Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit's Jamawn Woods wins reality show with Soul Daddy concept

BY SYLVIA RECTOR
    DETROIT FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

In an emotional finale, Detroit's Jamawn [[Jay) Woods’ Soul Daddy restaurant concept beat out two other competitors Sunday night to win NBC’s “America’s Next Great Restaurant” reality series.

Woods, 34 — whose fulltime job is driving a forklift at Chrysler’s Sterling Heights assembly plant — had been running a part-time catering business from his home, making chicken wings and waffles for friends, and became a contestant almost by accident after a network scout saw his food photos on Facebook.

Three locations of his restaurant are scheduled to open Monday in New York City, Minneapolis and Hollywood.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011050...text|FRONTPAGE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From yesterday, here's a little more information:

Detroiter up for restaurant show prize

BY SYLVIA RECTOR
    DETROIT FREE PRESS RESTAURANT CRITIC

Forklift driver Jamawn [[Jay) Woods of Detroit finds out tonight whether he can quit his second-shift job at Chrysler's Sterling Heights assembly plant and launch his own restaurant chain as the winner of NBC's "America's Next Great Restaurant" reality series.

If he wins, the program's four celebrity judges will personally fund the opening of three locations of his fast-casual Soul Daddy restaurant, serving a healthy twist on soul food that began as a chicken-wings-and-waffles concept.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011050...ant-show-prize

I wonder if he will eventually open one of his restaurants in Detroit?

hopefully the 3 stores will be successful with a flexible menu, and hopefully an outlet will eventually open in Detroit, midtown or downtown..

He spoke fondly of Detroit throughout the show, I think he would open up in Detroit soon.

I watched this show, from afar, and hope to eat at a location soon. Detroit would be a logical 4th choice, and I hope he opens it soon. Healthy Soul Food, I loved that concept all the way thru the season. Jamawn, you rocked!!