Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

lilpup Guest

Default Reality tv shows

Some reality tv shows are utter crap but are there any you'd consider potentially beneficial and would welcome to the area?

I just read that LA schools wouldn't cooperate with "Food Revolution" - would a show like that have some use here?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...afeterias.html

I'm not a fan of reality shows either, although I enjoy watching Amazing Race. I didn't watch the first season of Food Revolution, but its premise got me curious so I've been watching it the past couple weeks. Obesity and health problems associated with poor nutrition are rampant in the US, so I applaud his efforts in trying to improve the food options offered in schools. That said, the occasional burger, pizza or other snack isn't going to hurt.

http://wwcsd.net/assets/pdfs/lunchme...l-april-11.pdf

Here's a current menu from my high school. I graduated in 2007 and it seems the lunch menu hasn't changed. They offered healthy options like salads, fruits, vegetables and sandwiches, but I can tell you most people always got the nachos, pizza, fried chicken, etc. These lunches were served with cartons of fries. I ate the school lunches, but I didn't overeat, would brown bag it some days and my Mom would make home-cooked meals at home. Although I'm young, I go for a check-up once a year. The doctor and blood test results say everything's good. I don't know what I would change in the schools, but moderation, portion control and making other good choices are key. I think totally banning pop amongst other extreme options is a bit much.

As a note - Whenever someone bought a pop in the lunch line, they were required to take a pretzel stick, although most people didn't eat theirs. I imagine a single stick doesn't cost much, but with hundreds of students buying pops over the course of a school year, that's a lot of wasted money!

Every woman over 25 in my extended family -- including me -- loves HGTV. I wish there were an HGTV [[or Planet Green) show solely focused on Detroit/Pittsburgh/other Rust Belt city rehabs. The closest thing currently is Renovation Nation.

Survivor Detroit
    or
    The Mad Real World

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ljbad89 View Post
    I'm not a fan of reality shows either, although I enjoy watching Amazing Race. I didn't watch the first season of Food Revolution, but its premise got me curious so I've been watching it the past couple weeks. Obesity and health problems associated with poor nutrition are rampant in the US, so I applaud his efforts in trying to improve the food options offered in schools. That said, the occasional burger, pizza or other snack isn't going to hurt.

http://wwcsd.net/assets/pdfs/lunchme...l-april-11.pdf

Here's a current menu from my high school. I graduated in 2007 and it seems the lunch menu hasn't changed. They offered healthy options like salads, fruits, vegetables and sandwiches, but I can tell you most people always got the nachos, pizza, fried chicken, etc. These lunches were served with cartons of fries. I ate the school lunches, but I didn't overeat, would brown bag it some days and my Mom would make home-cooked meals at home. Although I'm young, I go for a check-up once a year. The doctor and blood test results say everything's good. I don't know what I would change in the schools, but moderation, portion control and making other good choices are key. I think totally banning pop amongst other extreme options is a bit much.

As a note - Whenever someone bought a pop in the lunch line, they were required to take a pretzel stick, although most people didn't eat theirs. I imagine a single stick doesn't cost much, but with hundreds of students buying pops over the course of a school year, that's a lot of wasted money!

I can't think of a one of these fakes that should even be on the air.. They're all scripted and pre-planned.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Every woman over 25 in my extended family -- including me -- loves HGTV. I wish there were an HGTV [[or Planet Green) show solely focused on Detroit/Pittsburgh/other Rust Belt city rehabs. The closest thing currently is Renovation Nation.
    Oh, you have no idea. My kids actually make fun of all the HGTV I watch, but I got them hooked. My tops are House Hunters [[and International) and Miami Splash. Renovation Nation is awesome as well. Areas like this are teeming with property to be taken advantage of.

My wife and I were addicted to HGTV's canadian channel too for a year and a half. They don't have the HD channel version, so I quit cold turkey. Then I guess that got me to watch more shows like Intervention and Hoarders. Hoarders shows people who pile up stuff. Pizzas and pumpkins left on counters for months is a real treat in HD. Lots of WTF's when watching that particular show. It is the antithesis of decorator shows, but it does the trick in an odd way...

A possible reality show that would be a huge would be based on the Detroit politics. Think of the entertainment value

Reality programming is a popular way to get ordinary people to become 15 minute superstars. It also make has been celebrities get back on track [[like Betty White). Some reality program could be scripted, others are the REAL DEAL! You all have to look at the interpretation and conceptual space of the contestant[[s) and its enviroment[[s) to figure out what are they doing and why their attitude or persona is either kept safe or being kicked off.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

It's up to the viewers to see what's behind the looking glass.

Neda, I miss you so.
    Last edited by Danny; April-20-11 at 08:23 AM.

Detroit almost had the Real World. It was right before the SuperBowl was in town.
    I had looked at the construction drawings for the Viacom/MTV office space. They were going to take over a large floor space in one of the Royal Oak Lofts.

A possible reality show that would be a huge would be based on the Detroit politics.

I always thought that would be a good for a sitcom kinda like The Office. Starring a thuggish type mayor and the politial antics that go along with it.

Some reality program could be scripted, others are the REAL DEAL!
    None of what people label 'reality shows' are real in any way. They are scripted and planned to the last detail including who 'wins'. It's all about ratings and behind the scenes deals. They're nothing but game shows.

The only programs on TV that could be described at 'reality' are shows like COPS, The First 48, The Shift, Animal Cops, and a few others. And even those are heavily edited.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    Detroit almost had the Real World. It was right before the SuperBowl was in town.
    I had looked at the construction drawings for the Viacom/MTV office space. They were going to take over a large floor space in one of the Royal Oak Lofts.
    Shouldn't this be Royal Oak almost had the Real World, then? After all, as so many here remind us, Royal Oak is not Detroit.

People watch reality shows because there is nothing else on - they're cheaper to produce because they don't have to pay writers. I'd rather watch a bad "b" movie than acknowledge there are real people willing to expose their foibles before large aduiences.

There are a lot of concepts that might work. One that doesn't work is Hardcore Pawn, which features shoddy production values. The program is an embarrassment to the city.

I don't recall Betty White being on any reality show.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    People watch reality shows because there is nothing else on - they're cheaper to produce because they don't have to pay writers. I'd rather watch a bad "b" movie than acknowledge there are real people willing to expose their foibles before large aduiences.
    I'll second that. Except I'd rather watch my fingernails grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I can't think of a one of these fakes that should even be on the air.. They're all scripted and pre-planned.
    I am a mortgage banker in Chicago and one of my customers was filmed for My First Place on HGTV during her process. She is the only person on the loan and she called all the shots. The producers made it look like there was drama because she had to check with her boyfriend before making an offer. In reality the decision was all hers. They also staged the closing scene in my office days after the real closing because the title company in Chicago would not let HGTV film in their office. The episode was filmed Aug 2007. It did not air until Dec 2009 and it has been in rotation since then. I still get a text when people see me.
    Last edited by xphillipjrx; April-21-11 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Survivor Detroit
    or
    The Mad Real World
    I will go for Survivor Detroit. Twenty contestants to live on Zug Island breathing toxic air and required to compete to be the sole survivor. Winner gets a million dollars and a pair of black lungs.

The networks are pulling the plug soon on daytime SOAPS to replace them with reality shows. I cant help thinking back to the"Carol Burnett Show" and their interpretation of a soap "As The Stomach Turns".