Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Layton confirms support for DRIC

If Mr. Moroun was hoping for any reversal of his fortunes on the Canadian side, he can seemingly forget it.

Jack Layton, leader of the surging NDP Party in Canada, has confirmed support for the DRIC project. His party has moved into 2nd place ahead of the fading Liberals and is closing on the ruling Conservatives, who also support DRIC, as the Canadian election campaign heads toward Tuesday's election.

It is interesting the Canada's fractious left, which has allowed Conservatives to rule with under 40% of the vote, may be deciding to give the NDP a chance. Most interesting is that Bloc Québécois voter are peeling off toward the NDP. Were it not for the nationalist issue they would be natural allies as they share many of the same values.

Could there be a big upset on Tuesday's national election? While it is a long shot I would like to hear some opinion by the Canadians on the board on how such a turn of an events could effect Windsor, long an NDP stronghold, and Canada as a whole.

I dont know about Windsor Lowell, but there is a real panic for the Liberals and the Bloc candidates and even some card carrying members of the Bloc are supporting Layton without joining the Party per se. Ignatieff just doesnt cut it for most canadians coast to coast. The Liberal Party has a recent history of corruption that it cant shake. I hope Harper doesnt come in with a majority government.
    Here's a picture I took in the posh riding of Outremont earlier today. Mulcair is the only NDP MP in Quebec. His Bloc opponent is a 28 year old ice cream shop owner.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't think you're gonna hear to much from us Windsorites, Lowell. I think we might pay more attention to American politics than our own, lol!

Sorry I don't have a better response for you. Our gov' flip flops so much, I don't know what the hell is going on. We're gonna get that bridge though.

Layton is nothing more than a typical career politician. But he is more in tuned with a greasy used-car salesman. His pandering, especially in Quebec, is galling!

Looking at his "economics" [[I'll use that term lightly) is nothingmore than staggering. In fact mostthink-tanks believe his plan would be disastrous for Canada in ways that may take a decade or more to fix should he make his "coalition" gov't. Nice coalition gov't by the way with the separatist Bloc Quebecois...how is that going to work?

Sorry but the only way to put a nail in this coffin of coalition is for a majority Conservative gov't. At the very least our Armed Forces deserve it don't they? I mean how long do our pilots need to fly 30 year old planes where more than 50% of them are left on the ground at any one time due to insufficient parts not being available. Absolutely pathetic!

I thought I would add. I guess he needs to jump on the DRIC platform considering his party voted against BOTH the new crossing AND the auto bailout. But according to Masse, he and the NDP did it all. What a crock of steaming, watery diarrhea.

6. Default

It's official. Canada has majority government for the first time in seven years as the Conservatives captured a majority of seats in Parliament even though they got only 40% of the votes.

It was a remarkable night that saw the rise of NPD to official opposition, but whose late surge was not enough to stem a Conservative majority, and saw the destruction of the Bloc Québécois and a historic diminishment of the Liberals who were reduced to their lowest levels ever and saw their leader lose his seat.

However it should provide a true minority opposition situation as opposed to the mild centrist Liberal opposition. Of course, by American Standards, even the Conservatives are the equivalent of centrist 'blue dog' Democrats in a country where all parties are to the left of the American Republican Party.

Big question... is this the de facto end of the Quebec nationalist movement and that the French are accepting that they will remain a part of Canada?

No matter what good luck to Canada, a great country that we in Detroit are so blessed to have as peaceful and prosperous neighbors.

As for DRIC it appears to be win-win.

It's scary how millions of people can just jump on the bandwagon and flip flop in the last two weeks of a campaign. People who had no clue about NDP policies suddenly decided they liked Jack's moustache and voted NDP. The irony of course is that the end result was a right wing Conservative majority government. So you now have a country polarized with a left wing opposition and no moderate centre. As a Conservative voter, I'm glad these folks got what they deserved.

I don't think that the separatists are done yet. In fact Jack has opened up a HUGE can of worms with his constitutional talks. I wouldn't be surprised if the PQ doesn't come in huge during Quebec's next provincial election. Then they can talk and threaten the rest of Canada as usual. Layton, if he wants to become PM will grease up the separatists so that he can hold on to his seats in the next election [[in 4 years).

The next 4 years will have so much BS in politics, I will ignore most of it because it will be pure posturing [[Jack is the king of that).

I think the Liberal loss might actually humble a few of them. Perhaps they should bury their slogan "Canada's natural governing party" because it reeks of elitism.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Perhaps they should bury their slogan "Canada's natural governing party" because it reeks of elitism.
    Ooo the comedians must be lining up to hit that one out of the park. That's the problem of letting your bark get bigger than your bite.

I am not ready to write the Liberals off. I remember the Conservatives getting knocked down lower than this ass-kicking and now they are ruling for 11 years. Rumor is that this now opens the door for Justin Trudeau who reportedly has all the smarts, connections and certainly all the good looks and glamor of his old man. Their recent dour and bumbling leadership needs a jolt.

Also notable in the election was the first elected Green Party member. [In BC of course, Canada's California].

It was a strange election- the new Tories are "Reformers" in disguise- it will be interesting to see how much we tilt to the right- we know for sure they will come down hard on crime and punishment- loks like we se more de-regulation in the business sector- would love to see more competition in the cel phone and internet connectivity arenas- in any case we have at least four years of Harper's majority- Layton will have to move to centre- don't think Justin Trudeau is ready for prime time- Bob Rae was considered a bad leder for the Liberals as he defected from the NDP but now may be palatable- strange days indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Ooo the comedians must be lining up to hit that one out of the park.
    This is Canada we are talking about. They won't get that reference. You would have been better to write, "Ooo the comedians must be lining up to put that one through the five hole."

What is wrong with Reformers Walkerpub? The liberals stole most of their economic plan througout the 1990s from them. They sure as heck are better than the "Alliance" ever was.

Liberals once again want a messiah and they are looking at either Bob "the knob" Rae or Trudeau. I laugh at Trudeau because what has he attained? What has he done? Nada!
    They think because he is the son of the bastard himself [[P E Trudeau) he will have all of his so-called glory. Yet the Liberals will do anything for power.

Here's hoping to them being decimated in Ontario come Oct. 6 election.