Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Self Checkouts Disappearing

I've noticed in the past month, those awful self checkout machines are going away faster than they came.

I hated them. Half the time they were malfunctioning, and double bagging large items in that tiny little table was awkward....especially with the machine saying "item misplaced in bagging area." Lately, I've walked into renovated Walgreens and CVS stores to find new checkout counters with people behind them. My stuff is double bagged efficiently and my sale goes through without technical glitches.

I could care less if I have to pay $7 more a year for human cashiers. I'm happy to know people are being employed and I'm getting good customer service. Good riddance to those damn machines!!

This is a good place to say again: just because we have the technology does not mean we have to use it.

YaY, for the anticipated reduction of robo-cashiers! I use human-operated checkouts whenever possible. When using the self-checkout at a place like Meijer, I invariably need a live cashier to 'fix' something - usually screwy stuff like the robo-checkout's refusal to accept my scanning in 3 of an item. I can blip 2 through but the computer voice then tells me to wait for assistance when I try to do the 3rd. This ticks me off because it's most often a product being sold in 3s, like 3 12-packs of Coke for $11. SIGH.

I would rather have a person ringing up my purchases any day of the week. When they're nice, that's a bonus. When they're not, that's a personal challenge to see if I can make 'em smile [[and I almost always can).

While I understand the complaints about the "robo-cashiers", I hope Home Depot keeps theirs. It's very convenient when I need to go there just to grab a few things.

The self scan systems work like this....

You have to use these things as if you only have one arm...

One arm takes one item out of the cart, scans it, and places it in the bag. If you grab 3 or 4 yogurts.... thinking you can scan them 1-2-3-4... think again... the place where you put your items in a bag is actually a scale [[or a carousel of scales). It expects the 1 item just scanned to be placed into the bag [[on the scale) before it will allow you to scan the next item [[it calculates the cummulative weights of each scanned item). That's the way it works. If you deviate from that "weighed-one-at-a-time" methodology... you will be needing assistance....

Perhaps they should have handed out brochures with tips on using these self checkouts.

Wolverine... I understand your feelings about the loss of workers... but just look at how technology has worked in the past.... self serve gas stations are gone... replaced by 1 cashier inside the gas station.

By the same token, if you get a carryout restaurant meal [[say Chinese)... are you depriving waitresses and waiters from their jobs and tips? And direct dialed calls... think of all the telephone operators out of work because you now have touch-tone and other convenient features.

I like to use the self-scan because I get in and out of a store FAST. I hate waiting in long lines.

As for the elimination of the self scanners... the only places I go to that has them... Kroger and Meijers...they still have them.

I have never seen them at smaller retailers. None of the Walgreen's, CVS or Rite Aid's I've seen in metro Detroit had them.... maybe Chicagoland was a test market.

But they appear to be a success in the larger retailers.
    Last edited by Gistok; May-01-11 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The self scan systems work like this....

You have to use these things as if you only have one arm...

One arm takes one item out of the cart, scans it, and places it in the bag. If you grab 3 or 4 yogurts.... thinking you can scan them 1-2-3-4... think again... the place where you put your items in a bag is actually a scale [[or a carousel of scales). It expects the 1 item just scanned to be placed into the bag [[on the scale) before it will allow you to scan the next item [[it calculates the cummulative weights of each scanned item). That's the way it works. If you deviate from that "weighed-one-at-a-time" methodology... you will be needing assistance....

Perhaps they should have handed out brochures with tips on using these self checkouts.

Wolverine... I understand your feelings about the loss of workers... but just look at how technology has worked in the past.... self serve gas stations are gone... replaced by 1 cashier inside the gas station.

By the same token, if you get a carryout restaurant meal [[say Chinese)... are you depriving waitresses and waiters from their jobs and tips? And direct dialed calls... think of all the telephone operators out of work because you now have touch-tone and other convenient features.

I like to use the self-scan because I get in and out of a store FAST. I hate waiting in long lines.

As for the elimination of the self scanners... the only places I go to that has them... Kroger and Meijers...they still have them. I have never seen them at smaller retailers.
    Brochures won't help. My Walgreens serves 10,000 residents in a 6 block area, and we've all used them at least 100 times to pick up milk, juice, and cereal. The problem was they were just glitchy. One or two would always be broken down. I also had to strategically bag my items since I carry them home. Eventually they just shut off the scale so it wouldn't give that bagging error....but that meant they couldn't keep track if items were actually being scanned.

I also don't think they were fast either. They had 4 machines and people were still waiting in line as customers struggled to double bag their items. They ended up sending customers back to photo or cosmetics to pay. Now they have 4 employees at check out, the same number of machines. With them handling the bagging, and me handling my credit card payment, the whole process is cut in half, so I'm not certain you could justify the self checkouts as time saving.

As for carryout chinese....just order for delivery. I tip extra because they have to take an elevator ride up to my apartment....an elevator called by staff at the front desk. Some jobs disappear by technology, but others remain where its a matter of convenience.
    Last edited by wolverine; May-01-11 at 08:31 PM.

I so hope this is true.

If a customer injures themself at a faulty self checkout machine, can they collect workman's compensation? Doubt that.

It's a blatantly obvious ploy by businesses to shed their labor burden onto the backs of their own customers. I'd rather patronize businesses that step up to the plate and earn their profits by contributing to commerce instead of trying to get something for nothing at the expense of both their employees and customers.

Self checkout is social engineering at its worst.

No, I'm not a member of any bag-boy union but I doubt proponents of this abomination can successfully deny that they're a member of the Parasitic Saboteurs In Power.
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-01-11 at 09:19 PM.

I love the self checkout for small purchases.

I hope Home Depot keeps theirs.
    I don't. I'm tired of walking to the ends of the store to get to the Garden Center or the Contractor aisle to get to a cashier.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I've noticed in the past month, those awful self checkout machines are going away faster than they came.

I hated them. Half the time they were malfunctioning, and double bagging large items in that tiny little table was awkward....especially with the machine saying "item misplaced in bagging area." Lately, I've walked into renovated Walgreens and CVS stores to find new checkout counters with people behind them. My stuff is double bagged efficiently and my sale goes through without technical glitches.

I could care less if I have to pay $7 more a year for human cashiers. I'm happy to know people are being employed and I'm getting good customer service. Good riddance to those damn machines!!
    Yes, yes, yes. There's only one self check out that I like. It's at a nearby grocery store. And it's monitored by a woman I've known for 40 years. She shuts it up and moves people along quickly and efficiently. Other than that - they're a pain in the ass - especially when they start talking. I'm quite surprised there haven't been any firearm incidents involving someone shooting the damn things. I've been tempted quite a few times myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I so hope this is true.

If a customer injures themself at a faulty self checkout machine, can they collect workman's compensation? Doubt that.

It's a blatantly obvious ploy by businesses to shed their labor burden onto the backs of their own customers. I'd rather patronize businesses that step up to the plate and earn their profits by contributing to commerce instead of trying to get something for nothing at the expense of both their employees and customers.

Self checkout is social engineering at its worst.

No, I'm not a member of any bag-boy union but I doubt proponents of this abomination can successfully deny that they're a member of the Parasitic Saboteurs In Power.
    Once upon a time you'd walk into your local general store and tell the clerk behind the counter what you wanted to buy. They'd find it on the shelves behind them and put it in your sack. At some point that system changed to self-serve and now we are forced to wheel carts up and down isles, selecting our own merchandise. It may have been a "blatantly obvious ploy by businesses to shed their labor burden onto the backs of their own customers" but I actually like it better than what I imagine it would be like to tell Mr. Whipple everything I want and wait for him to fetch it from some shelf.

I like having the option of self-scan. But like roundabouts, all too often other users gum up the works for those who know what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    I like having the option of self-scan. But like roundabouts, all too often other users gum up the works for those who know what they're doing.
    LOL...gotta agree... those self scanners talk to the customer a lot [[some people feel too much talking)... but what they're doing is telling you exactly what you MUST do in order for you to avoid assistance... when the voice announces "please place the scanned item into the bag"... it's not doing so to be chatty... but because you must follow these explicit instructions until you're up to snuff about the usage of these scanners... or you will become frustrated when it doesn't work they way you expected.

People naturally have a tendency to second guess or even ignore the voice instructions... and that's what causes the problems. If you follow the voice instructions to the tee... you won't have a problem....

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    This is it pretty much it exactly. There are certain stores I go to more often now rather than others because I know they have self checkouts that I have no problem using and are faster.

The technology is fine. It's the daft users that can't follow instructions that are primarily the problem.

Also the CVS on Warren near Woodward had self checkouts last I saw. Haven't been around there in over a month though.

It's hard to put things in the bag that don't fit.

bartock Guest

Many folks don't know what they are doing, and some folks will use it despite having 40 items...ignoring signs that are supposed to deter that.

It is about 50/50 now that when I'm at the HW Kroger on Vernier it is faster to use a staffed check out line versus the self check out line.

DetroitPole Guest

I think the first two posts in this thread are spot on. I've expressed my hatred for the things in the past, but as people correctly point out, we have made other job-eliminating changes in the past such as ATMs and virtually everyone uses them.

As several people point out, they are helpful for small purchases. I understand, especially at these big box stores where people stock up on supplies like the world is ending, when you need to grab some rubbers or beer and get the hell out of there, I can see why one would use them. In this way, they clearly simplify the process for some people.

However I think Gistok actually illustrates how counter-intuitive these things are. You essentially need an instruction manual to perform a task that you're PAYING THE COMPANY TO HAVE AN EMPLOYEE DO FOR YOU. You are effectively working for the store, except not collection a wage. I'm incredulous at the people hefting giant things onto big rolly coveyor belts and bagging their own groceries. What a bunch of lemmings!

Of course, despite these wonderful inventions, I sure haven't noticed a drop in grocery prices, have you? Hell no. The profits are passed along to the company, while they can shed jobs and make you do the work.

It's going to be the same with this item-pricing law repeal. Let me know when you see a "reduction in prices" or "better customer service" as our evil overlord has promised. The same goes for the drop in business taxes...that's another story though...

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    While I understand the complaints about the "robo-cashiers", I hope Home Depot keeps theirs. It's very convenient when I need to go there just to grab a few things.
    They work great at HD. You can practically use a bill that a dog gnawed on and it will still take it. I've never had a problem there.

The ones at Meijer are terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    LOL...gotta agree... those self scanners talk to the customer a lot [[some people feel too much talking)... but what they're doing is telling you exactly what you MUST do in order for you to avoid assistance... when the voice announces "please place the scanned item into the bag"... it's not doing so to be chatty... but because you must follow these explicit instructions until you're up to snuff about the usage of these scanners... or you will become frustrated when it doesn't work they way you expected.

People naturally have a tendency to second guess or even ignore the voice instructions... and that's what causes the problems. If you follow the voice instructions to the tee... you won't have a problem....
    You completely missed the point while explaining your logic: Not all logic is the same. This is about annoyance. They may be telling me exactly what to do, but I've experienced them not acknowledging me doing exactly what they've said. Computers are programmed by different people, companies and programs. So their logic differs. Like the difference between a Mac and a PC. If you go to three different stores there might be three different scanner programs so they react and talk to you differently. I've noticed differences in machines in one store when they upgrade or install new. At three AM I'm not concerned with computer logic, I'm concerned with purchasing my few items and getting out the door. The machines do not always act the same and I don't always follow their instructions. Get an attendant over and quick. PS: never trust the amount of money they give back to you. In my experience they shortchange you. A few times - a lot, more often a little. Is it logical? Is it a test?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    I think the first two posts in this thread are spot on. I've expressed my hatred for the things in the past, but as people correctly point out, we have made other job-eliminating changes in the past such as ATMs and virtually everyone uses them.

As several people point out, they are helpful for small purchases. I understand, especially at these big box stores where people stock up on supplies like the world is ending, when you need to grab some rubbers or beer and get the hell out of there, I can see why one would use them. In this way, they clearly simplify the process for some people.

However I think Gistok actually illustrates how counter-intuitive these things are. You essentially need an instruction manual to perform a task that you're PAYING THE COMPANY TO HAVE AN EMPLOYEE DO FOR YOU. You are effectively working for the store, except not collection a wage. I'm incredulous at the people hefting giant things onto big rolly coveyor belts and bagging their own groceries. What a bunch of lemmings!

Of course, despite these wonderful inventions, I sure haven't noticed a drop in grocery prices, have you? Hell no. The profits are passed along to the company, while they can shed jobs and make you do the work.

It's going to be the same with this item-pricing law repeal. Let me know when you see a "reduction in prices" or "better customer service" as our evil overlord has promised. The same goes for the drop in business taxes...that's another story though...
    What I've been doing is calling for a price check on items not clearly marked either individually or in bulk, or even not buying questionable items. If that doesn't get someone out to check the price for you, take it to the register and if the price isn't what you'd expected, just ask them to set it aside. Enough of that occuring and they might get the idea. Especially with perishable items. Some stores have prices down so low and so obstructed you can't see them. I don't have a family to shop for at this point in life so it's probably easier for me.

I will use them ONLY if I get a 15% reduction in the price of my purchased goods. Why in the fuck should I do the job at the place where I shop? What in the hell ever happened to service? What ever happened to the customer beign the customer? Now I have jto be both an employee with no wages or benefits and I still have to pay for my goods? We are suckers!

IMO, The only machine more likely to stop working with no one willing or able or available to get it going is the bottle return. And yes, some stores seem to have very reliable ones but most have one of three or four operating at any given point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I will use them ONLY if I get a 15% reduction in the price of my purchased goods. Why in the fuck should I do the job at the place where I shop? What in the hell ever happened to service? What ever happened to the customer beign the customer? Now I have jto be both an employee with no wages or benefits and I still have to pay for my goods? We are suckers!
    Love that idea of getting a discount for using them.....also unrelated...we need a LIKE button on this site

Funny how the self bottle return works pretty well [[ Yeah, I know all about the problems w/ them too!) but not the self check out. It took some practice, but I can breeze though pretty quick now, with only a few mess ups. The worst is waiting for an old geezer [[any one older then me) to count out pennies at the regular check out. I think the G'ment should take over Big Food and it will all be free! Rich people [[any one who makes more then me) can pay higher taxes to support it. Young people [[any one younger then me) will be excluded to keep the shelves stocked for the truly needy [[nobody but me) so there will still be plenty for the regular paying shmoes [[every body but me).

I think they're fine if used with a little bit of common sense. If I'm at Meijer and I've got five types of fruits and vegetables, I'm not going to bother with them because entering the codes and all that is a pain and I haven't done it enough to be efficient at it versus a cashier who has most of the codes memorized and has repeated the process enough times. But if I've got four yogurts and a gallon of milk, I think I can end up completing my order than I would standing behind someone with twenty items in the fifteen items or less lane who is going to argue over an expired coupon, doesn't have their wallet ready at the end of the order and oh by the way can I get two boxes of Marlboro Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by DocTerry View Post
    IMO, The only machine more likely to stop working with no one willing or able or available to get it going is the bottle return. And yes, some stores seem to have very reliable ones but most have one of three or four operating at any given point in time.
    Excellent point. And I believe stores purposely neglect the bottle return areas to discourage their use. Less money they put out for deposits.

Like clockwork, I go to the Kroger on 9 Mile Road every other Sunday when they open. I have a whole basket full of items that I scan and when the system fails, a clerk that has been standing there chit-chatting with me while I scan, comes to my assistance. Every week I would complain to her that I think I should be able to have her pension and an employee discount for doing the work as she supervises me! Each week I complain to the person at the front counter [[they told me the lady that starts the regular registers doesn't come in until 7am!), the clerk at the "self checkout" and finally I had enough. I wrote to Kroger's and rec'd a call from the store manager at my store. He said that there is someone there that can check me out EVERY SHIFT. He didn't know there was issue until it was brought to his attention. [[Real nice guy. Glad I wrote the letter.) NOW, I go to the front counter before I checkout and ask for a human being...with no resistance, someone magically appears to assist! Voila! Ask and ye shall receive.[[otherwise, they are hiding in the back!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast