Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Art or Trash?

Default Art or Trash?

Well watch it and post Your opinion... Art or Trash? ---->http://youtu.be/TwB6I5EohYc

The Guyton's work is art, your video is trash.

You add nothing to the discussion, provide no new insight to The Project and provide not a single artful frame to our collective understanding of what film/video can be.

Finally, I suggest you invest in a tripod.

I like the house with all the stuffed animals but I wonder what they look like after a very wet spring. And what they smell like. I think the abandoned houses look better with Guyton's touches than if they had been left alone.And I like the sunken car flower pot but flowers make anything pretty. Is it art? I guess if someone pays for it, it's art.

There is effort and intent so yes, this is art. good art or bad art? that's a matter of opinion.

It is art and it's good for the city. The Project has drawn visitors from all around the world, visitors who otherwise would never have ventured into the neighborhood.

GUSHI Guest

Art!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sullen dubbed in music, overcast day and knee jerk no tripod filming makes for a bad rep of what it is.

If youve been to Heidelberg St and or even met Tyree this wouldnt even be a question.

Didnt we have this debate in Detroit like 15 years ago?

I would like to know if you, MaxSpeed, considers the Heidelberg art?

I think Tyree has the thought that we can create beauty out of whatever we have at hand. Detroit may have a lot of trash but there is beauty and art in that if put in the right context.
    Last edited by Django; May-02-11 at 04:27 PM. Reason: five o clock

What Django said :-)

Coleman Young famously [[or infamously) said something to the effect of: It's art when it's in someone else's neighborhood and it's trash when it's in yours.

Yes I think it's Art.... Title is set up so we create conversation . I met Tyree , I also know there is a lot of critics, that's why I named this thread like that... Some people need to relax in these forums...

When you bring weak work here and ask for opinions, you should expect opinions. What makes you think that just because you took pictures of Detroit, that you deserve praise? Sub-standard work output may be fine at the world headquarters of Maxspeed Media, but round here you have to do something good if you want praise.

Try keeping things in focus, cut your piece with anything other than that mallet you are using now, cut on a beat, think of internal frame motion and composition, improve your musical taste...

You want positive feedback, do something - anything - right. I suffered through three of your snuff-film-quality efforts and was not able to see anything in them that deserved praise.

They are so bad, I want my time back. Your work defines sub-standard and asking people - perfect strangers mind you - to waste their valuable time, is just plain rude. Rude like farting in an crowded elevator, rude like terrible b.o. , rude like challenging Larry Flint to a foot race.

You want relaxed discussion on the general merits of your work don't bring junk.

Tyree would be pissed if he saw this!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    When you bring weak work here and ask for opinions, you should expect opinions. What makes you think that just because you took pictures of Detroit, that you deserve praise? Sub-standard work output may be fine at the world headquarters of Maxspeed Media, but round here you have to do something good if you want praise.

Try keeping things in focus, cut your piece with anything other than that mallet you are using now, cut on a beat, think of internal frame motion and composition, improve your musical taste...

You want positive feedback, do something - anything - right. I suffered through three of your snuff-film-quality efforts and was not able to see anything in them that deserved praise.

They are so bad, I want my time back. Your work defines sub-standard and asking people - perfect strangers mind you - to waste their valuable time, is just plain rude. Rude like farting in an crowded elevator, rude like terrible b.o. , rude like challenging Larry Flint to a foot race.

You want relaxed discussion on the general merits of your work don't bring junk.
    YIKES!! Looks like someone needs a vacation.....

Maxspeed, I noticed that you're new here. Please don't let the "warm" DYES.com welcome scare you off. If you stick it out for a while you'll see we're not all grumpy asshats.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; May-02-11 at 10:58 PM.

The expression goes "If you can make it here you can make it anywhere". Of course they were talking about NYC but it might as well apply to Detroit. It's as tough a market as it is a city. I'm okay with the video and I consider Tyree Guyton an artist. Certainly what he's done on Heidelberg St. can be considered controversial but a lot of art is. To inspire conversation is what a lot of artists strive for. I believe MaxSpeed was looking for commentary on Tyree's work and not so much on his video talent. Somehow this thread seems to have evolved to something a little more sinister. This situation rears it's ugly head more times in this forum then I can count. Detroit Yes has turned into Detroit No.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2028 View Post
    I believe MaxSpeed was looking for commentary on Tyree's work and not so much on his video talent. Somehow this thread seems to have evolved to something a little more sinister. .
    Since Mr. Maxspeed's writing is as clear as his filmmaking, you are believing in something not in evidence. Did he intend to spur discussion on street art, or his lensing of it? All we know is what he asked, "Well watch it and post Your opinion... Art or Trash?" and from those words you divine meaning? How?

As far as sinister turnings, 'faid not, the so-called filmmaker asks for opinion. Opinion he got. This ain't t-ball sunshine, not everyone gets a trophy for just showing up.

He wastes my time, insults the city with sub-poor work, insults Guyton, insults this forum and now he wants to chill?

How low are your standards?

To quote gnome "He wastes my time". That's classic ! How much time do you have ? How much time can you keep responding in a negative manner ? Egads apparently you have a lot of time to waste. Lucky you. Youtube is chock full of videos of varying degrees of talent. I think most people post their work to share with others and for a little fun. MaxSpeed don't be dismayed. I know a lot of people who monitor this forum but will not post anything because of the negative feedback. " Detroit where the weak are killed and eaten". Sad but so very true for a city that has such high standards.

Sorry MaxSpeed, didnt mean to come off as pissy. Ive posted much worse, and caught my due shit for it.

Take Gnome with a grain of salt, hes actually a big sweetie.

I don't pay attention to people like gnome, one of those individuals that cry about everything. You can cry about the quality of the vids as much as You want, and still not get the reason for me posting it. Simple creature.... Some people are miserable in real life, so they unload their stress on the forums.... it's so common these days . So gnome, please enjoy Yourself , reply , typing more hate , I'm sure it will make You feel better.....

Since Mr. Maxspeed's writing is as clear as his filmmaking, you are believing in something not in evidence. Did he intend to spur discussion on street art, or his lensing of it? All we know is what he asked, "Well watch it and post Your opinion... Art or Trash?" and from those words you divine meaning? How?

As far as sinister turnings, 'faid not, the so-called filmmaker asks for opinion. Opinion he got. This ain't t-ball sunshine, not everyone gets a trophy for just showing up.

He wastes my time, insults the city with sub-poor work, insults Guyton, insults this forum and now he wants to chill?
    How low are your standards?
    Jesus, Gnome...I think I'll make a note of your moniker, and keep a watchful eye
    on this forum for your posts. Aren't you being a tad bit harsh? I think people with
    'less than professional' video's trying to make a point are just fine. Maybe you're
    trying to impress us with your 'knowledge' of video formatting...or maybe you have
    something particularly personal against 'maxspeed'....or MAYBE you're just an
    anal idiot, whatever....get over yourself, and try to just comment on the point
    being made. Can you do that, or do you need a 'time-out' ?
    Ps.
    I agree with what C.Young supposedly said. I think it's Art, but I wouldn't want it
    in my neighborhood, and definitely NOT next door to my house.
    But I for sure think it's Art.
    The problem is, there is so much 'trash art' in and around Detroit, by sooo many
    artists, that T. Guyton's art, and message, gets diluted and sometimes convoluted.
    That said, Gnome.....no hard feelings...just please relax...for all our sakes.

What Gnome doesnt kill ya makes you stronger..

Quote Originally Posted by MaxSpeed View Post
    I don't pay attention to people like gnome, one of those individuals that cry about everything. You can cry about the quality of the vids as much as You want, and still not get the reason for me posting it. Simple creature.... Some people are miserable in real life, so they unload their stress on the forums.... it's so common these days . So gnome, please enjoy Yourself , reply , typing more hate , I'm sure it will make You feel better.....
    Well, it is nice to know we can add psychologist to the list of things you know nothing about. By my count the list includes filmmaker, art critic, social commentator and grammarian . I'm confident you can add to that list; please continue.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreddy View Post
    Ps.
    I agree with what C.Young supposedly said. I think it's Art, but I wouldn't want it
    in my neighborhood, and definitely NOT next door to my house.
    But I for sure think it's Art.
    The problem is, there is so much 'trash art' in and around Detroit, by sooo many
    artists, that T. Guyton's art, and message, gets diluted and sometimes convoluted.
    Agreed. Good point and good comments.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Sorry MaxSpeed, didnt mean to come off as pissy. Ive posted much worse, and caught my due shit for it.

Take Gnome with a grain of salt, hes actually a big sweetie.

really? because he can come off as a bit of a ......... at times.

ferntruth Guest

Well, it is nice to know we can add psychologist to the list of things you know nothing about. By my count the list includes filmmaker, art critic, social commentator and grammarian . I'm confident you can add to that list; please continue.
    Seems to me he hit the nail right on the head, especially considering your response.

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    really? because he can come off as a bit of a ......... at times.
    Yeah, I know, he does.
    You have to meet him at a picnic, if your lucky a hug will break all animosity you've ever had, friendship ensues.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast