Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Thunder/lignthing + Ginger + no sleep

ok, so my dog does not like this weather and ends up in our bed panting and shivering up a storm.[[no pun intended). so, needless to say, there is no sleep to be had. at one point, i ended up with a "fur" scarf around my neck. does anyone else's pooch do the same?

Two of my Shih Tzus used to be terrified of thunderstorms and would leap on my chest while I was in bed and try to dig their way in. The little one would just shake and cry as soon as the sky turned gray.They'd both try to hide from the storm by hiding under things and trying to dig holes in the floor, under the beds, in my chest, where ever.
    There is a jacket thing that they make for nervous dogs that is supposed to work wonders.
    https://anxietywrap.com/default.aspx
    I wish I'd have known about it when they were still alive

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    .They'd both try to hide from the storm by hiding under things and trying to dig holes in the floor, under the beds, in my chest, where ever.
    this is just what she was doing jcole, funny thing, this is a new routine for her the last year or so, never did it when she was a pup or "teenager" [[she's middleaged ya know).

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    this is just what she was doing jcole, funny thing, this is a new routine for her the last year or so, never did it when she was a pup or "teenager" [[she's middleaged ya know).
    The same thing happened with the bigger of the two Shih Tzus, Zeus; he was fine up until he turned around 8 yrs old. After that he was terrified of storms. I never could figure out why.

Now I get it, your dog's name is Ginger. I thought you were drinking ginger ale during storms and it was keeping you awake. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Now I get it, your dog's name is Ginger. I thought you were drinking ginger ale during storms and it was keeping you awake. lol
    lol...that would have one it too.

I wonder if some kind of ear plug would prevent them from hearing the thunder. Maybe a vet would know.

.......and a blindfold too from the lightning. i'll tell ya, i did take a good snooze today after only getting about 4 hours of sleep.

I really think they feel the barometric change coming; my dogs would start freaking out before the first drop of rain fell. Sometimes, they'd start whining and I go look at the radar and see that there was a storm somewhere around Flint.

i believe your right on j. i just googled it and found alot of information including medicating them. don't think i would go that far though..

I did medicate the little one when she was really bad; she had a problem with one of her eyes that when she got stressed it would really bulge and actually popped out a few times and had to be popped back in. Shih Tzu eyes are really bulgy.

why am i'm picturing marty feldman...lol. my dog is a shih tzu/maltese mix so her eyes are similar. who the heck would pop them back in?

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    why am i'm picturing marty feldman...lol. my dog is a shih tzu/maltese mix so her eyes are similar. who the heck would pop them back in?
    The vet. It happened at least 4 times that I can recall over a period of 17 yrs. It happened the first time as a puppy and apparently it weakened her eye muscle or something. That time, the lid was sewn shut for a few days and she had to wear a cone. The remaining times the vet just pushed up from the bottom and it popped back in. Pretty gross all in all, but I loved my little girl.

guess who's under my heels!.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I really think they feel the barometric change coming; my dogs would start freaking out before the first drop of rain fell. Sometimes, they'd start whining and I go look at the radar and see that there was a storm somewhere around Flint.
    My 2 greyhounds are the same way. Even with impending bad weather, they get riled up. They're too big to jump in the bed, but what they do is pace the house, panting, & bobbing their heads so the tags on their collars jangle. This went on all Saturday night.

muskie1 Guest

A friend of mine has a couple dogs and one is terrified of storms. His dog groomer told him to rub the dog down with a anti-static dryer sheet when storms were coming as the dogs ca sense the build up of electricity in the air.

I don't know how much scientific fact is behind this but he has been doing it now for a couple of years with great results.

I was in Northern California in 1971. About 1am I woke up because my dog started howling. I got up and walked outside and could hear dozens of dogs howling. It was really strange. The dogs howled all night. About 5 hours later, the San Fernando earthquake struck about 150 miles away.
    That always amazed me.

My dog Ginger, a 25# mutt, isn't phazed by thunder and lightning. She doesn't like fireworks but puts up with them quite calmly for our sakes. My sister's dog, a JRT named Tootsie, created a bomb shelter in our house and would jump into it whenever there was thunder and lightning or firecrackers or any loud noise. It was in the corner between two bookshelves. We could look in and see her eyes shining in there but she wouldn't come out until the noise stopped. Ginger seems to check our reactions, and if we are calm, she's fine.

Old Guy, I have heard of dogs and cats and even snakes predicting earthquakes. I guess the teaching of this story is to pay attention if the dog acts strangely, and try to figure out what, if any, threat could be approaching. So far, Ginger has predicted squirrel depredations in the bird feeders, but nothing climatic or seismic.

Don't worry folks! It's just La Nina keeping the jetstream unstable until this summer.

http://knowingdogs.com/articles/31-h...rstorm-phobias-

here's an article that mentions the dryer sheets and the age when dogs ususally start being affected by the storms.