Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Royal Wedding

For those of you who don't know, I am the 8th cousin twice removed of Diana, and, thus, the 9th cousin thrice removed of William. I've estimated that I am the 397,865,352nd in line for the throne. Of course, thanks to that silliness of George III back in '76, I should have to decline if offered.

If you are unable to rise at 4 am to see the proceedings tomorrow morning, I attended the dress rehersal for the event and took the attached video. Please enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav0F...layer_embedded

LOL... great one Ray..... they got Princess Anne, Camilla, and William and Harry spot on!!

Not sure about the Archbishop of Canterbury though.... and Westminster Abbey was rather short for a 515 ft. long church.... but I got quite a chuckle....

For those of you who don't know, I am the 8th cousin twice removed of Diana, and, thus, the 9th cousin thrice removed of William
    And they didn't even invite you?

Very cool, but I was hoping to see Mr. Bean. If this hockey game I'm watching goes about 7 overtimes I may be up to see the start of the wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    And they didn't even invite you?
    Aw, I'm sure the invitation got lost in the mail somewhere.

My uncle owns a Burger King, I get the crowns free.

I gotst my own throne. White 'n shiney 'n makes a cool ba-whoosh sound.

Actually Mr. Bean is invited and here's a photo of him before the wedding
    Attachment 9581

I'm NOT watching the Royal Wedding Show! Prince William and Princess Kate Middleton are NOT my masters. The U.S. is away from the monarchy!

Let England watch their fairie tale wedding come true. I hope their wedding will last and I will pray for them and their families. [[Let William and Kate become the King and Queen of England by 2030)

I'm NOT watching the Royal Wedding Show! Prince William and Princess Kate Middleton are NOT my masters. The U.S. is away from the monarchy!
    Yes, we all know that. Still fun to watch anyway.

I'd rather watch the Royal Wedding then more loser celebrity shows with idiots like Kourtney,and Kloe, or Donald Chump.

At least the House of Windsor has historical significance.
    Last edited by Detroitej72; April-29-11 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    Actually Mr. Bean is invited and here's a photo of him before the wedding
    Attachment 9581
    Mr.Bean rules! If Kate gives William a hard time of it would she be considered a Royal Pain In The Ass?

The Royal wedding was a fine excuse for a celebration. There may be still some symbolic use for a royal family. During WWII, the Danish King rode his bicycle about in Copenhagen wearing an armband with a six pointed star which Nazi occupiers had ordered Jews to wear. Seeing this, some other Danes did the same to provide some cover for Danish Jews.

I prefer Princess Mette-Marit and Berkeley educated Prince Haakon of Norway to the British royals. Under Norwegian law, the King or Queen may marry Norwegian commoners without giving up their line of succession. Both Prince Haakon's mother and wife were commoners. Princess Mette-Marit entered her royal marriage with an illegitimate son. She has since had a daughter and son by the Prince. Norwegian law also allows a daughter to become Queen when firstborn. English rules only allow a royal daughter to become queen when no sons are available.
    http://personales.ya.com/fororeal/haakonmette.jpg
    Prince Haakon and Princess Mette-Marit with her illegitimate son at their wedding.

The British Royal Family: The ultimate welfare queens [[and kings).

Total waste of money.

Total waste of network airtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Yeah, better to give the air time to the Donald. Besides, 4AM is hardly prime air time.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Total waste of money.

You're probably not familiar with how the Brits make a bundle off of royal events, are you? Not only tourist dollars [[hotels, restaurants and B&Bs do a booming business)... and then there's the souvenirs.... you've likely got all the major UK potteries making royal momentos from fine bone China with wedding images, down to keychains and other knick-knacks. Lots of money made during these royal festivities.

The whole wedding party could die in a ghastly carriage accident for all I care.

"British? Didn't we kick their keisters out of here a few centuries ago?"

lilpup Guest

Yeah, that whopping 1.12 per person they cost their taxpayers just breaks the bank, doesn't it? That's a pretty cheap price for the entertainment.

Filthy rich freeloaders and I'm supposed to adore them? They can go get stuffed.

Detroitnerd....

Have you seen the PBS show THE ROYAL FAMILY AT WORK.... [[1st of 7 parts)....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyg0-...eature=related

No such thing as retirement for them...

Regardless of their palaces and castles [[they retired the yacht)... they do spend an enormous amount of time working... and not just a 9 to 5 life.... [[although spending August at Balmoral in the Scottish Highlands, and Christmas at Sandrimgham is a nice perk).... but they do generate an enormous amount of money and PR for Britain...

And even if they weren't living in the royal residences... they'd have to be maintained by a large staff anyway. And their 100 acres of greenhouses [[at Windsor) and their landed estates produce all the food that they use at royal banquets and daily life [[unlike the White House, where everything has to be brought in purchased).

Do check it out.... that way you don't come off as sounding [[as the Brits say).... "dead common".

Gistok...I so enjoy your wealth of knowledge!

I put the whole thing on DVR, then skipped over the boring commentary parts. But I love to watch the pomp and circumstance of royal activity with all the history that feeds into how it's done. The Abbey is beautiful to look at...and the wedding is probably the closest I will ever get to it.

Just for Detroitnerd- Royal Wedding Re-runs!

Duke of York 1923:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v36LiBNhzpo

Princess Elizabeth 1947:

http://youtu.be/EKnyzWAkmAc

Princess Anne 1973:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L4naTYriFM

I successfully avoided the recent Charlie Sheen stunts and I intend to duplicate that success with this topic.

lilpup Guest

But The Donald sucked you in, hasn't he?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast