Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Feds request Conyers' records

Looks like things might finally be heating up.
    Prosecutors want travel, expense forms from her term on pension board

Leonard N. Fleming and Paul Egan / The Detroit News

http://detnews.com/article/20090519/...nyers--records

A federal grand jury investigating City Hall corruption is seeking travel records and expenses of City Councilwoman Monica Conyers during her tenure on the city's General Retirement System.

A grand jury subpoena obtained by The Detroit News indicates that federal prosecutors also want the "oath of office taken after her appointment as a member of the board of trustees," any training regarding service, ethics and conflict of interest training on the board, and any ethics, conflicts of interest or disclosure forms filed by Conyers.

Pension fund officials were required to turn in the documents on May 13, but it is unclear if an extension was granted. The subpoena is dated April 30. A spokeswoman for Conyers, who recently left the pension system, referred comment to criminal attorney Steve Fishman.

"I know nothing of this," Fishman said. "I'm learning about it from you."
    Federal officials and an attorney for the pension fund declined comment.
    The Conyers subpoena is one of a series of grand jury subpoenas served on the General Retirement System and the Detroit Police and Fire Retirement System as part of the City Hall corruption investigation.

The Detroit News reported in April that one of the subpoenas sought documents related to a General Retirement System investment called Avignon Holdings in a residential real estate development near Sarasota, Fla.

Joe Capozzoli, president of CAP Advisors of Northville, which brought that investment to the pension fund, said he understood federal investigators were interested in a trip one of the trustees took to Florida to inspect the investment.

Persons familiar with the investigation said Monica Conyers flew to Florida, accompanied by one of her sons, to inspect the Avignon Holdings investment. Conyers, who until last week was council president, has kept a low public profile at City Hall in recent days and has been absent from several meetings.

The FBI and the U.S. Attorney's office are conducting a wide-ranging investigation of contracting at City Hall that dates to at least 2005. It involves the city pension funds, a consulting business run by ex-Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's father, deals at Cobo Center and a multimillion-dollar city sludge contract, among other areas of inquiry.

Thanks for the heads up Leland!

Looks like the slow going Federal investigation has cast a pretty wide net.... let's see how many big fish get caught...

Someone needs to "do her job, do her job!" Right now Monica is missing her second regular council meeting since losing the presidency.

A quick google check shows that Walter Stampor, executive director of the City's Pension Fund is moonlighting as a manager for Avignon Holdings LLC.

http://www.corporationwiki.com/Flori...c-3816410.aspx

From a June 2008 Sarasota Times article, the Avignon project has gone belly up ... btw, the Detroit Pension fund invested $14 million in the project.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...-1/newssitemap

In May of 2008 the Pension Board paid Joe Capozzilo a $20,000 Acquisition Fee.

A year earlier in 2007, a blanket lien was placed on the entire project
    http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...TATE/706280309

Since the project was partially built, and folks had already moved in, each homeowner had a lien placed on the their properties thereby forbidding them to sell their properties.
    The basic concept of Florida's lien law is that people who improve someone else's property are entitled to be paid, said Clifford Walters, a partner with Bradenton's Blalock Walters law firm.

The problem comes when that property has been transferred from the company that contracted for the improvements.

"That creates a lot of heartache, a lot of heartburn," Walters said. "The buyers already paid money to the seller. The dispute doesn't involve them. It involves the former owner and its contractors. But the contractors are allowed to escalate the matter and get everyone's attention."

So, the project is going belly up in 2007, Capozzila still recommends to get involved and collects a $20,000 fee for that good advice in 2008. Wonder if that has anything to do with the head of the Pension Fund being an Officer for the parent company, Avignon Holdings?

WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    Someone needs to "do her job, do her job!" Right now Monica is missing her second regular council meeting since losing the presidency.
    First part is funny. Second part has me dancing on the ceiling. Stay away, better yet, stay at home.

Yes, it's not necessarily a bad thing that she has gone M.I.A.

She finally rolled out of bed.

are the council goings-ons streaming anywhere online?

Default i really wish the feds would hurry up

They have been investigating for what seems like an eternity they have to some evidence to make some indictments already. I really wish they could act before we have fall elections so that the city does not have to spend more money on another special election.

I believe the hold up on the indictments is due to one investigations has opened up a big can of worms. The Feds began by focusing on particular parties and discovered more and more corruptions, obviously with more and more players. By the time this all unfolds, those involved will have aged so bad or have had heart attacks worrying of the day they have to sit in the courtroom and defend their crooked actions. I don't know how Monica or Sam Riddle can sleep at night [[just to name a few).

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    A quick google check shows that Walter Stampor, executive director of the City's Pension Fund is moonlighting as a manager for Avignon Holdings LLC.

http://www.corporationwiki.com/Flori...c-3816410.aspx

From a June 2008 Sarasota Times article, the Avignon project has gone belly up ... btw, the Detroit Pension fund invested $14 million in the project.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...-1/newssitemap

In May of 2008 the Pension Board paid Joe Capozzilo a $20,000 Acquisition Fee.

A year earlier in 2007, a blanket lien was placed on the entire project
    http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...TATE/706280309

Since the project was partially built, and folks had already moved in, each homeowner had a lien placed on the their properties thereby forbidding them to sell their properties.

So, the project is going belly up in 2007, Capozzila still recommends to get involved and collects a $20,000 fee for that good advice in 2008. Wonder if that has anything to do with the head of the Pension Fund being an Officer for the parent company, Avignon Holdings?

WTF?
    OMG, this is beyond belief, why are the people who's pensions are at risk not screaming about this.

Welcome to the forum JA, I'm rather surprised no one else commented on that post. It was a bit of a shock to see that Walter Stampor listed his address on the Florida Corporation records as being the Coleman Young Building.

Really, look at it. Walter Stampor, Executive Director of the Pension Fund, is listed as an Officer of Avignon Holdings going back to 2006. He invested pension money in a company he partially owned. He invested City pension money in a project that was already going belly-up.

Doesn't anyone else find that interesting?

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Doesn't anyone else find that interesting?
    it's appauling, but its also par for the course

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    I don't know how Monica . . . can sleep at night.
    Maybe a lack of sleep is why she's insane. I'm always hearing stories about her black eyes.

No wonder she's been missing council meetings. Feeling kind of sick Monica?
    Must be the prison pig blues.

Yes, do your job and come to work must not mean anything to MC. I did hear she was on a radio station today.
    The Feds have their plates over-running with this mess. I guess in politics it's too difficult not to be corrupt.???

Quote Originally Posted by RayStar View Post
    Yes, do your job and come to work must not mean anything to MC. I did hear she was on a radio station today.
    The Feds have their plates over-running with this mess. I guess in politics it's too difficult not to be corrupt.???
    Or is it in politics it's your right to be corrupt???