Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default The Brodhead Armory is being looted as we speak

The Brodhead Naval Armory on Jefferson is home to one of Detroit's largest WPA art work, including murals, wood carvings, and plaster carvings. You might remember from last year the plaque outside being ripped out of the wall - now it's happening inside too. A recent walk-through showed that scrappers have begun removing things of value including light fixtures and decorations.

As recently as a few days ago a friend of mine reported that scrappers were working in there removing things.

I've tried to contact the city. I've sent emails to Preservation Wayne and the Detroit Area Deco Society but haven't heard anything back yet. I would have secured the place myself but its a metal door that is open and I don't have the tools / knowhow.

What can be done? Who needs to be contacted? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is DEPLORABLE!

You would think the Dossin Maritime Museum would be willing to protect these artifacts.

Scrappers = distruction of cultural history of Detroit.

I can't believe that woodwork like that isn't preserved. It actually makes me sick to my stomach.
    WTF!

Why the surprise? Hasn't there been 2 threads this week with forum members feeling "urban explorers" should be treated with leniency?

call the Police.

I recall reading here recently that the commander at Selfridge filed had offered to take on the Armory as a project, but I think he never heard back from Mr. Bing.

Kev, there is a huge difference between urban explorers and scrappers.
    I've explored dozens of vacant buildings in this city and never removed any light fixtures or ornamental metals. Your comment is a total red herring.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I can't believe that woodwork like that isn't preserved. It actually makes me sick to my stomach.
    WTF!
    Preserved for what, by whom, and for what purpose? The armory is a purpose built structure that outlived its purpose and there is evidently no one interested in retrofitting it for any new use. What should have happened is there should have been some sort of sale of the items that could be removed and the building should have then been leveled. At least some Condos in Chicago could purchase their nice adornments legally this time and it would have been an dignified end to the building. Instead it remained standing, intact and barely secured and with no plan past the desperate hope that there might be an interest in using it for something...someday. So in typical detroit fashion, it's scrapped and destroyed and will suffer an ignominious death by a thousand cuts. And when it's beyond any hope of repair after 10 or 20 years of watching it get gang raped by scrappers day in and day out, detroitists will rally to hug the building and stand in the way of it's demolition because one day there might be light rail on jefferson and the armory would make great street level retail.

Call George Jackson. He'll make sure it's fully demolished and the site is cleaned up after the scavengers got their pickings.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Preserved for what, by whom, and for what purpose?
    I'm not talking about the building. I really don't know anything about it. I'm talking about the beautiful woodwork just in those few photographs. I was a woodworker/woodcarver for many years. To see those doorways with their ornate woodwork being ruined by moisture and neglect, does turn my stomach.
    Tear the schitt down, I don't care, but save that beautiful woodwork.
    I can't even believe the photos I saw in another thread with the books piled up on the library floor.

I sure feel sorry for your dull and uncultured existence.

Other cities can make sure of their historical structures while keeping their history alive, why can't Detroit?

http://www.armoryonpark.org/index.php/about_us/

Preserved for what, by whom, and for what purpose? The armory is a purpose built structure that outlived its purpose and there is evidently no one interested in retrofitting it for any new use. What should have happened is there should have been some sort of sale of the items that could be removed and the building should have then been leveled. At least some Condos in Chicago could purchase their nice adornments legally this time and it would have been an dignified end to the building. Instead it remained standing, intact and barely secured and with no plan past the desperate hope that there might be an interest in using it for something...someday. So in typical detroit fashion, it's scrapped and destroyed and will suffer an ignominious death by a thousand cuts. And when it's beyond any hope of repair after 10 or 20 years of watching it get gang raped by scrappers day in and day out, detroitists will rally to hug the building and stand in the way of it's demolition because one day there might be light rail on jefferson and the armory would make great street level retail.

I sure feel sorry for your dull and uncultured existence.
    My life experience is not now nor has it ever been tied to Detroit.

Other cities can make sure of their historical structures while keeping their history alive, why can't Detroit?

http://www.armoryonpark.org/index.php/about_us/

Because Detroit has been abandoned by the people that appreciate such things.

I have no idea how the interior is set up, but it's too bad the nearby UAW headquarters can't utilize this building for some kind of meeting space. Or it can't be integrated somehow into Gabriel Richard Park and some sort of interior space for events. It seems like it might be a fitting terminus for one end of the Riverwalk....though I'm not sure what it could be used for.

Probably saving it is not a concern of the City government because someone kept slaves there or something. That's been the rationale in the past for neglect/demolition of Detroit's historic structures.

Fucking animals.....fucking city!! There is something to be said about what SWMAP said. It's controlled neglect.

Stromberg2

ferntruth Guest

I'm not sure how this can be happening, I thought the magical prayer walk made Detroit an Eden? Don't tell me it accomplished nothing?!

Very well stated.... your narrative as you present it has been played repeatedly with little variation thru out the city. Thank you for your comments.

Because Detroit has been abandoned by the people that appreciate such things.
    Because Detroit has been abandoned by the people that fund such things.

There. I fixed your statement for you.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Probably saving it is not a concern of the City government because someone kept slaves there or something. That's been the rationale in the past for neglect/demolition of Detroit's historic structures.
    I think the current city government would tell you there's no money.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Why the surprise? Hasn't there been 2 threads this week with forum members feeling "urban explorers" should be treated with leniency?
    Yes. There was also a thread about the kid who was ticketed for drinking on the streets, and we repeatedly raised the point that Detroit is a city where people feel as if they can get away with anything. I understand where the disgust is coming from, but not the surprise. There are so many beautiful buildings that have been abandoned, neglected, and looted in this city. It's an old story that is always retold here.

Ultimately, no one is to blame except for the property owners and the city.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Because Detroit has been abandoned by the people that fund such things.

There. I fixed your statement for you.
    Actually outside funders which is needed have for the most part blacklisted until the pay to play ends.

"My life experience is not now nor has it ever been tied to Detroit."

Wow, 14 words sums it up as to why we are seeing what we see.That is an extremely powerful statement.

There is only one type of property ever constructed throughout the course of history that can be considered to have no value as a purpose built structure after use.

Sport stadiums.

A group of high school teenagers in Kansas figured out how to repurpose a local school verses demolition but yet we see a city full of adults that refuse to believe in their surroundings.

Where is the tipping point when the citizens finally decide that they have had enough and finally decide that it is time to take their city back? What does it take?
    Last edited by Richard; April-26-11 at 07:27 PM.

As tough as it is to understand for some, Detroit does not have the funds to take maintain many of these historic structures. And that's unfortunate, because once they're gone, that's it!

It's much like a chapter in great literature, the page is turned and that part of the story is now history.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Actually outside funders which is needed have for the most part blacklisted until the pay to play ends.

"My life experience is not now nor has it ever been tied to Detroit."

Wow, 14 words sums it up as to why we are seeing what we see.That is an extremely powerful statement.

There is only one type of property ever constructed throughout the course of history that can be considered to have no value as a purpose built structure after use.

Sport stadiums.

Where is the tipping point when the citizens finally decide that they have had enough and finally decide that it is time to take their city back? What does it take?
    I suppose that the key word here is citizens. Obviously the citizens of Detroit have enough to worry about just surviving these days, let alone get involved in historic preservation.

Those that can help, external to the city, have been excused from the picture by the Council. "Stealing our jewels" is the rallying cry, and let the past glories of Detroit go bye-bye.

English, the current city government rec'd an offer from the commander if Selfridge Air Base to secure and preserve the Armoury. I saw an email he later sent to interested parties in which he said that he had no reply from the Mayor at all. This transpired in 2011.
    So it is not true that the "funders" abandoned the City on this and it is certainly not true that the City does "not have the money" because the City only needs to board it up, secure it and keep it a scout car priority. But there is no will. You have to ask yourself why. I conclude that the Armoury is a white legacy and so dispensable.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Ultimately, no one is to blame except for the property owners and the city.
    Sorry not meaning to pick on you and meaning no disrespect ,but quit allowing the property owners [[not all are) to run the city is it by the people for the people or is it by the people for the select few.

To add credence: the commander of which I spoke is commander Eric Isaacson, U. S. Navy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast