Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mint Condition Old Woody Cars

See attached photos of old "Woody" vehicles.
    Attached Images Attached Images                                    

Any idea what kind of vehicle the first one is?

Sorry no I don't

My husband says a 41 or 42 Chrysler " barrel Back" maybe?

Attachment 9585 Brings back memories. Here's my uncles '46 Chrysler Town & Country, parked in front of 12316 Sorrento. Don't google that address unless you want to see vacant lots. Anyway, it was the very first car I ever saw that had turn signals.. Uncle Harold took off for Tucson that day and stayed there the rest of his life.

Attachment 9587

This is a '47 Chrysler Town and country that lives in the Gateway Auto Museum in Colorado.

I'm trying to imagine a cross country trip in something like that. Screw the gas prices.

We never saw those cars in Europe. The closest example there is over here is the British Morris, which I do see regularly on the roads over here.

And of course it's close relative the Mini Countryman, the original that is.

What was the reason for the creation of Woodies? Was it a demand of steel for the war effort or just plain luxury?

Just yesterday I saw a 1970's Pontiac with wood simulation passing me by. Quite rare over here in the Netherlands. It was something similar like this one. It really takes some balls and skils to maneuver a battleship like this through the narrow streets over here...
    Last edited by Whitehouse; May-01-11 at 02:37 PM.