Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Councilwoman Jenkins

Where is Councilwoman Jenkings during the City budet hearings. Reports have her on vacation in the Carolina's. How dare she go on vacation during this critical time. Bring in the Financial Manager, and dismiss this council.

She also had [[until this week) a murderer on her staff. I guess she finally let him go.

She doesn't seem to be a good decisonmaker. Not a positive addition to the Council, IMO.

DetroitPole Guest

When is not a critical time for the City of Detroit nowadays? In the past 30 years for that matter?

She could have picked virtually any time to go on vacation and someone would find a reason to burn her at the stake.

I'm not her biggest fan by any means, but I wish someone would take an even-handed approach towards these people - who are JUST PEOPLE.

I know we are used to having idiots on council, even a majority of idiots, or a couple really loud idiots, but they are mostly decent people this time around. I suspect race has a lot to do with it. Franky, suburban councils can be just as insane if not worse in their behavior but they don't get the press because they're not in big cities.

And no, I don't like Charles Pugh or JoAnn Watson. I think they're a couple who need to be watched closely and deserve ample criticism. However I feel like Saunteel Jenkins could jaywalk and people here would be screaming for her imprisonment.

Good G-d, don't you people take vacations? I'm taking one next month to the Carolinas. Thanks G-d I'm not on Council.

I think people are rightfully wary of Jenkins because of her long, close and continued relationship with Kwame Kilpatrick and Christine Beatty. If you publicly proclaim that the two of them are among your best friends, you can expect some close scrutiny.

Also, her long-term relationship with Gill Hill that laid the foundation for her job working for Maryann Mahaffey - who she said she was chief of staff for [[that is a question!).

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    When is not a critical time for the City of Detroit nowadays? In the past 30 years for that matter?

She could have picked virtually any time to go on vacation and someone would find a reason to burn her at the stake.

I'm not her biggest fan by any means, but I wish someone would take an even-handed approach towards these people - who are JUST PEOPLE.

I know we are used to having idiots on council, even a majority of idiots, or a couple really loud idiots, but they are mostly decent people this time around. I suspect race has a lot to do with it. Franky, suburban councils can be just as insane if not worse in their behavior but they don't get the press because they're not in big cities.

And no, I don't like Charles Pugh or JoAnn Watson. I think they're a couple who need to be watched closely and deserve ample criticism. However I feel like Saunteel Jenkins could jaywalk and people here would be screaming for her imprisonment.

Good G-d, don't you people take vacations? I'm taking one next month to the Carolinas. Thanks G-d I'm not on Council.
    It's not G-d....it's God.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    It's not G-d....it's God.

Not if you're Jewish you ignorant prick

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post

The most important thing that City Council will do this year is deliberate and make budget decisions. The whole point of recessing after the budget is presented is to provide the Council Members ample time to read and go through the budget. In the past, the one time of year one could always catch a Council Member, their staffs, or division staffs in the office was during the period of time when the budget was first presented and its eventual adoption. Vacations at this time seemed to be unheard of. Every Council Member really needs to be on their job right now. They'll have an additional three months of accumulated recess time that will be taken, which is more than enough. No excuses, she needs to have her ass in town working, right now, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    She also had [[until this week) a murderer on her staff. I guess she finally let him go.

She doesn't seem to be a good decisonmaker. Not a positive addition to the Council, IMO.
    Dude get your facts right. He didn't murder anyone. He is accused of beating up his girlfriend and attempted murder. The attempted murder charge will be dropped. She fired him as soon as she found out about the charges against him. No one on her staff knew about the charges. Saunteel is a positive addition however she does have some personal issues that I wished she didn't have.

Not knowing much about her I went to her website. http://www.saunteeljenkins.com/

I guess she's just been too busy helping to make the city better to actually update things. It certainly can't be that once elected she has coasted, can it?

That isn't true. She never liked King Kwame. They went to highschool together and she didn't like him then. As for Christine, yes they were very good friends until Christine started working for King Kwame. Christine and Saunteel have a big falling out because of KK>

Glad to have you setting the record straight, MikeinMotown. I thought they were "best friends" until Jenkins wanted to run for council. I thought Jenkins distanced herself then to make herself look better and Christine was already gone, anyway. Glad to know I was wrong all along.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinmotown View Post
    That isn't true. She never liked King Kwame. They went to highschool together and she didn't like him then. As for Christine, yes they were very good friends until Christine started working for King Kwame. Christine and Saunteel have a big falling out because of KK>

Was this falling out before or after Jenkins was drinking, driving and crashed her vehicle over by the old John King bookstore where an innocent victim was left trying to figure out why the person [[Jenkins) that crashed into his car and wrecked it was subsequently rescued by the Police and Christine Beatty and taken away from the scene of the accident?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinmotown View Post
    As recently as the last campaign she was still claiming friendship with Kilpatrick. She also worked for him as treasurer for one of his early campaigns. But you're saying she got mad at CB when she started working for Kwame?

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...dates_try.html

From the article:

Saunteel Jenkins: Jenkins went to Cass Tech High with Kirkpatrick and his Chief of Staff Christine Beatty. She also worked as treasurer during his campaign for state legislator. In 2002, a drunk driver hit Jenkins' car and she had a passerby call Christine Beatty who, along with Kilpatrick, rushed to the scene.

Jenkins doesn't deny she was friends with Kilpatrick dating back to high school, but says she didn't even vote for him because "I didn't think he was ready to take that step."
    Last edited by Motor City Sam; April-28-11 at 03:19 PM.

[QUOTE=DetLiving;241982]Where is Councilwoman Jenkings during the City budet hearings. Reports have her on vacation in the Carolina's. How dare she go on vacation during this critical time. Bring in the Financial Manager, and dismiss this council.[/QUOTE]

Because they're Black and you don't like them?

I got a good laugh tonight. My mother works with Friends of Belle Isle, and has been securing donations for the clean-up this weekend. One councilwoman she has been waiting to hear back from is Jenkins. The guy that called her back last week, yet she hasn't been able to contact all week is Isiah Lawson. I informed her there is a reason he has not called her back.

Saunteel Jenkins had a mess to work with and sort out when she took office, so give her a break. Saunteel Jenkins has been very good to me and she is a good person with a big heart. I worked under her at Mariners Inn. She was my supervisor and she treated Detroit's most underserved and forgotten population [[homeless) with dignity and respect. I love that woman and I will always believe in her.

[QUOTE=1KielsonDrive;242186]
    Quote Originally Posted by DetLiving View Post
    Where is Councilwoman Jenkings during the City budet hearings. Reports have her on vacation in the Carolina's. How dare she go on vacation during this critical time. Bring in the Financial Manager, and dismiss this council.[/QUOTE]

Because they're Black and you don't like them?
    I don't know you, so I'll try not to make assumptions. Where does it say in that quote
    that they're reason for they're criticism is because they're BLACK!!
    My God!! Every time a [[presumably white) person criticizes someone in this city's
    government....suddenly EVERYBODY is a racist. You're black, or African American,
    or whatever you choose as your classification....GET OVER IT!!!
    Is it everybody's fault that this city is over 90% African American, and so that is who happens to commit the majority of the mistakes/crime...what have you?
    Guess what...the bar has been set by Detroit's recent political/financial past,
    and the players involved. This shit wasn't just 'made-up' man.
    It is a citizens right/duty to question our leaders, otherwise the same mistakes,
    crimes, atrocities, will continue again, and again.
    How did that right become just about race. Check yourself, and your 'race card'
    at the door please, thank you, goodbye.

[QUOTE=JohnnyFreddy;242202]
    Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post

I don't know you, so I'll try not to make assumptions. Where does it say in that quote
    that they're reason for they're criticism is because they're BLACK!!
    My God!! Every time a [[presumably white) person criticizes someone in this city's
    government....suddenly EVERYBODY is a racist. You're black, or African American,
    or whatever you choose as your classification....GET OVER IT!!!
    Is it everybody's fault that this city is over 90% African American, and so that is who happens to commit the majority of the mistakes/crime...what have you?
    Guess what...the bar has been set by Detroit's recent political/financial past,
    and the players involved. This shit wasn't just 'made-up' man.
    It is a citizens right/duty to question our leaders, otherwise the same mistakes,
    crimes, atrocities, will continue again, and again.
    How did that right become just about race. Check yourself, and your 'race card'
    at the door please, thank you, goodbye.
    Your response says more about racial attitudes [[yours?) than anything I said. "I'll try not to make assumptions". At least mine were up front.

[QUOTE=1KielsonDrive;242244]
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreddy View Post
    Your response says more about racial attitudes [[yours?) than anything I said. "I'll try not to make assumptions". At least mine were up front.
    Well, for one thing, you didn't come right out and say you were black...
    but your comment certainly lead me to believe it was so. I was merely trying to be
    polite. However, your rudeness and prejudice is so blatant, no more need to be
    said than the point I've already made. Spell 'race card' over and over again,
    until you understand it's implications and it's futility in the real world.
    That philosophy will get none of us here in Detroit anywhere, other than
    where we've already been.
    Good luck.

[QUOTE=JohnnyFreddy;242246]
    Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post

Well, for one thing, you didn't come right out and say you were black...
    but your comment certainly lead me to believe it was so. I was merely trying to be
    polite. However, your rudeness and prejudice is so blatant, no more need to be
    said than the point I've already made. Spell 'race card' over and over again,
    until you understand it's implications and it's futility in the real world.
    That philosophy will get none of us here in Detroit anywhere, other than
    where we've already been.
    Good luck.
    Agreed. You need say no more if that is the way you feel. However, I will continue to say whatever I like.

Actually the real reason CB and Jenkins fell out was because Jenkins was sleeping w/ Gill Hill and was telling him things about KK's campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by 313hero View Post
    Actually the real reason CB and Jenkins fell out was because Jenkins was sleeping w/ Gill Hill and was telling him things about KK's campaign.
    Normally, this is when I would say prove it. But there's no need because I happen to know that it's true. You have some good info.

Nevertheless, just to get back on topic for a moment, the voters really need her doing her best work regarding this budget.

And that young woman then in her 20's was sleeping with an old married man 40 years her senior [[for whom she worked, I believe) and telling him secrets just for love!!!

I think we have here a great insight into the desire to "serve" that drove Jenkins into politics from her altruistic work in the privite sector, and insight into what we can expect from her.

Heh, it worked for Monica.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast