Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Long, long ago....

There was once a fish and chip joint around Troy I believe. Late 60's, early 70's. What made it unique was they had a screen playing black/white silent movies. If I recall, the tables were glass/laminated with old early 1900 newspapers. Seems the paper in the food basket was newspaper themed as well. Does anyone recall this restaurant and it's name?

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brendamo View Post
    There was once a fish and chip joint around Troy I believe. Late 60's, early 70's. What made it unique was they had a screen playing black/white silent movies. If I recall, the tables were glass/laminated with old early 1900 newspapers. Seems the paper in the food basket was newspaper themed as well. Does anyone recall this restaurant and it's name?
    Was it Arthur Treacher's?

I don't know. Do you recall a place that fits my description?

Wasn't there a chain of ice cream parlors that kind of fit the description in the post? Farrell's, maybe.

http://www.farrellsusa.com/

I think it was Arthur Treacher's, if i recall, the newsprint was in the tables because of the tradition of wrapping the fish and chips in newspaper

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brendamo View Post
    I don't know. Do you recall a place that fits my description?
    Well, I used to eat there, and I remember the tables and fishwrap being newsprint. English reproduction papers, if I recall.

I've been there too. Don't think it was Arthur Treachers which was more like Long John Silver's.

Remember the Black and White movies though. This is going to bug me for days.

The Ground Round at 13 and Woodward had fish and chips and clam strips in Baskets.