Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Where the *uck do these turds come from?

http://detnews.com/article/20110415/...#ixzz1KObRe662

A small part of the DHS savings, about $200,000, would come from adjustments to the clothing allowance for foster children, or children of the working poor, of $79 for school clothes. Caswell said children will still get close to that $79, but would be issued gift cards that can only be used at the Salvation Army, Goodwill or other thrift stores.
    "The reason is you can get a whole lot more in a resale store," Caswell said.
    It's like he's actively trying to push malevolence and contempt for mankind out in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    http://detnews.com/article/20110415/...#ixzz1KObRe662

It's like he's actively trying to push malevolence and contempt for mankind out in the world.

What exactly is the problem????? Funding is tight, and buying used just makes sense [[Especially for those who are dependent on State funding). I'm doing fairly well, but would never be embarrassed to say that a fair amount of my wardrobe was purchased used [[Some at thrift stores, Ebay, Etc). Another big advantage of buying used is that it keeps our dollars in the local economy, instead of sending them to China, Bangladesh, India and beyond.

You have to be a small minded, hypocritical piece of shit to support Caswell's idea. What a mean cruel fucking idea. Jesus Christ on a bike.

I have no problem with the idea of buying kids clothes at a resale store. What I have a problem with is making children wear those hand-me-downs while legislators who make the decisions that they should wear them are wearing custom-made suits, giving all the benefits to the rich and getting all the perks that come from being in their position. When the legislators start living off the kind of money that most of us have [[or don't have), I will support such decisions. Take from the poor...take from the poor...take from the poor seems to be their current mantra.

Yes, such is the way -- politicians and legislators dem and repub will always live a life outside of the policies and edicts they mandate. No news there...
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    I have no problem with the idea of buying kids clothes at a resale store. What I have a problem with is making children wear those hand-me-downs while legislators who make the decisions that they should wear them are wearing custom-made suits, giving all the benefits to the rich and getting all the perks that come from being in their position. When the legislators start living off the kind of money that most of us have [[or don't have), I will support such decisions. Take from the poor...take from the poor...take from the poor seems to be their current mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    What exactly is the problem????? Funding is tight, and buying used just makes sense [[Especially for those who are dependent on State funding). I'm doing fairly well, but would never be embarrassed to say that a fair amount of my wardrobe was purchased used [[Some at thrift stores, Ebay, Etc). Another big advantage of buying used is that it keeps our dollars in the local economy, instead of sending them to China, Bangladesh, India and beyond.
    What money is being saved? 80 dollars for clothes is 80 dollars for clothes. This isn't saving one cent, it's a lot of posturing to look like he's doing something. Then again they are hand-me-down people, why should they be above hand-me-down clothes.

Here are some great thoughts about such matters [[emphasis is mine):
    "Certainly this is no time for any of us to stop thinking about the social and economic problems which are the root cause of the social revolution which is today a supreme factor in the world. For there is nothing mysterious about the foundations of a healthy and strong democracy.

The basic things expected by our people of their political and economic systems are simple. They are:

Equality of opportunity for youth and for others.

Jobs for those who can work.

Security for those who need it.

The ending of special privilege for the few.

The preservation of civil liberties for all.

The enjoyment -- The enjoyment of the fruits of scientific progress in a wider and constantly rising standard of living.

These are the simple, the basic things that must never be lost sight of in the turmoil and unbelievable complexity of our modern world. The inner and abiding strength of our economic and political systems is dependent upon the degree to which they fulfill these expectations.

Many subjects connected with our social economy call for immediate improvement. As examples:

We should bring more citizens under the coverage of old-age pensions and unemployment insurance.

We should widen the opportunities for adequate medical care.

We should plan a better system by which persons deserving or needing gainful employment may obtain it.

I have called for personal sacrifice, and I am assured of the willingness of almost all Americans to respond to that call. A part of the sacrifice means the payment of more money in taxes. In my budget message I will recommend that a greater portion of this great defense program be paid for from taxation than we are paying for today. No person should try, or be allowed to get rich out of the program, and the principle of tax payments in accordance with ability to pay should be constantly before our eyes to guide our legislation.

If the Congress maintains these principles the voters, putting patriotism ahead of pocketbooks, will give you their applause."

-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

January 6, 1941

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/spee...urfreedoms.htm

Obviously his ideas were working -- the country kept electing him.

And aren't they still someof the highest paid legislators in the country ? SInce our economy is among the lower half of states, shouldn't legislative salaries also be among the lower half of salaries?

I absolutely agree, Maxx!

Augustiner Guest

Do they sell underwear at thrift stores?

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    You have to be a small minded, hypocritical piece of shit to support Caswell's idea. What a mean cruel fucking idea. Jesus Christ on a bike.
    You're cute when you get angry.

I'm cute all of the time. I just really really hate right wing assholes and the people who love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner View Post
    Do they sell underwear at thrift stores?
    Good point! Maybe there's a second-hand store that sells "seconds"...the ones with the flaws in them. Or, I guess that just has to come out of the utility allowance.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    I'm cute all of the time. I just really really hate right wing assholes and the people who love them.
    But left-wing assholes and the people who love are ok right?

Exactly! mwah!

A lot of my kids' clothes [[and my own, and my wife's) are purchased at St. VdP, Salvation Army, Value World and garage sales. Lots are brand new, with tags. What a terrible thing, teaching kids how to spend money wisely.

Would we rather teach them that brand names clothes, fashion, and consumerism are important?

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    A lot of my kids' clothes [[and my own, and my wife's) are purchased at St. VdP, Salvation Army, Value World and garage sales. Lots are brand new, with tags. What a terrible thing, teaching kids how to spend money wisely.

Would we rather teach them that brand names clothes, fashion, and consumerism are important?
    In no way am I saying that it is shameful or demeaning or anything like that to wear these clothes. It is terrific to ENCOURAGE people to shop at these places. Maybe set up an arrangement with them so that their welfare dollars go a little further...like if they spend $50 they get a $5.00 discount...or another item for free. But there are still SOME things that cannot be purchased at a thrift store. And what if you don't have a vehicle and there aren't any thrift stores in your area? This law would apply to the whole state, not just the Detroit area. What if your local thrift store doesn't have anything in the size you or your kids wear? I'm sure they don't stock a full array of uniforms that some kids are required to wear. It would be hit and miss, at best.

I'm all for using this method...I know lots of people who are on assistance that do most of their kids clothes shopping at garage sales and mom-to-mom sales already. Most of them know how to stretch their money. But REQUIRING them to go to a thrift store...I don't think so.

In no way am I saying that it is shameful or demeaning or anything like that to wear these clothes. It is terrific to ENCOURAGE people to shop at these places. Maybe set up an arrangement with them so that their welfare dollars go a little further...like if they spend $50 they get a $5.00 discount...or another item for free. But there are still SOME things that cannot be purchased at a thrift store. And what if you don't have a vehicle and there aren't any thrift stores in your area? This law would apply to the whole state, not just the Detroit area. What if your local thrift store doesn't have anything in the size you or your kids wear? I'm sure they don't stock a full array of uniforms that some kids are required to wear. It would be hit and miss, at best.

I'm all for using this method...I know lots of people who are on assistance that do most of their kids clothes shopping at garage sales and mom-to-mom sales already. Most of them know how to stretch their money. But REQUIRING them to go to a thrift store...I don't think so.

Why would you post constructive arguments to support your position? This is Dyes.com! Wouldn't it be more appropriate to just label anyone with the opposing viewpoint as a "Small minded, hypocritical piece of shit"?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Why would you post constructive arguments to support your position? This is Dyes.com! Wouldn't it be more appropriate to just label anyone with the opposing viewpoint as a "Small minded, hypocritical piece of shit"?
    Thanks for making me smile, Johnnny5! Here is a post I did in another thread...which answers your question.

"None of us is perfect. We all have faults. Some faults are more visible than others. But with all our faults, we are, in the eyes of God, brothers and sisters. To offer constructive disapproval of someone's actions in order to help them is productive. To profer maligning statements and angry criticism is demeaning and counter-productive.

In my many years of posting on various forums and chats, I have found that everyone [[including me) thinks they have the best answers to any problem or situation. But I have also found that in many cases I have been proven wrong, and in accepting that my opinion is not always correct, I have gained much knowledge."

My theory in posting is to always state my opinion, without judging someone else's opinion; and to base my opinion on some fact or knowledge or experience that I have. Being a human, I sometimes makes mistakes and will fall back into judging...but it is my to not do that.

Now...I recognize that there are those who live for the argument...I am just not one of them. Thanks again for giving me a smile for the day!