Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Help: Need cheap lunch places in Southfield

I just started a temporary project for work in Southfield which has me up there a few days a week, and I'm at a loss for where to go for lunch. I'm working right over by the Town Center and only really have two conditions: [[1) I'd like to eat for ~$10.00, and [[2) the place can't be jam-packed. Also, I don't want to drive more than 5-10 minutes away.

So far, I've been to Kirby Coney Island, which was packed, Wendy's, which was fast food that I didn't want, and Chipolte, which was okay, but limited in menu options. I can't seem to find any other places. I'm so used to being downtown and having a ton of places I can easily walk to and grab something without a long wait. I figured with all of the office campuses in Southfield there would be a variety of lunch places, but unless I'm missing something, there's a severe lack of such places.

Suggestions?

Five Guys Burgers is fairly popular. It's at 12 Mi / Telegraph. The burgers are pretty decent and they give you about 10 lbs of fries!
    Also an old standby, Fishbones, is right up the road on Northwestern, just north of 12 Mile.

Pretty much everything in Southfield that fits your price range will be busy during the weekday lunch rush. To minimize that, I recommend going earlier [[11:30 or so) or later [[1ish), if your employer will allow that.

As for dining options, here are a few options.

SOHO Detroit @ http://www.sohodetroit.com/

Central Park Deli @ http://www.cpdeli.com/ They'll allow you to place your order ahead of time on-line, which minimizes your wait time.

Bangkok Hung Cafe @ http://www.yelp.com/biz/bangkok-hung-cafe-southfield

Star Deli still there at 12 and NW?

Cafe Kabob!

Thanks for the suggestions, those places all look good. I just gotta get through the month!

lilpup Guest

We always used to collect carry-out menus from the places near our work - call ahead [[or even fax) to order then dash over and pick it up when it's ready - minimizes wait time. A lot of places now have their menus online. We had one nearby bar that had a steak bites & mushroom appetizer to die for and it was enough quantity to satisfy.

One of our supervisors would often go full-bore with a huge dinner item from Applebee's for lunch.
    Last edited by lilpup; April-21-11 at 11:23 PM.

Taste of Ethiopia, Sfield near 13 Mile, in a strip mall. Great food....

If you're really near Town Center, the strip mall on Evergreen just north of 10 Mile has Kirk's Bar-B-Que, with the best meaty, fall off the bone ribs. Give them a call, and lunch will be ready for pick-up in 10-15 minutes.

Suggestions?
    Brown bag it.

star deli star deli star deli star deli

There are two good spots in the strip mall at 12 Mile and NW Hwy -- Plaza Deli and Zoup.

Plaza Deli [[a Matt Prentice restaurant) -- really big, delicious deli sandwiches
    http://mattprenticerg.com/plazadeli.html

Zoup -- they have about 200 soups that they rotate, serving about 10 of them each day; they also have sandwiches and salads
    http://www.zoup.com/Menu.aspx?LocationKey=2

Glad to hear that you tried Chipotle [[10 1/2 and Evergreen) -- their menu may be limited, but they do it well. Everything is fresh and cooked right in front of you, and everything has lots of flavor.
    Last edited by Downtown Lady; April-22-11 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Star Deli still there at 12 and NW?
    That's Plaza Deli -- Star Deli I think is on 12 Mile maybe 1 block or so west of Telegraph.

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    If you're really near Town Center, the strip mall on Evergreen just north of 10 Mile has Kirk's Bar-B-Que, with the best meaty, fall off the bone ribs. Give them a call, and lunch will be ready for pick-up in 10-15 minutes.
    Yes, you can WALK to that same strip mall and find:
    Tim Horton's - soup and sandwich specials at lunch
    Pizza Shop - Buy-a-slice or 2 and get the salad bar
    Chinese - great place to eat-in or take-out
    Subway - Jerrod recommeds the place
    Qdoba - I recommend the Mexican Gumbo with shreded pork.

If you walk across Evergreen there is a Thai place and a J.J. sandwich shop

Again, ALL walkable - just like downtown Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Cafe Kabob!
    If you haven't tried them, it should be on your list!!! Lots to choose from at very reasonable prices!

bartock Guest

There is a Potbelly right near the Town Center. It is packed at lunch but the line moves quick.

Pita Cafe is good, on Greenfield north of 10 Mile.

Cafe Kabob is excellent and cheap. Looks like a nothing strip mall restaurant, but really great.

Actually, there's a place to eat right in the lobby of Tower 2000, I eat there all the time [[my office is in that building) Good sandwiches, good soup, stuff like that. Nothing fancy, but reasonably priced and pretty tasty. I can't think of the the name of it though. It's right in the lobby, up a half flght of stairs across from the garden. you can't miss it.

One of the restaurants in the Weston right next door used to have a lunch special, something different every day. ot sure if they still do that though.

You can't get dinner there for ten bucks, but you can get lunch at Giorgio's, such as the open face burger with chutney sauce......http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/303424