Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Dan Gilbert continues on “Webward”

Daniel Duggan

It started with just a few mentions in press releases, but Dan Gilbert's use of the word "Webward" to reference a portion of Woodward Avenue appears to be growing.

For a little background, he started using the term to refer to the growing collection of tech-oriented companies in the Campus Martius area of Detroit.

It started with Compuware. Then Marketing Associates, then Galax-E Solutions and then Quicken Loans Inc. and its group of affiliated companies.

There certainly is a growing roster of tech companies in that area.

And Gilbert appears to be serious about using the Webward name.

Most recently I found it in the Wayne County Register of Deeds office.

Most investors use a limited liability company to purchase real estate. Gilbert's recent acquisition of the Chase Tower in Detroit was no different. The seller, Gary Torgow, used 611 Associates LLC as the name for the building, which is at 611 Woodward Ave.

Guess what name Gilbert used?

Look up the title work for Chase Tower and you'll find 611 Webward LLC.

So it got me going. Where else is "Webward" popping up?
    Online? Yep.

A quick search of domain name ownership showed someone at Quicken lays claim to at least four Webward websites, none of which are active yet. The URLs webwardavenue.net, webwarddetroit.com, webwarddetroit.info and webwarddetroit.net are all filed under the name Justin Paul, who has a quicken loans email address.

Continued at: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...OG08/110429926

I like it! A tech hub in the heart of Detroit...

lilpup Guest

Tech hub? Fine. "Webward"? NO!

Glad to see that the clever name is picked out and the domain names are locked down. Hopefully these guys know who to talk to and what to do in order to attract tech companies to the Detroit area. Tech Bubble 2.0 is on the way and it would be nice for some of that cash to flow towards Detroit. Silicon Valley's VC spigots are back on for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Tech hub? Fine. "Webward"? NO!
    I say let him call his company anything he wants to just as long as its providing jobs and a base for building spin off business.

I would have gone with Woodweb.
    Or maybe Woodwebward?
    Wowebodward?
    Woodwawebrd?

The whole thing sounds goofy to me.