Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default COBO may be coming back.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009
    Senate ready to give Detroit City Council another chance at Cobo

Karen Bouffard / The Detroit News

Lansing -- Detroit City Council would get another chance to keep the North American International Auto Show at Cobo Hall beyond 2010 under a package of bills expected to be introduced in the state Senate today.
    The three-bill package would give City Council the first pass at approving a deal identical to the one that they rejected earlier this year. If it fails again, Oakland County would be able to direct tobacco revenue to its building authority, which potential sites could apply for to expand their facilities to host the auto show. The show brings as much as $600 million in business to the state.
    Senate spokesman Matt Marsden said the bills are ready to be introduced, and that could happen as early as this morning.
    It's uncertain whether the council would approve the plan, if given another chance. One additional vote would be needed in addition to a yes vote from former interim Mayor Kenneth Cockrel, who is back as president of the Detroit City Council.
    The Senate commerce and tourism committee is expected to hear testimony on the plan Wednesday, and it could possibly move out of committee as early as Thursday.
    kbouffard@detnews.com [[517) 371-3660

© Copyright 2008 The Detroit News. All rights reserved.

In other words, a bill is being introduced in the senate today to use state funds to double the size of Rock Showplace

Triple it. They've said they need 1 million square feet and Rock Financial is around 300,000.

Angry Dad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    In other words, a bill is being introduced in the senate today to use state funds to double the size of Rock Showplace
    Well if the council doesn't want to see that, at least one vote will need to change.

What a great way for Monica to "stick it to" LBP. Even if it means she will sign away the "jewel".

It is obvious that it is intended as a threat to Detroit. Lets just hope it works...

It's no going to happen. Kwame Kenyatta will not support it, b/c he feels like a gun is being put to his head.

Stosh Guest

Aw crap. I thought that someone figured out how to ressurect the old geezer. Al would just love this mess, I'd bet.

From what I heard from Local 4 News it looks like Novi will have the Auto Show after all.
    Detroit City Council members who voted against it will NOT change their minds even Kwame Kenyatta is voting against it. Wow, this is letting you know how DUMB the city council is.

Congrats Rock Financial!!!!!

Two comments:

1) I hate ultimatums. I find ultimatums to be insulting because you are attempting to strong-arm. That said, the state of Michigan is once again attempt to strong-arm Detroit. Granted, I am in support of a regional group running Cobo. In this day of age, Detroit doesn't have the tax base to manage things like Cobo on their own. I am not in support of a group of politicians in Lansing telling Detroit "it's are way or the highway." The deal was voted down, go back to the drawing board. If the state feels that the money should go to Novi then fine which lead to the second comment.

2) I really don't care anymore about the Auto Show. If the Auto Show stay in Detroit or leave for Novi or Chicago or Beijing, I could care less. We are in a time where the auto industry that built Detroit and its suburbs is sinking in the Detroit River. We got plants on the verge of closing, dealerships decreasing, and jobs being lost every day. Families are on the brink of losing everything and we are crying about a show representing an industry that is shrinking. To paraphrase Ivan Drago, "if it leaves, it leaves."

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Two comments:

1) I hate ultimatums. I find ultimatums to be insulting because you are attempting to strong-arm. That said, the state of Michigan is once again attempt to strong-arm Detroit. Granted, I am in support of a regional group running Cobo. In this day of age, Detroit doesn't have the tax base to manage things like Cobo on their own. I am not in support of a group of politicians in Lansing telling Detroit "it's are way or the highway." The deal was voted down, go back to the drawing board. If the state feels that the money should go to Novi then fine which lead to the second comment.

2) I really don't care anymore about the Auto Show. If the Auto Show stay in Detroit or leave for Novi or Chicago or Beijing, I could care less. We are in a time where the auto industry that built Detroit and its suburbs is sinking in the Detroit River. We got plants on the verge of closing, dealerships decreasing, and jobs being lost every day. Families are on the brink of losing everything and we are crying about a show representing an industry that is shrinking. To paraphrase Ivan Drago, "if it leaves, it leaves."
    1) Ditto

2) Ditto

DetroitDad Guest

Which Downtown Detroit hotels and hot spots do you think will close because of this? I don't care about the Auto Show/Cobo either, but I do care about many of the places that depend on Cobo. You'll notice I use Cobo and Auto Show interchangeably, that's because few of the smaller shows are going to still want grandmother's pearls when Oakland County is offering the Hope Diamond for the same price.

COBO is NOT a city jewel, Downtown is. We need to keep as much as possible in Downtown Detroit in order to keep it valuable.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; May-19-09 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Which Downtown Detroit hotels and hot spots do you think will close because of this? I don't care about the Auto Show/Cobo either, but I do care about many of the places that depend on Cobo. You'll notice I use Cobo and Auto Show interchangeably, that's because few of the smaller shows are going to still want grandmother's pearls when Oakland County is offering the Hope Diamond for the same price.

COBO is NOT a city jewel, Downtown is. We need to keep as much as possible in Downtown Detroit in order to keep it valuable.
    I agree with you Dad. I want Detroit to come alive and keep what it has in Detroit. Right now, Detroit doesn't not need a legislature bullying the city to take a deal it has already rejected. The state needs to start from scratch and repair the cracks that killed the deal in the first place. I do not want Cobo to become the next Depot but there are rules how this works. Throwing out ultimatums is just going to create a backlash that puts city vs. suburb and state.

MIRepublic Guest

So, this is exactly the same deal, but with an "or else" threat attached to it? The show is going to be at Cobo, or it's going out of state; period.

DetroitDad Guest

I agree with you Dad. I want Detroit to come alive and keep what it has in Detroit. Right now, Detroit doesn't not need a legislature bullying the city to take a deal it has already rejected. The state needs to start from scratch and repair the cracks that killed the deal in the first place. I do not want Cobo to become the next Depot but there are rules how this works. Throwing out ultimatums is just going to create a backlash that puts city vs. suburb and state.
    Yeah, I really agree about ultimatums. What really worries me is that the council seems to have no idea what Downtown Detroit is. Detroit in it's entirety used to be the region, now it is part of a region. Downtown Detroit really is a hodge podge of different things that support business and an environment that people want to live and do business in. In order to maintain the hodge podge, Downtown Detroit needs to keep certain elements, and right now Downtown Detroit is facing the loss of Cobo, reduced events at Hart Plaza and Campus Martius, and problems with GM staying at the Renaissance Center. Basically Downtown Detroit is facing losing it's entire South anchors aside from Joe Louis Arena. If that happens then it will have huge affects on businesses in Bricktown and the Financial District, closing some and making Downtown that much less desirable to live near or in.

Aside from that, most of the other cities in our region would kill just to have the regional jewel of Cobo in their backyards, or a Downtown area as desirable as Detroit's, yet they were willing to let Detroit not only keep Cobo, but buy into a new version, a Hope Diamond, something Detroit couldn't afford on it's own. The council had a chance to have a real jewel in Detroit, and they are choosing to give away Cobo to Novi instead.

the auto show would be a joke if it were at "rock showplace" in Novi, mi.

i mean, come on. why would a major international auto show be hosted in Novi of all places, or Oakland county in general for that matter. Can you imagine? Consider:

Think about press and visitors coming to such a place. It will be the entire region that would be laughing stock of the world, not just Detroit.

Not only is there no transit connection to the airport, there is not tranist what so ever!

The walkability to get to nearby hotels is akin to taking a long hike.

New hotel would probably have to be built that would only be occupied once a year.

So I just think a suburban convention center is out of the question. It is Detroit or another major city such as Chicago. We need an expanded convention center at Cobo. And a rail connection from Downtown to the airport is very important, could be make or break for bringing major conventions here.

And rename Cobo, because Mayor Cobo was one of the worst mayors EVER. Right on up there with Kilpatrick. I say, name it Hazen S. Pingree Convention Center [[Pingree Center for short), after THE IDOL OF THE PEOPLE. But that is just me. After all, the name is irrelvant if it's never exanded. And Cobo and and the Downtown district will be crippled without it.

Detroit blows Novi out of the water with hotels, unique restauraunts, history, culture, and urbanity. It is dynamic and diverse. Novi is boring, sterile and homogenous. It could be Novi, IL or Novi, IN, or Novi, OH, or Novi, NY and no one would even know the difference. It looks just like any other suburb built at the same time [[1980s-present). Detroit is one of a kind, and nothing really compares.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    the auto show would be a joke if it were at "rock showplace" in Novi, mi.

i mean, come on. why would a major international auto show be hosted in Novi of all places, or Oakland county in general for that matter. Can you imagine? Consider:

Think about press and visitors coming to such a place. It will be the entire region that would be laughing stock of the world, not just Detroit.

Not only is there no transit connection to the airport, there is not transit what so ever!

The walkability to get to nearby hotels is akin to taking a long hike.

New hotel would probably have to be built that would only be occupied once a year.

So I just think a suburban convention center is out of the question. It is Detroit or another major city such as Chicago. We need an expanded convention center at Cobo. And a rail connection from Downtown to the airport is very important, could be make or break for bringing major conventions here.

And rename Cobo, because Mayor Cobo was one of the worst mayors EVER. Right on up there with Kilpatrick. I say, name it Hazen S. Pingree Convention Center [[Pingree Center for short), after THE IDOL OF THE PEOPLE. But that is just me. After all, the name is irrelvant if it's never exanded. And Cobo and and the Downtown district will be crippled without it.

Detroit blows Novi out of the water with hotels, unique restauraunts, history, culture, and urbanity. It is dynamic and diverse. Novi is boring, sterile and homogenous. It could be Novi, IL or Novi, IN, or Novi, OH, or Novi, NY and no one would even know the difference. It looks just like any other suburb built at the same time [[1980s-present). Detroit is one of a kind, and nothing really compares.
    Are you kidding? Novi and Oakland County have been wracking their brains on how to get a walkable downtown like Detroit or Ann Arbor naturally has. There is no question in my mind that this will be incorporated into a Fountain Walk type development with hotels and some sort of shuttle transit.

In a way this is kinda sad. Kinda like an old couple having to move out of a house they can't keep up. While talking with one of my Aunts she was telling me that back in the 60's there was a push to get Belle Isle into the metro parks system. The mayor or council rejected that plan because the city did not want to lose control over it. I myself don't attend the NAIS that much any more, Yet I still go to AutoRama. After this years deal with the leaky roof and other things,It got me thinking that if Cobo did have some competion things might change.

Novi isn't Detroit. Most convention attendees want to go to an urban area. Their first preference is not a suburb. But when compared to the mess that is Cobo, a lot of people who plan conventions will give Novi a chance.

"Think about press and visitors coming to such a place. It will be the entire region that would be laughing stock of the world, not just Detroit.'

The international press has managed to make it out to Auburn Hills every time the Pistons make the NBA Finals and none of them have written about that experience mocking AH or their experience.

"Not only is there no transit connection to the airport, there is not tranist what so ever!"

True.

"The walkability to get to nearby hotels is akin to taking a long hike."

True. Shuttle services would get a workout.

"New hotel would probably have to be built that would only be occupied once a year."

Not true. The Rock Financial already has plans for a hotel. It's close to an interchange and close to Providence Hospital and many businesses in the area. There's enough business to support a hotel in that location besides conventions.

"Detroit blows Novi out of the water with hotels, unique restauraunts, history, culture, and urbanity."

We have some great restaurants in Novi. That comments shows that you probably haven't been to Novi or if you have, you haven't been outside of 12 Oaks Mall. But it's not Detroit. No one in Novi claims it is.

"Novi is boring, sterile and homogenous."

Our politicians get arrested just like the Detroit ones.

"Detroit is one of a kind, and nothing really compares."

The problem for Detroit is that the Cobo experience is "one of a kind" and "nothing really compares" but no one says that in a positive way.

The state needs to start from scratch and repair the cracks that killed the deal in the first place.
    Members of the CC talked about not being opposed to regional control, but just about every word out of their mouths was the antithesis of RC. They want regional money, but they still want to run it as they see fit.

Monica Conyers and a few others were talking about using stimulus money or money from Lansing to repair Cobo. That's not looking for a regional solution. In her mind Detroit owns it and no one is going to steal it from them. When they have an "It's ours" attitude about it there's really nothing to renegotiate, hence the take it or leave it deal.

MIRepublic Guest

That may have been the original problem, but when you have members that formerly voted for it scoffing at this 'new' proposal, it's quite clear to me that Bishop isn't coming to anyone in good faith, here. It's really kind of easy to see why they'd scoff; this isn't a 'new' deal, at all, and on top of that, it has blatant threat attached to it. This is hardly anyone being magnanimous; what it looks like, to me, is someone playing politics just as some on the council were, because they know that no one likes to be threatened. They know that they, themselves, don't respond to these kind of threats in the legislature.

One can guess at what the Senate's motives are in giving them the same deal + theat; one doesn't have to guess what the motives aren't. The motive obviously isn't to deal in good faith with the municipal body knowing full well legislative bodies of any shape, size or level don't usually respond positively to threats. The Senate would have been better off simply putting together a proposal to try and expand Showplace than to offer this disingenuous 'last try' to the city council. Right now, they are wasting good time with this stunt.
    Last edited by MIRepublic; May-20-09 at 06:26 AM.

If people come to Michigan for an international event, do we believe they are not going to want to come to Downtown Detroit's entertainment venues and restaurants? I believe they will. I believe they will also still go over into Windsor.

I also believe that Detroit could successfully upgrade Cobo without an expansion and market it to smaller events.

I also believe Oakland County taxpayers are going to be in for a rude awakening as to what it costs behind the scenes to keep a major convention center going.

What I wonder is, what do Oakland County taxpayers think about public money expanding a private facility? Especially the Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    Members of the CC talked about not being opposed to regional control, but just about every word out of their mouths was the antithesis of RC. They want regional money, but they still want to run it as they see fit.

Monica Conyers and a few others were talking about using stimulus money or money from Lansing to repair Cobo. That's not looking for a regional solution. In her mind Detroit owns it and no one is going to steal it from them. When they have an "It's ours" attitude about it there's really nothing to renegotiate, hence the take it or leave it deal.
    Who are we kidding? This take it or leave deal has to be voted by the legislature and if passed signed by the governor who more than likely will veto the deal. Why couldn't Bishop revisted the deal after a new city council is seated in January? Why strong-arm this city council who already turned down the deal? Why not let Bing do his job and acquire support for a regional controlled Cobo? Why the grandstanding?

For those who are arguing little things about Rock. Rock was never designed to be something the magnitude of Cobo. In order for it to become larger than Cobo [[and stay on one level) it would take up the entire site it now occupies. This would mean filling in Wetlands and removing retention basins. The project will require an Environmental Impact Statement and would have serious issues that would need to be mitigated. Another huge problem with the site involves transportation. Currently, the roadways in the area are jammed and cannot handle the traffic that is there now. During smaller events held at Rock, the roads gridlock for periods of time as it is. How can the Hospital nearby be effective in treating emergency cases if this happens? It can't. Where would you put the cars? Sure you could bus people to the site, but the cars would need to go somewhere. I can't see a benevolent mall owner allowing most of his spaces to be used while his renters cannot get their patrons in the malls. Besides, parking is a major revenue producer for a place like the Rock, and they will not give up parking because it will mean lost revenue.

If this gets caught up in EIS and DNR permitting, it could take years for it to even get resolved. If OC is serious, they should look at another brownfield such as an old Factory site in Pontiac or maybe the Silverdome. Better street networks to distribute traffic, public bus service, not as many environmental issues. Rock would not like the competition being that close to them and would put up a fight. Its okay in their minds for Rock to steal shows from Detroit, but this facility will steal shows from Rock.

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it. Besides, auto companies are shinking rapidly. You don't need to expand Cobo, just tweak it and maintain it better.

Here's the problem. If the auto show moves to " White Detroit's Far Northwest Side" I mean The Rock Financial Showplace in Novi, people would have to drive their cars out to see new concept cars. There are no public transportation for those who don't have a car to see the new cars. There might be public shuttles for those who don't have a car. Millions of dollars of revenue money will be at " White Detroit" Oakland County instead at " Black Detroit". L.B. Patterson may get his wish after all. The Detroit City Council must stop playing with themselves and start voting to have regional authorities take over and fix up Cobo Hall. This event is more tham singing a old 19th Century church hymn " Onward Chrstian Soldiers!" like they all putting the Lord your God into a test in which Jesus said, "Don't do that, you're teasing my Father! Praise him in spirit and in truth."

Detroit needs to regionalization in order to survive. THIS IS THE MOTOR CITY! and the suburbs are the AUTOMATION ALLEY. Detroit still and always will be leading the production of automoblies to the end; even though Chrysler and General Motors are going bankrupt and the many of its dealerships are closing their doors for good. We need to keep the North American International Auto Show in Detroit forever. It doesn't matter how it takes to do it. I would like to see all of Detroiters and suburbanites to fight the city council to approve the Michigan Legislature's proposal. Or else IT'S THEIR ELECTION YEAR when their names will NOT be the Detroit City Council office doors.

Lorax Guest

I guess what's going to get lost in all of this, is should the Cobo deal get straightened out, and the auto show stays put, when a renovation/expansion gets underway, can we please hire Giffels Associates, who were the original architects of the place to renovate it?

The butchering of the facade in the 80's needs to be stripped away, and the original configuration restored incuding the floating glass room above the porte cochere, and the seven white marble buttresses that supported it.

Then push the expansion out the back, up, whatever. Demo JLA and expand there if necessary.

Since the cheap granite rubix cubes were installed on the facade, and the even cheaper strip mall plastic COBO lettering hung up, it has the look of just that, a suburban strip mall.

And can Marshall Frederick's indian and canoe fountain be placed outside again so we can all enjoy it?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast