Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Anyone been watching "Treme" on HBO?

The second season just began this past Sunday, cool show brought to you by the folks that gave us the "Wire"-- What television drama is capable of, when given a little creative room.

What did you think so far. I watched a few episodes of last season because Im a huge fan of The Wire but wasnt all that impressed. Does it get better?

It's a matter of personal taste, of course. Treme is not as gritty or even as edgy as "The Wire" but it grew on me. I would say the story and the characters are a little more average, more everyday than "wire" but I think the main story of how hurricane Katrina turned/flipped the lives of some ordinary people is central to the development of the plot-- So it moves slow at first, but builds nicely about halfway through. The show gets some chops from me for heavily featuring the New Orleans sound: Of today, as well as the traditional sound of yesteryear-- Maybe something a guy with the handle of "Django" might be interested in?

The show also gets into the whole "black Indian" thing-- Which when I was a young man traveling about New Orleans, I saw some tribes, but didn't understand what I was seeing-- Now I know a little more, so cool.

Several sub-plots dovetail nicely together, unrelated characters cross paths, which is what you'd expect from the writers who brought us such tight plot lines like the "wire". Also you can even without too much of a stretch see some parallels between Detroit and New Orleans in regards to the similar problems they both face, albeit from different sources-- Maybe why Bing wanted to visit "The Big Easy" eh?

Anyway, Treme, just like the Wire gets a big nod from me-- And I think season 1 is just now out on DVD, so maybe give it a rent-- You might grow to dig it.

Good show, incredible music. Half of the cast of the Wire and Deadwood in it, what's not to like?