be more fluff than substance, but give 'er a shot.

Until they are able to come when you call them, everything they do will be fluff. When I leave Detroit, it will be because I can no longer pretend to feel safe.

I left Detroit [[after being a resident for 38 years) due to someone breaking into my home. They bypassed the security door and the main door to the home simply by picking locks. I didn't take the police anymore than fifteen minutes to arrive after I place the call, but the fact that someone could just enter my home as if they had a key, terrified me enough to pack up immediately and move to the suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    I left Detroit [[after being a resident for 38 years) due to someone breaking into my home. They bypassed the security door and the main door to the home simply by picking locks. I didn't take the police anymore than fifteen minutes to arrive after I place the call, but the fact that someone could just enter my home as if they had a key, terrified me enough to pack up immediately and move to the suburbs.
    How long ago was that?

I don't expect them to be able to prevent crimes like that. That can happen anywhere. What scares me is thinking they won't come when you call. Even if you are calling about general lawlessness, for instance, someone destroying public property. If they don't have the resources to come in a reasonable amount of time, or at all, it just makes criminals more brazen.

That breakin occurred January 20, 2009. The extra appauling thing about it is they carried my electronics out in a laundry basket.Maybe it can happen anywhere so I don't want to become to comfortable, to soon in my new environment, but the ironic thing is that was the first time, having lived in that home for only 5 years. My residence prior to that was only a few streets away and I had been there 34 years, never a problem.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    That breakin occurred January 20, 2009. The extra appauling thing about it is they carried my electronics out in a laundry basket.Maybe it can happen anywhere so I don't want to become to comfortable, to soon in my new environment, but the ironic thing is that was the first time, having lived in that home for only 5 years. My residence prior to that was only a few streets away and I had been there 34 years, never a problem.
    I dunno, maybe it's just me, but one problem in 40 years sounds like a pretty safe neighborhood. Is that really the only reason you moved?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    It's a step in the right direction. May be more fluff than substance, but give 'er a shot.
    That's exactly how I feel. A quick search reveals that there are a bunch of other cities who are using this service. I'm not totally sold on how effective it will be, simply because of the shortage of officers available to respond, but I don't see how it will hurt either.